Help with choosing bike type and/or commute through London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aspiringcyclist

Re: Help with choosing bike type and/or commute through Lond

Post by aspiringcyclist »

AndyBSG wrote:
Personally, when i'm in that area I prefer to go down the A1010 but i'd avoid the A10 during rush hour like the plague. You can make good speed on it compared to the metal cans on wheels that are stuck in gridlock but every junction is taking your life in your hands.

Do you mean the section of the A10 that joins the A1010 and goes into the centre or Great Cambridge Road? If it is the latter, I'm definitely avoiding that. The former may be on my route and they are supposedly going to build a cycling superhighway on it but considering the other ones I will be dubious of its effectiveness.
aspiringcyclist

Vorpal wrote:A couple things about commuting, even on main roads....

Try all of the routes. Try them different days, or ride each for a week at a time. Get to know them well. It will provide you with variety in what may otherwise become repetitive. It will also give you alternatives in case of closures or problems.

I think what may seem intimidating now, will seem less so as you gain confidence. Agressive driving does occur, and more frequently in London than other places. However, it's not so common as all those videos on YouTube would have you think.

That said, there is quite a bit that an individual cyclist can do to prevent and avoid bad experiences on the road. Get a book called Cyclecraft by John Franklin http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

As for bikes... have a look at what's available at http://www.stationbicycles.co.uk/ They carry practical second hand bikes that have been serviced and checked over.

A full sized bike will probably be more comfortable and faster, though I know people ride folding bikes for long distances. A folding bike does have the advantage that it will go on the train.

If it were me, I would make a list of purchase criteria, then go ride some bikes. Probably at more than one shop. I think that LCC have a list bike shops on their site.

Some criteria for purchase that you may want to include are:
*size - it's got to be the right size for you or it won't be comfortable to commute on; a fitting is best, or help from a knowledgeable professional
*takes mudguards - this is important for bad weather riding; otherwise you'll end up with slurry of road gunge up your back
*luggage carrying capacity - will you need to carry books? laptop or tablet? clothes? You will probably want a rack if you need to regularly carry more than just puncture repair equipment
*takes winter tyres - if you plan to commute year round, you may want to put winter tyres on the bike; if so, it will need extra clearance for those tyres
*gearing - this might not be so important if you have a flat commute and only light luggage, but if you also want to do the shopping on it, or have some hills to consider (I don't know the route), you may want low gears.

Other than that, you may have your own criteria, such as type of handlebars,

Great advice! Thanks.
aspiringcyclist

Slow Loris wrote:TFL have changed their website since I last looked. It took some searching, but here's a link to those maps:
https://tfl.gov.uk/forms/12419.aspx

Don't underestimate what you can do on a bike - it's often easy enough to match the speed of motorists in rush hour, and you are just as much traffic as they are. A bus will feel unbearably slow in comparison :wink: .

I ordered some maps a few days ago. Do you know how long it takes them to deliver them?
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

They're not particularly speedy. I ordered some updated maps a while ago and, if I remember, they took about 10 days.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
AM7

Post by AM7 »

aspiringcyclist wrote:As I said I have a route if I can take the lea river. What I don't have is route that doesn't involve the towpath. I enter the towpath near Seven Sisters tube station so would need to be able to get from there to Waltham Cross ( or perhaps from somewhere else) and the A1010 seems like the only way.

If you head up towards Tottenham Hale, there is a segregated cycle path alongside the A1055 Meridien Way from just north of Tottenham Hale to at least as far as Brimsdown I believe. Maybe further although if you do have to go onto the road, it's not too far onto Waltham Cross from there. I've cycled it as far as Ponders End many times and it's pretty well lit at night. The main downside is that there's a fair bit of road debris, so decent tyres recommended!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

if u can find some where to park at college get a small motor bike ( if u have the license ) much better than a push bike any day and u will save your precious time & energy for more important things.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:if u can find some where to park at college get a small motor bike ( if u have the license ) much better than a push bike any day and u will save your precious time & energy for more important things.

That costs money to fuel and the lack of exercise can make you fat.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I was at university, I found I needed some daily exercise (or several times a week) to balance studying. When I couldn't ride my bike (winters in Midwest USA), I learned to use the gym or do winter sports. It helped me clear my brain and relieve stress.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

mercalia wrote:if u can find some where to park at college get a small motor bike

:?

mjr wrote:That costs money to fuel and the lack of exercise can make you fat.

Vorpal wrote:When I was at university, I found I needed some daily exercise (or several times a week) to balance studying.

