Ghost bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Ghost bikes

Post by TrevA »

Just over a week ago, a young woman on a bike was killed by a lorry, at a busy junction about 100 yards from my workplace. A terrible tragedy.

Walking in to the office this morning, I noticed a bike spayed white, chained to a lamp post next to the junction, with lots of bunches of flowers ziptied to the lamp post too. Though I've seen pictures, it's the first time i've seen an actual ghost bike.

I understand the need for people to grieve but i'm not sure that these type of rodaside memorials at a busy junction are a good idea. A few work colleagues thought it was something to do with the TDF.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vorpal

Re: Ghost bikes

Post by Vorpal »

TrevA wrote:I understand the need for people to grieve but i'm not sure that these type of rodaside memorials at a busy junction are a good idea. A few work colleagues thought it was something to do with the TDF.

Just tell them that it is set there as reminder of the vulnerability of cyclists. Where else to put such a reminder than at a busy junction where a cyclist tragically died recently?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

A tough call. Some will say yes, some will say no. There are lots of things that can distract a road user, but the intention of the ghost bike is not to distract but to inspire a moment of reflection and thoughfulness. In my opinion they should stay.

My wife has given me permission to reproduce one of her poems, written to commemorate Marie Vesco who tragically lost her life on the A23, not far from where we live, six years ago. A ghost bike was put up in her memory on the first anniversary, although some people objected to it and it was controversially removed a few days later by council workmen.

GHOST BIKE

A white bike rose from grass
to float as a ghost beside the road’s
roaring maelstrom.

A tracery of wire and flowers,
each spoke fired an arrow
from the hearts of mourning parents.

She set out in pursuit of an ideal,
fragile moth drawn to the light,
changing the world for better;

but there was never enough money
or time for signs for idealists.

She died by the road side like a cat,
sacrificed to the unquestioned power
of our motorised age.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I doubt the car/lorry drivers will see the ghost bike so wont be distracted? thats the point? but a reminder to cyclists/pedestrians who pass by. yes
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

There's this great paradox about cycle campaigning isn't there? The desire is to raise awareness of the fact that cycling is a safe and convenient form of transport. Because we all know it could be safer and more convenient there is a need to highlight road casualties and problems encountered on the road which in turn makes it look unsafe and inconvenient.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I find them very poignant - much more so than most of the roadside "shrines" (at least the ones in this country in the main) to other fatalities.

A vote to keep them.