Cycling on single-track roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bicycler

Re: Cycling on single-track roads

Post by Bicycler »

Psamathe wrote:Maybe in my part of the world as these lanes are pretty common drivers "lower their standards"

There's certainly the common complaint of locals about those not from the area who drive too slowly cautiously. At least half the time I think it's more a case of those familiar with the roads getting too complacent and travelling too fast.

The need to reverse will be dependent on the frequency of passing places and how far ahead can be seen. These factors vary from road to road and (particularly) from area to area
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I had a "single track" moment today.

Cycling back to the kids school from the shops and am on the same road as the school, which has parked cars all down the side opposite the school (left for me), leaving a single lane for traffic (the road is two way).

I'm pedalling gently, no real rush to get to the school and staying outside the door zone - and a taxi starts coming towards me from the far end of the parked cars (pas the school gates in the other direction).
I'm thinking that as we approach I could slide to the right and simply step off the bike onto the pavement and walk the remaining 15-20 yards. No big deal.

Then the taxi driver accelerates at me, past the one available passing point (i.e. a couple of car gap in the parked car line) and starts shouting about how I shouldn't be on the right. There is no significant left and right on a single lane road - there isn't enough room to pass.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.63102 ... !2e0?hl=en

A favourite of mine near Chorley. Blue sign on the left states "Unsuitable for motor vehicles". I'd have been squished by white van man doing about 40mph if I hadn't ridden into the hedge side to avoid him. Another time I saw some lazy whatsizname walking his dog while sat driving behind the dog holding the lead in a big Mitsubishi Shogun thing. :shock: No passing places whatsoever on this road that I remember. Unless you count the entrances to some farm fields...
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

A lot of Audaxes use single track lanes.

Most motorcars in this country are right hand drive. Draw a mental line-of-sight between the driver of an oncoming car and the road in front of you. Ride where the driver can see you earliest. i.e. the longest line-of-sight. Its usually on the OUTSIDE edge of the curve.

If you’re on the outside line of a left hand bend and a vehicle appears, DON’T dart across to the left hand side. The driver might lose sight of you. Stop on the right hand verge and it will pass to your left.
You may need to wave them through, which totally confuses them to a walking pace.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Almost all the lanes around here in Somerset are single track. It's what I cycle most often. One thing that took a little getting used to here and down in Devon is the hight of the bank and hedge that can fully enclose a lane. It massively restricts visibility and removes all verge for passing, meaning passing has to be done in a farm gate or something.

Personally I deal with vehicles coming up behind me by signaling where I am going to be pulling in (by pointing at me, then the location). Pretty much everyone seems happy and understands this, even when I skip a possible passing place for a safer one further up.

My main problem is oncoming traffic not stopping in decent passing places when I'm in the narrow section. Its really annoying when they keep on coming forward even when we have to both pretty much stop to squeeze past.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

honesty wrote:Personally I deal with vehicles coming up behind me by signaling where I am going to be pulling in (by pointing at me, then the location). Pretty much everyone seems happy and understands this, even when I skip a possible passing place for a safer one further up.

My main problem is oncoming traffic not stopping in decent passing places when I'm in the narrow section. Its really annoying when they keep on coming forward even when we have to both pretty much stop to squeeze past.

I've tried but the drivers don't seem to get it. I've pointed over to a passing place about 100 metres away, and they squeeze past with their wheels on the verge.
Quite common that even though I'm in the middle of the road only 100 metres away, they drive straight past a passing place where they could have easily stopped, which forces both of us onto the verge.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

On Forge Road, Eridge, (East Sussex) which is part of route 21, and connecting roads, I have found that the majority of ?local? motorists are exceptionally courteous. On this hill for example http://goo.gl/maps/UvAEU I've had Range Rovers, utility vans and cars pull right up on the bank and wait for me to climb (slowly) uphill past them. Of course if I'm at the top about to go down and a motor vehicle is coming up the hill I wait. Similarly on the flatter part of the road, there seems to be a mutual respect between me as a cyclist and many vehicle drivers as regards passing and overtaking places with acknowledgements by both parties. I don't know if the route 21 repeater signs have any effect that motorists should expect cyclists to be on this route.

