progressing through a group of cyclists

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
martinn

progressing through a group of cyclists

Post by martinn »

Hi all,

On my way home after an on-call shift the other morning, I came up behind and caught a group of around 20-30 cyclists. this was along a narrow country lane, and they were riding two abreast, which I have no problem with. Now I would have quite liked to make progress through this group but could not quite see how, as I could not see far enough ahead to over take the entire group and there were no gaps.
What is the etiquette here? I decided that after overtaking the back markers, I would just sit and wait. (I did have two full paniers on my old steel bike, and I had already said good morning, loudly, which had elicited no response)
Of interest to myself, this was the first time I had experienced the effects of riding at the back of a large group of cyclists, I was amazed at how much easier it was to cycle.

Many thanks
Martin
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: progressing through a group of cyclists

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I treat them like peds on a shared path.........just keep dinging away.......I have had to ding bikes too on cycle and shared paths.........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Excuse me please, I'd like to come past.
May I overtake?
Sorry, in a hurry, can I just...?

:D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

And if being polite doesn't work, AirZound :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
drossall

Post by drossall »

There's no protocol for this, because one rider isn't supposed to be able to overtake 20 in normal circumstances. The only known method is to slip up the side to a few riders back from the front, then launch a devastating attack and keep it going for the next 100 miles with Phil Liggett describing your every move.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

drossall wrote:There's no protocol for this, because one rider isn't supposed to be able to overtake 20 in normal circumstances. The only known method is to slip up the side to a few riders back from the front, then launch a devastating attack and keep it going for the next 100 miles with Phil Liggett describing your every move.

:D
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes this is the time when u need a very very loud horn preferably one that sounds like an HGV....see them scatter.... one way or another...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ring the bell. Ask the back marker to call rider up. If they do not then call it yourself. If that fails call single out then car up and see if they move but that is fairly naughty.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

drossall wrote:There's no protocol for this, because one rider isn't supposed to be able to overtake 20 in normal circumstances. The only known method is to slip up the side to a few riders back from the front, then launch a devastating attack and keep it going for the next 100 miles with Phil Liggett describing your every move.

....and getting it wrong all the time; every time you overtake another cyclist one he'll be saying 'and drossal isn't going to be able to take his challenge any further against this competition'
martinn

Post by martinn »

mjr wrote:Ring the bell. Ask the back marker to call rider up. If they do not then call it yourself. If that fails call single out then car up and see if they move but that is fairly naughty.

I will have to remember that one. :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

I probably should have written "ask the back marker to help you to overtake" because "rider up" isn't a universal call. "Car up" is more common but - like I wrote - abusing it is a bit naughty... but then so is making it difficult to overtake without good reason :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Flinders wrote:....and getting it wrong all the time; every time you overtake another cyclist one he'll be saying 'and drossal isn't going to be able to take his challenge any further against this competition'

Hmmm. Doesn't sound too far off the mark to me :oops: :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:I probably should have written "ask the back marker to help you to overtake" because "rider up" isn't a universal call. "Car up" is more common but - like I wrote - abusing it is a bit naughty... but then so is making it difficult to overtake without good reason :twisted:

Any of the clubs I've ridden with would have known it was stranger in their midst... they all use 'oil up' ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:Any of the clubs I've ridden with would have known it was stranger in their midst... they all use 'oil up' ;)

Yeah but you only ride with kinky clubs :lol:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Any of the clubs I've ridden with would have known it was stranger in their midst... they all use 'oil up' ;)

Yeah but you only ride with kinky clubs :lol:

:shock: oi! :wink: