Help with choosing bike type and/or commute through London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aspiringcyclist

Re: Help with choosing bike type and/or commute through Lond

Post by aspiringcyclist »

Hopefully 'mini Holland' improves conditions for cycling in Enfield. I see many people waiting at bus stops and I know Edmonton in particular has a low car ownership rate. Public transport cannot cope and it will become even more expensive so being able to cycle will help these people. They are supposed to improve the A1010, A105, and A110.

On the other hand the A1010 was much better this morning, even fun.
aspiringcyclist

One other thing I wanted to ask. Today a bus stopped slightly in front of me a few times. Normally you can overtake it as the traffic is clear but in this case there was stationary traffic on the right. There was no space to filter on the right of that traffic. Is it generally a bad idea to filter between the traffic and the bus that has just stopped to let passengers on/off?
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Were you in a bus lane or a single carriageway? Is your query about filtering on the right or left side of the bus?

I rarely filter on the left unless I'm certain it's safe, and would always avoid the left side of a bus or HGV – in most instances keeping right is much safer, though not hazard-free. If it's gridlock all round and there's sufficient room with no blockages further down, I'd proceed slowly on the right, looking out for space to tuck in if traffic starts moving again. Eye contact with drivers when I need to rejoin the queue generally ensures they give way :) .

Before filtering, I always ensure I have a decent view ahead, otherwise I'll stay put in primary. Would rather be a slow loris than a flat one :shock: . I'd want to keep large vehicles in front unless I can get well past them - leapfrogging buses can be very annoying. In slow moving or stationary traffic I'll keep a good distance behind on the right, so I'm visible in their wing mirror and can see further in front, ready to nip out and filter on the outside if there's room.

Be aware when you're filtering that it's likely another bike or motorbike will be, too. Regular shoulder checks help to avoid nasty surprises.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
aspiringcyclist

Slow Loris wrote:Were you in a bus lane or a single carriageway? Is your query about filtering on the right or left side of the bus?

I rarely filter on the left unless I'm certain it's safe, and would always avoid the left side of a bus or HGV – in most instances keeping right is much safer, though not hazard-free. If it's gridlock all round and there's sufficient room with no blockages further down, I'd proceed slowly on the right, looking out for space to tuck in if traffic starts moving again. Eye contact with drivers when I need to rejoin the queue generally ensures they give way :) .

Before filtering, I always ensure I have a decent view ahead, otherwise I'll stay put in primary. Would rather be a slow loris than a flat one :shock: . I'd want to keep large vehicles in front unless I can get well past them - leapfrogging buses can be very annoying. In slow moving or stationary traffic I'll keep a good distance behind on the right, so I'm visible in their wing mirror and can see further in front, ready to nip out and filter on the outside if there's room.

Be aware when you're filtering that it's likely another bike or motorbike will be, too. Regular shoulder checks help to avoid nasty surprises.

I pretty much agree with and follow everything you said. In this instance I'm not sure. The bus was stopped at the bus lane and the right lane has stationary traffic. Because of oncoming traffic, you couldn't overtake on the far right. You obviously couldn't overtake on the left either. That leaves the middle. Is it unwise to go between the bus and stationary cars when the bus has only stopped to let passengers on and off?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It's probably okay to go between a bus and a queue of stationary cars, if there is room for you (more than just a couple of feet!). You need to be certain that the bus won't move off whilst you are overtaking it. So if you can't see that the bus has just stopped and there are plenty of people to go off and on, it's best to wait behind the bus or for safe filtering on the outside.

Each situation has to be taken on it's own. It's impossible for one of us to say, 'yes, it's safe to filter between a bus and a stationary queue of traffic' without being there. Use your judgement, and if it doesn't feel safe, don't do it :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
aspiringcyclist

Vorpal wrote:It's probably okay to go between a bus and a queue of stationary cars, if there is room for you (more than just a couple of feet!). You need to be certain that the bus won't move off whilst you are overtaking it. So if you can't see that the bus has just stopped and there are plenty of people to go off and on, it's best to wait behind the bus or for safe filtering on the outside.

Each situation has to be taken on it's own. It's impossible for one of us to say, 'yes, it's safe to filter between a bus and a stationary queue of traffic' without being there. Use your judgement, and if it doesn't feel safe, don't do it :)

Thanks again.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Sorry if my reply was unclear – it's tricky without seeing the road but it sounds like filtering would be unwise in this situation. I was originally suggesting filtering to the right of the bus between the stationery traffic you described – but only if there's enough space and vehicles are unlikely to be moving for a while. I rarely find that opportunity. Being stuck behind a bus is frustrating and I would probably merge with outside lane while it's stationery. At slow speeds I wouldn't be holding anyone up, and I wouldn't get held up by the buses.