Anyone else use this route with similar experience?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, not read all through this thread. :oops:

Single track roads?
Good grief, Devon and Cornwall are littered with them, in fact we live on one.

Life is like that round here. Give and take with cars lorries busses and cyclists, let alone pedestrians.

Just two segments of the area.
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gunnis ... 1,,0,-5.71

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=gunnis ... 2,,0,20.16
Mick F. Cornwall
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Are the single track roads in Cornwall just lanes or are they A roads?
Where I live most A roads are single track and sometimes carry a fair volume of traffic in summer. One ferry load can be at least 80 cars in one lump. In summer many of them are totally terrified and have no idea which planet they are on far less pay attention to cyclists.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Many narrow streets in my city area are effectively single track roads because of the cars parked on both sides of the road.

I find many motorists assume that a mere cyclist must wait for them to pass or get out of the way, whereas I take the view that cyclists should have priority because even on a road narrowed by parked cars a cyclist can keep to the left of the centreline, whereas a motorist needs to use both sides of the road and should wait to do so until approaching traffic on the other side of the road has passed.

As for genuine single track roads I go to Skye and the far north of Scotland a fair bit and the single track roads there are still quiet, often wide enough for a bike and a car to pass and motorists are usually very considerate.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Most of devon and cornwall roads are single track, to get out of my village by any route is single track, its normal here.
The other day a white van man pickup waited for me :) And two cars went past me in oposite direction on an evil hill single track, they moved over and drove into the verge leaving me a good gap, both were 4 x 4's and could easily do this manouver and seem well practiced too :)
A gravel truck was blocking the whole lane I sped up on quickly and I stopped and pulled bike into the hedge and made myself thin , the truck past with a foot to spare and alls well.
If worse I do a "U" turn and find a gate.
Makes a change, if I dont get space then I cycle in middle and we both stop.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
james01

Post by james01 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-28328073

Similar issues - how long a queue do you allow before you stop and let them pass? Years ago I had a holiday tractor job on a farm, the conundrum was that some country lanes were so busy that if you pulled over to let cars pass you could remain pinned in the pull-in for ages waiting for a gap - and you end up creating more of an obstruction by occupying a pull-in that was needed for oncoming traffic to pass. Result: gridlock! You need a very quiet room and to speak very slowly to explain this concept to a typical traffic cop or irate motorist.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

That's a stupid idea. While I get as frustrated as the next person being stuck behind a tractor, mandating them to move over otherwise face fines is not on, they have as much right to use the road as anyone - more in fact considering they are engaging in business use, not going for a jolly in the countryside.

Certainly when I'm out cycling on single track roads and I encounter a tractor I'll usually get off and pull my bike to side of the road until they pass, first because they are much bigger than me and second because it's their area and they deserve to be able to go about their business without tourists like me getting in the way.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

When safe....

I occasionally go from work to the next town up a busy A road. Single lane in each direction, but sufficiently busy that it's not easy to overtake due to oncoming traffic.

The first main place I can do anything is the roundabout - which I tend to loop all the way around - this allows a reasonable amount of traffic through, whilst allowing me to rejoin with priority.

The other places I use are two truck stop laybys. They are both on uphill segments, so they make excellent little detaours for me, allowing a significant amount of traffic to pass. Of course they have the disadvantage that I then need to stop for a while if the road is slightly busier than normal - but I generally get a thank you from the following HGV (and it's always an HGV).

Just for information I averaged over 18mph each way on the journey on Friday - and there is a large stretch which is horribly surface undressed.
So not exactly hanging around - but not motorised either.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ambodach wrote:Are the single track roads in Cornwall just lanes or are they A roads?
No, not like in N Scotland, but there are many B roads with single track segments over distances.

There are some A roads - trunk roads too - that have single track pinch points over bridges or through narrow banks.
Mick F. Cornwall