+1. The OP came to a cycling forum for advice. The distance is perfectly doable with the right build up and preparation, as many others who enjoy their commute to work or college will testify :) . I thought push bikes were motor bikes that had broken down :wink: .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
aspiringcyclist

I have read 'Cyclecraft' and I think it is very helpful; definitely worth a re read. I will most likely do a Bikeability course a well. Looking at the Tfl bike maps, I've devised 3 routes possible routes I could take. One goes along and follows Hertforshire Road. The other two have one along the West of Great Cambridge Road and one on the east. They are both quite sinuous and are about 15.5 miles each, although the latter has to travel though the North Circular or you must dismount. I think I prefer the former. I guess it will come down to experience and confidence.

I don't think my current bike is suitable for this journey, however. It is not a well maintained Raleigh Pioneer 140. I would prefer something more suitable for the roads but with that comes the worry of theft. Apart from this 'bike vault' (http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2014/jul/bike-vault-be-rolled-out-bloomsbury-square-racks-lockers-and-showers) which I will have to check out first, there is no opportunity for indoor parking. Besides the essential deterrent of correct locking with good quality locks, I was thinking I could take the front wheel with me, replace the screws and bolts with more uncommon heads if possible, and painting the bike a more unappealing colour with 'not for sale' written on it. How effective is registering your bike and insurance?

One more thing, when buying a bike can you exchange a saddle for a more comfortable one for you before buying? Or do you have to pay for the bike with the existing saddle and then buy a new saddle?
Pugwash

Post by Pugwash »

That is a long ride to do every day, unless you want to be doing a LOT of maintainence particularly over the winter you need a reliable bike.

Think marathon plus tyres, hub gears, full chain case, mud guards and dynamo lights.

Also it is likely you are going to be carrying a laptop and books - get this weight off your back and get a rack and pannier.

IMO it is too far to do every day, maybe cycle a couple of days a week.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Why don't you have a shop do a service on your Raleigh? Even if it hasn't been well maintained, it may not take much to put it back into a rideable condition.

If nothing else, maybe the Raleigh can be your bad weather /winter bike? I think it will take winter tyres? If you have it serviced you can ask the shop.

When commuting daily, it's good to have a second bike for lots of reasons. The biggest is that if one bike needs some maintenance, you have an alternative while you work on it/find parts, etc.

Make some bike-savvy friends at school and learn to do your own maintenance. It will save you money :D

As for security... yes, having a rubbish looking bike will help. If nothing else, you can do a custom paint job with some Hammerite ;)

For locking it, the best thing to do is to carry two locks of different types. One to lock the frame and back wheel to something substantial, and the other to lock the front wheel to the frame, or to something else, depending what is available. Any lock can be broken, but if yours is much more trouble than the others around, it will probably be left alone. That's my bike security philosophy. If your seat post has a quick release, replace it with a bolt that requires tools, or take the saddle with you and put it in a locker, or something. Same with any detachable lights or other equipment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
aspiringcyclist

Vorpal wrote:Why don't you have a shop do a service on your Raleigh? Even if it hasn't been well maintained, it may not take much to put it back into a rideable condition.

If nothing else, maybe the Raleigh can be your bad weather /winter bike? I think it will take winter tyres? If you have it serviced you can ask the shop.

When commuting daily, it's good to have a second bike for lots of reasons. The biggest is that if one bike needs some maintenance, you have an alternative while you work on it/find parts, etc.

Make some bike-savvy friends at school and learn to do your own maintenance. It will save you money :D

As for security... yes, having a rubbish looking bike will help. If nothing else, you can do a custom paint job with some Hammerite ;)

For locking it, the best thing to do is to carry two locks of different types. One to lock the frame and back wheel to something substantial, and the other to lock the front wheel to the frame, or to something else, depending what is available. Any lock can be broken, but if yours is much more trouble than the others around, it will probably be left alone. That's my bike security philosophy. If your seat post has a quick release, replace it with a bolt that requires tools, or take the saddle with you and put it in a locker, or something. Same with any detachable lights or other equipment.

A few reasons. I'm not the only one who uses it so it would be useful to have another. My mum can commute by bike to work, for example. It is also a bit heavy ( 16.5 kg ) and slower than other bikes. I would prefer a bike is more suited to the roads as I said. I do intend to do my own maintenance as far as possible, especially as it will be much more necessary. I have been reading the book on bike maintenance by Lennard Zinn.

I do already use that locking technique. I see so many other bikes locked badly so mine isn't as easy pickings. Is it possible to replace bots and screws with ones that have a less common head type to prevent simple unscrewing with a hex key or Phillips head screwdriver?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yes. I think pitlock is one make of unusual headed bolts and so on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
aspiringcyclist

mjr wrote:Yes. I think pitlock is one make of unusual headed bolts and so on.

Thanks.