Edit: Vorpal's post beat me to it :)
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
aspiringcyclist

Do you guys feel safe cycling if you can't maintain a decent speed? I say this because there are several roads, particularly as you leave central London, where traffic speeds are greater but overtaking possibilities reduced. Thus being able to reach a good speed and maintain it will help prevent attempts at bad overtakes and prevent possible harassment. In this case I'm talking about narrow roads, blind bends, parked cars, and pinch points. Today for example I was cycling through a series of pinch points in primary and eventually caught up with the traffic in front ( with burning legs). Despite this, the driver behind me was revving his engine and started shouting at me. He then attempted to brake test when he did overtake. There will always be MGIF drivers irrespective of your speed of the other traffic speeds, but I think being able cycle quickly helps with this as much as being in primary does.

Unfortunately this limits the convenience of cycling as it means you have to have a fast bike, preferably clothes suited to cycling, and a way to deal with sweat.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yes, I feel safe. It's uncomfortable and less fun because of the abuse I get in those situations, but it's not unsafe. I've got fairly fast bikes but there are limits to how quick I move when I'm pulling a load.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
aspiringcyclist

Ok that's good to know. Definitely allows you to expand the opportunities to cycle.
aspiringcyclist

So today I was riding central on a bus lane when a taxi cab driver passed me with about a foot of space. When I spoke to him about it later and he claimed that according to the national cycling standard and the highway code you must ride on the left. I tried to dispute it but he basically ignored me. What was amusing was his statement that if you ride on the left, no one will touch you.

Anyway, I have video evidence and his license plate number and am wondering whether reporting him would be a good idea. At the very least he should be reminded ( or taught apparently) about what cyclists are allowed to do and how you are meant to pass cyclists.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

aspiringcyclist wrote:
Anyway, I have video evidence and his license plate number and am wondering whether reporting him would be a good idea. At the very least he should be reminded ( or taught apparently) about what cyclists are allowed to do and how you are meant to pass cyclists.

I would suggest reporting it. It may do no good, it will certainly take some of your time, but there is the chance it might do some good.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I generally think that it is a good idea to report bad driving if you have enough information. The most it's likely to get you is a note on the driver's record, or a word from a police officer. Frankly, you may have a hard time getting them to take it seriously. I have had mixed responses from the police. Some officers have taken bad driving seriously, and made a report on just a partial plate, whilst others implied that because I am vulnerable, it's my responsibility to keep myself safe, and the police can't pursue every case of bad driving. :roll: :roll:

You may also want to consider writing to the taxi company, which may get more result. Describe what occurred and ask them to provide their drivers with cyclists awareness training.

If you do decide to report to the police, have a look at viewtopic.php?p=600003#p600003

Good luck!

edited to add: I've known cyclists to carry around a copy of the Highway Code just for 'discussions' like that. If you need something quick & easy to shout back, it's 'Rule 163' 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
aspiringcyclist

Vorpal wrote:I generally think that it is a good idea to report bad driving if you have enough information. The most it's likely to get you is a note on the driver's record, or a word from a police officer. Frankly, you may have a hard time getting them to take it seriously. I have had mixed responses from the police. Some officers have taken bad driving seriously, and made a report on just a partial plate, whilst others implied that because I am vulnerable, it's my responsibility to keep myself safe, and the police can't pursue every case of bad driving. :roll: :roll:

You may also want to consider writing to the taxi company, which may get more result. Describe what occurred and ask them to provide their drivers with cyclists awareness training.

If you do decide to report to the police, have a look at viewtopic.php?p=600003#p600003

Good luck!

edited to add: I've known cyclists to carry around a copy of the Highway Code just for 'discussions' like that. If you need something quick & easy to shout back, it's 'Rule 163' 8)

Yes I was thinking of carrying a highway code for just that purpose.

My main concern was that he thought it was according to the national cycling standard so I primarily want someone in authority to tell him otherwise.

Edit: I've read the first post of the quoted thread. I think in this instance it is overkill. Is there no way to have the driver be 'told off' without following those steps?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Not if you want it on his driving record. However, you have a limited amount of time to make a police report.

Otherwise, you can try writing to his taxi company, and see what they say.