Help with choosing bike type and/or commute through London

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
aspiringcyclist

Re: Help with choosing bike type and/or commute through Lond

Post by aspiringcyclist »

Hmm I would be happy if I knew he was told that it was unacceptable driving as he seemed to have a misunderstanding. However, his attitude was bad compared to a few other drivers whom I spoke to for the same reason so perhaps it is a good idea.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The most important part about reporting something is that if others have reported him, the police are much more likely to do something. If no one reports him, they won't ever do anything.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91937 may also be of interest.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
aspiringcyclist

Looking at the footage again it appears this taxi driver pulled out of a junction without stopping and looking when there were clearly many pedestrians blocking his view. It looked like dangerous driving in my opinion and it was only fortunate that there were no other road users.

If I uploaded the video on youtube as unlisted, would someone be interested in viewing it so I can have another opinion? I will message the person a link.
aspiringcyclist

Yesterday I saw a car whose driver, when the lights turned red, overtook a car in front which had stopped and jumped the red light. This seems like a clear case where a driver could be convicted. Unfortunately, I only managed to get a partial license plate when I read it out and the video footage couldn't read it either. Even though it was at night I find this suspicious as the camera catches most license plates from the such a close distance; it could be a fake plate.

What should I do?

Edit: also, is there a webpage where I can search vehicle license plates?
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

@aspiringcyclist

I have enjoyed the thread, and I would be very interested in the decisions you made within your £750 budget, and your reflections a couple if months in.

I've had to get everything this year for similar (though not identical ) uses - I'm doing fitness, errands within about 10 miles, and touring/recreational. My surprises have been:

The number of extras that need to be bought for a bike used seriously. I have spent about 150% of the cost of the bike on necessary (mainly) extras.
That almost anything of reasonable quality/function added will cost £30-60 new.
That almost everything will be available at a third or more off somewhere if I wait as little as 2 months.

I have gone for an 'everything in the trunkbag or on the helmet' approach so that when I need to leave the bike I can do so quickly.If I had a budget of £750 for 30 miles a day in the winter I would divide it up roughly like this:

Bike

250 for the right secondhand bike, with as much on it as possible such as mudguards etc. I would go for a hybrid with road gears and space for wide tyres for comfort.
50 to fettle the bike.
50 for toolkit and constant carry spares.
100 for a set of 3 Top Contact winter tyres

Luggage

50 for a trunk rack.
50 for a quick release trunkbag that I can use as my book bag. Perhaps one with expandable side pocket-panniers.
20 for a personal items handlebar bag or frame bag.

Safety / Visibility

100 for two sets of lights, helmet running lights, rechargeable batteries, power pack, and a Hornit.
50 for a decent he!met.
20 for Hi Viz and an rhs arm light to make it look wider.

Comfort

60 for 2 sets of merino long Johns top and bottom
40 Hi Viz waterproof jacket + Waterproof trousers
100 for a set of waterproof cycling boots or cycling shoes plus 2 pairs of waterproof socks. Sunken cleats in either case to avoid sounding like the tap-dancing Gestapo
20 for winter cycling gloves

That ignores small essentials such as an under-helmet cap, and comes to about 950, but I think I could save the difference in discounts.I think you have a helmet camera. As a bonus that is touring kit for up to a week.

What did you do? And how well did it work?

Ferdinand
aspiringcyclist

ferdinand wrote:@aspiringcyclist

I have enjoyed the thread, and I would be very interested in the decisions you made within your £750 budget, and your reflections a couple if months in.

I've had to get everything this year for similar (though not identical ) uses - I'm doing fitness, errands within about 10 miles, and touring/recreational. My surprises have been:

The number of extras that need to be bought for a bike used seriously. I have spent about 150% of the cost of the bike on necessary (mainly) extras.
That almost anything of reasonable quality/function added will cost £30-60 new.
That almost everything will be available at a third or more off somewhere if I wait as little as 2 months.

I have gone for an 'everything in the trunkbag or on the helmet' approach so that when I need to leave the bike I can do so quickly.If I had a budget of £750 for 30 miles a day in the winter I would divide it up roughly like this:

Bike

250 for the right secondhand bike, with as much on it as possible such as mudguards etc. I would go for a hybrid with road gears and space for wide tyres for comfort.
50 to fettle the bike.
50 for toolkit and constant carry spares.
100 for a set of 3 Top Contact winter tyres

Luggage

50 for a trunk rack.
50 for a quick release trunkbag that I can use as my book bag. Perhaps one with expandable side pocket-panniers.
20 for a personal items handlebar bag or frame bag.

Safety / Visibility

100 for two sets of lights, helmet running lights, rechargeable batteries, power pack, and a Hornit.
50 for a decent he!met.
20 for Hi Viz and an rhs arm light to make it look wider.

Comfort

60 for 2 sets of merino long Johns top and bottom
40 Hi Viz waterproof jacket + Waterproof trousers
100 for a set of waterproof cycling boots or cycling shoes plus 2 pairs of waterproof socks. Sunken cleats in either case to avoid sounding like the tap-dancing Gestapo
20 for winter cycling gloves

That ignores small essentials such as an under-helmet cap, and comes to about 950, but I think I could save the difference in discounts.I think you have a helmet camera. As a bonus that is touring kit for up to a week.

What did you do? And how well did it work?

Ferdinand

I don't remember specifying a £750 budget, but if I did, I've gone well over it! The funding for the bicycle and accessories was from the grant that UCL and student finance would provided. Across the year, this amounts to £6000. Now I do find this amount a little ridiculous but you have to remember that most people stay in halls. In my case, instead of paying for rent or train tickets, I can spend it on cycling related things.

In total, I've spend over £1000 pounds.

This includes:

Touring bicycle
Locks
Lights
Camera
Speedometer
Pump and other tools and spares

Cycling shorts, jersey, tights, gloves, overshoes, and wind proof jacket
Cycling shoes and pedals

For carrying things, I just use a back pack. I can leave a pair of 'normal' shoes in the locker along with other university related things and instead just carry food, clothes, etc.

If I lived closer to the university and didn't feel the need to try to cycle fast and thus sweat, I wouldn't bother with the cycling specific clothes.

I personally can't stand water proof clothing as I just get the 'boil in the bag' syndrome. To be honest I prefer just getting wet. The rain usually stops and I have a chance to dry before I get to the university. Though perhaps as it gets colder I'll have a different view!
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

You are right on the budget. Checking back you mentioned that ordinary commuting would be £1000 or so per year.

My £750 was probably the headline price of my bike (which came down to £600 with discounts).

Thanks for the reply - I find that my total expenditure is probably around £2000. Will add it up and blog it one day.

Interestingly I find waterproof socks far more comfortable - wild horses could not take them away.

Ferdinand
aspiringcyclist

ferdinand wrote:You are right on the budget. Checking back you mentioned that ordinary commuting would be £1000 or so per year.

My £750 was probably the headline price of my bike (which came down to £600 with discounts).

Thanks for the reply - I find that my total expenditure is probably around £2000. Will add it up and blog it one day.

Interestingly I find waterproof socks far more comfortable - wild horses could not take them away.

Ferdinand

Waterproof socks do make sense but for me the over shoes do the job quite well. I also carry a spare pair of socks in case anyway...