Manchester Ship Canal

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
in4time

Manchester Ship Canal

Post by in4time »

Does anyone know of a cycleway that runs alongside the Manchester Ship Canal?
I did a great Wirral loop at the weekend but hit the proverbial brickwall at Ellesmere Port Boat Museum. The route back to Eastham was peppered with the unsuitable and dangerous. From Eastham its not too bad, not ideal but doable. If only there were a path alongside the canal; using existing access roads etc. It would make for a great day ride encompasing Wirral, Chester, parts of the Shropshine Union Canal, Chester Greenway etc.
RickH

Re: Manchester Ship Canal

Post by RickH »

I'm not aware of a path on much of the Ship Canal. As an alternative, from East of Runcorn there is always the Bridgewater Canal heading in much the same direction. I've not been on all of it, but most of the parts I have been on, either cycling or walking, seemed to have a reasonable surface on the towpath.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Its possible to Ride from Wigg Island in Runcorn to Moore Nature Reserve near Warrington on the north side of the ship canal. It is not an official right of way and a bit rough in places but there is a track all the way. It is quite dramatic where it passes along a narrow neck of land between the Mersey and the canal.

The Trans Pennine Trail follows the Ship Canal for a bit through Warrington, but it is narrow, poorly surfaced and has frequent barriers.

You can continue beyond Latchford Lock as far as the Penny Ferry to Thelwall - or cut up north where you could cross the river at a Wier to reach Woolston. But you can't ride beyond the Thelwall Viaduct (where the M6 crosses).
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Pete Owens wrote:… and has frequent barriers.

Thanks for that. I'm starting to plan another tandem tour passing through the area next spring, but I'm still grinding my teeth over our first exposure to those monstrosities last year. :evil:
andy990

Post by andy990 »

Re. The penny ferry at Thelwall, it is possible to get across on your cycle for 11p but note it is only open at certain times of the day. There's more info on it here:

http://allthingswarrington.net/Places/P ... ferry.html
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Boat museum to Eastham is really easy, out of museum by hotel and up to and under motorway and right at small roundabout, straight on at bend to run parallel to M53. At the big M53 roundabout you need care to take 2nd exit into the industrial estate (hop on LH shared use path if you want but no dropped kerbs and you give way to occasionally busy depots). On RH side is signed path back under M53 into 'Vauxhall/Bowaters' turn left and cycle through traffic lights and past VX main gate (shared use on RH side from just beyond) at roundabout at end turn right and cross the railway lines, follow through Eastham refinery and pop out at top of hill at Country Park - turn left for Eastham Village or right down to Eastham Ferry pub and beyond to Port Sunlight etc. This route is always very quiet even mid week unless you hit it at rush hour or around 2pm ish - must be a shift change but even then it's not actually that bad.