Tesco delivery van driver

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
LollyKat

Tesco delivery van driver

Post by LollyKat »

Coming home from town this afternoon, I needed to change to the right-hand filter lane. I signalled and moved into what I thought was a large enough gap in front of a van. It then switched to the inner lane and pulled up on my left as we both stopped for the traffic lights. The window opened and I braced myself for some abuse even though I reckoned my manoeuvre had been all right. Conversation goes like this:

Him: "Keeping fit, then?"

Me: "Trying to - it's hard work in this wind."

Him: "I know - I like riding my bike but I've got a bad back at the moment and can't go very far."

Me: "Ah, that's bad luck"

Him, as his light changes to green and he drives off: "Have a nice day!"

I thought I'd post as an alternative to the bad experiences. :)
eileithyia

Re: Tesco delivery van driver

Post by eileithyia »

:lol: Not everyone is bad.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Someone has to say it...

Every little helps!
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

One of our local Sainburys delivery drivers is a keen cyclist and we often manage to compare notes when he's dropping off our weekly shop. I wonder which will be the first major supermarket to switch to pedal power for deliveries? :)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Just goes to show: the courtesy I experience from other road users far outweighs the abuse. It seems, and I hope, it's the same for others.

Excuse me, got to pop out and do some shopping....

....at Tesco's :lol: .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Hmmm, my experience of those guys is that they are always on the phone..

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
beardy

Post by beardy »

This is the less obvious half of "safety in numbers", not only that more cyclists, on their bikes, mean that motorists have to act accordingly but also that more motorists, in their motors, know what it is like to be on a bike.
puffin

Post by puffin »

661-Pete wrote:Just goes to show: the courtesy I experience from other road users far outweighs the abuse. It seems, and I hope, it's the same for others.

Excuse me, got to pop out and do some shopping....

....at Tesco's :lol: .

I'm with Pete on this one, I just don't get abuse from drivers. It may happen one day, but it ain't happened yet.

i reckon history will show (in a short time too) that this is a transition period where we become more used to cycles on the road as their number increases. Being less unusual, they will be more accepted. Compare us to Europe, where the higher costs of car insurance suggests the driving is more risky, they are nonetheless accustomed to and accepting of cyclists in a way many of our folk are not. Its very likely that before long we too will be treating cyclists in a much better way as they become more numerous.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

A few weeks ago I was given really good clearance (unexpected) by a CTS Buildbase lorry. And I then needed to order loads of sand, ballast and cement (7 big square bags and a palette of cement) so I used that builders merchant and told them about the good driving their delivery driver had (incl. the vehicle) and hence my selection of supplier. And word got around the company and when delivered the driver knew I had praised his driving (same driver delivered my stuff).

I always try to give both good and bad feedback - as I believe the good feedback can be as effective (or more effective) than complaints.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Psamathe wrote:A few weeks ago I was given really good clearance (unexpected) by a CTS Buildbase lorry. And I then needed to order loads of sand, ballast and cement (7 big square bags and a palette of cement) so I used that builders merchant and told them about the good driving their delivery driver had (incl. the vehicle) and hence my selection of supplier. And word got around the company and when delivered the driver knew I had praised his driving (same driver delivered my stuff).

I always try to give both good and bad feedback - as I believe the good feedback can be as effective (or more effective) than complaints.

Ian

Well said.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

Nice to see a 'good driver' thread – perhaps this can be a regular cheering up feature :) .
There's a long downhill stretch on a busy B road in a 20mph zone which I always dread – I usually get numerous close overtakes as drivers break the speed limit to beat me to each traffic island. Coming home last night, a kind person hung back all the way and refrained from tailgating when I slowed to turn off – thank you :D .
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Great thread. Yup, we should definitely keep this! Had a couple of 'interactions' with local lorries recently. Emailed one firms head office, full of praise, and added 'bet you don't get many of these!' Reply said I was the first, very pleased and would pass on comments to driver. Other one, called into local office, and they were stunned that I had bothered, and called driver in who was chuffed, turned out he cycled to work! Not such a bad world after all!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Great thread. Yup, we should definitely keep this! Had a couple of 'interactions' with local lorries recently. Emailed one firms head office, full of praise, and added 'bet you don't get many of these!' Reply said I was the first, very pleased and would pass on comments to driver. Other one, called into local office, and they were stunned that I had bothered, and called driver in who was chuffed, turned out he cycled to work! Not such a bad world after all!!

I really think this is the way to go to get commercial drivers giving cyclists more space. A compliment gets passed around to the driver (and their colleagues) and people like to get compliments. Whereas a complaint gets the driver in trouble, gets people's backs-up, etc. I think it is a real case of carrot being more effective than stick.

And if more cyclists noted a company whose driver was considerate and e-mailed them, chances are at minimum the e-mail printed out and put on a notice board, better if driver gets a positive comment on their HR records and it will affect more than just the driver. Even not identifying vehicle just a "Like to thank you driver for showing good consideration the other day when passing me on my bike." (maybe add road and time). If a retail operation, maybe add a comment about switching to using them in future (so they see good driving a helping win customers).

It has got to be effective. Maybe somebody should start a campaign to give good feedback to considerate commercial drivers.

Ian
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

It does happen. I had a BMW Coupe driver hesitate at the inevitable left-hook moment this afternoon when he saw myself and young daughter approaching the turning he wanted to turn into. I indicated clearly that we were turning too but he held back and waited for us to complete the turn, turned himself, then overtook us by moving fully into the oncoming lane to give plenty of space.

It does happen :)
puffin

Post by puffin »

20 minutes ago, trying to turn right across a main road in Tring, an oncoming Aviva bus driver slowed up and waved me across so i didn't have to stop in the middle of the road. Cool guy.