Appropriate License Plate

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BlueMeldon

Re: Appropriate License Plate

Post by BlueMeldon »

Misrepresentation used to be a hefty fine, but the 'agency' responsible for registrations has it's finger in the <make-a-quick-profit> pie, so where does the line get drawn and who's left to enforce it ?

Perhaps the offence should carry a different penalty, such as loss of the plate and issue of a new one registered as "SAD1", "SAD2" etc.......obviuously "OV3RC0MPENS4T1NG" won't fit on standard plate !

:P
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

BlueMeldon wrote:Misrepresentation used to be a hefty fine, but the 'agency' responsible for registrations has it's finger in the <make-a-quick-profit> pie, so where does the line get drawn and who's left to enforce it ?

Perhaps the offence should carry a different penalty, such as loss of the plate and issue of a new one registered as "SAD1", "SAD2" etc.......obviuously "OV3RC0MPENS4T1NG" won't fit on standard plate !

:P

Indigo Delta One Zero Tango?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jamesoneil

Post by jamesoneil »

The DVLA webiste has a much better search engine, https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

But there isn't really a method to report plates that I could see, maybe calling 101 to report an illegible license plate.
Fezes are cool.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I think it's a matter for the police rather than the dvla if the vehicle is failing to display the correct licence plate or tax disc.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

VOSA wrote:You should report these to the police, as DVSA are responsible for ensuring
that MOT garages carry out the inspection correctly, and cannot guarantee
that the registration plate displayed on the vehicle is the same as at the
test.

No response on the "offensive" part of my query
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I was passed this car a short while ago, you remember numberplates like that (or one verysimilar) , it was in Norfolk last weekend
NUKe

Post by cjchambers »

It says a lot about a individual's personality and world view if they want to essentially label themselves with an offensive derogatory term :?
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

Vantage wrote:What the "D" stands for I'll leave to your imagination :D

I thought, and maybe i'm wrong on this, that "D" plates were for Diplomatic plates.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The 'D' in diplomatic plates goes in the middle. For example '104D115'. I don't know if that's a real registration, but I think it would be an Australian diplomatic car.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

D 81 TCH
A normal Registration plate, but with the letter / number spacing altered

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Range Rover...Check
Private Plates...Check
Aggressive Driving...Check.

No surprises there.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I got overtaken - fairly aggressively though not exactly dangerous - by THR 1L this morning. Didn't note the make of car, but it had a big spoiler on the boot - possibly a Subaru or similar. Ah well - if these kids and boy-racers want the whole world to know that they're just kids....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

THR 1L
Attachments
Screen shot 2014-07-10 at 15.19.29.png
Mick F. Cornwall
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

iviehoff wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I believe the DVLA censor certain letter and digit combinations which might be offensive, they simply refuse to issue them.

But they do make oversights. They don't have a lot of imagination, thus the imaginative can get some rather, er, different ones past them.

I recall an exhibition at the Science Museum in the early days of computing where they created a list of banned words that would not be displayed or printed if you typed them on the terminal. Of course within a very short time one bright youngster had accessed the file and caused it to be displayed on the screen and printer.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:THR 1L

(*googles*)
Yep, I reckon that's what it was. At least it's a genuine plate, then...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).