Appropriate License Plate

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vantage

Appropriate License Plate

Post by Vantage »

I only looked twice when the same vehicle passed, braked and cut left about 2 feet in front of me, but it suits I think.
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... titled.jpg
Not a direct image as I believe this is very much in the "grey" area of allowed or not on the forum.
What the "D" stands for I'll leave to your imagination :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bicycler

Re: Appropriate License Plate

Post by Bicycler »

Definitely an illegal license plate. Quite why people feel the need to play around with such a mundane item god only knows
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So is this a DVLA report, or a police report?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Both?

Formally report it as offensive and it will soon be sorted.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I believe the DVLA censor certain letter and digit combinations which might be offensive, they simply refuse to issue them. The number on your photo seems to me to fall into that category. The inference is obvious...

Having said that, I recall spotting, on a visit to Germany many years ago, a car with the registration mark , followed by a hyphen, followed by two more letters which I leave to your imagination, followed by a number. How they got away with that one I can't imagine. As I said it was many years ago: in those days fewer Germans were fluent in English than now.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'll leave it to someone else on the roads to report it. I can't be bothered. I thought it was mildly amusing :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Well, there's a reason why fake plates are no laughing matter. Say you wished to report the overtakes or even a collision or hit-and-run. You couldn't give the vehicle's registration no. Only being able to give a fake number would be a serious impediment to the police in actually finding the culprit. You could bet if it did run somebody down the correct plates would be back on by the following morning and nobody would be any the wiser.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vantage wrote:I'll leave it to someone else on the roads to report it. I can't be bothered. I thought it was mildly amusing :)

If you tell me where/when it was spotted then i'll report it. PM is fine (don't need everyone reporting the same image.)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pstallwood

Post by pstallwood »

Having said that, I recall spotting, on a visit to Germany many years ago, a car with the registration mark , followed by a hyphen, followed by two more letters which I leave to your imagination, followed by a number. How they got away with that one I can't imagine. As I said it was many years ago: in those days fewer Germans were fluent in English than now.[/quote]

FU comes from Fuerth in Bavaria which would be the local registration office for where the car owner lives. There are lots of possibilities for rude English words eg beginning in CO or SH for example but thankfully there doesn't appear to be the possibility to make the c word. We go to Germany fairly regularly on holiday and are sometimes very amused by some of the plates. I expect Germans would find some of our combinations equally strange like P11OTE on a Pilote motorcaravan that a German thought was a try on.

Apparently the registration system is gradually changing so that you may not have to change your car registration when moving to another registration district as has been the case.
I
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pstallwood wrote:FU comes from Fuerth in Bavaria which would be the local registration office for where the car owner lives.
Ah yes, we must have been in that area at the time, seeing as I recall that most of the cars around there began with those letters (I was only a child then, but old enough to have learnt all the 'best' words in the playground in case anyone's wondering :shock: ).

As many people will know, the French changed their system several years ago, replacing the old "nnnn AA nn" or "nnn AAA nn" patterns with the new "AA-nnn-AA" format. The new style seems to offer more possibilities for 'personalised' plates, but French drivers don't appear to go in for those. I've often wondered whether someone will snap up a plate like "PU-741-NS" (work it out!) but honestly, French drivers don't need to label their cars with insults: they drive arrogantly enough as it is! Or maybe les Flics are more diligent in hunting down illegal plates, than their British counterparts...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Vantage wrote:I'll leave it to someone else on the roads to report it. I can't be bothered. I thought it was mildly amusing :)

If you tell me where/when it was spotted then i'll report it. PM is fine (don't need everyone reporting the same image.)

Pm sent Bob.
I've googled this reporting business and couldn't find any info whatsoever.
I do have to wonder, if the plate is in fact modified illegally, how would the relevant authority dig up the owners address from a plate that doesn't actually exist on record?
Bill

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

D 81 TCH Landrover is insured.

askmid.com
Mick F. Cornwall
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

661-Pete wrote:I believe the DVLA censor certain letter and digit combinations which might be offensive, they simply refuse to issue them.

But they do make oversights. They don't have a lot of imagination, thus the imaginative can get some rather, er, different ones past them.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Mick F wrote:D 81 TCH Landrover is insured.

askmid.com

Ah, that's how :lol:
Thanks Mick :)
Bill

[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vantage wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Pm sent Bob.
I've googled this reporting business and couldn't find any info whatsoever.
I do have to wonder, if the plate is in fact modified illegally, how would the relevant authority dig up the owners address from a plate that doesn't actually exist on record?

It's illegally modified, but the actual character sequence just takes a little parsing, then it will go into the normal dB for looking up people who haven't paid their TV license ;)