Cycling on single-track roads

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon Lucas

Cycling on single-track roads

Post by Jon Lucas »

The nightmare drive thread includes a lot of comments about cycling on single-track roads, so I thought it deserved its own thread.

When I cycled in the Scottish highlands 20 or 30 years ago, it was a sheer joy, cycling along main roads that were no more than small lanes threading across an empty landscape with very few cars passing by. When a car did come along, it was a simple matter to slow down and let them pass by.

However, the last few times I've cycled in the area, in the last 15 years or so, I've found the sheer joy of the single-track roads has become really annoying. The reason is that the volume of traffic has increased hugely, so that on many roads I found I had to pull in and stop at every single passing place, often every one hundred yards, to allow cars behind me to overtake, which made it impossible to get any rhythm into the ride. Added to this, many of the motorists, no doubt especially those who have driven long distances as tourists, now expected to be able to drive past at high speeds, and made it clear if you didn't allow them to do so.

Have other members found the same in Scotland or elsewhere where single-track roads still predominate?
Mark1978

Re: Cycling on single-track roads

Post by Mark1978 »

There's a tenancy to think of single track roads as being a Scottish thing, when of course that's a very long way from being the case.

Here's a road I often include on a 1 hour loop in the morning http://goo.gl/maps/yfC39 and I live near Newcastle, not quite at Scotland yet.

It's more than they are unusual in still using single track roads for classified routes and often the only route between places, at least even the narrowest are often not too bad to drive, this was one of my favourite drives http://goo.gl/maps/fDXHK as long as you keep your wits about you it's fine because there are regular passing places. Whereas the situation elsewhere is often quite different to the Scottish classified roads in that there often aren't any passing places! You have to hope to find a farm entrance etc, otherwise you're knackered.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mark1978 wrote: Whereas the situation elsewhere is often quite different to the Scottish classified roads in that there often aren't any passing places! You have to hope to find a farm entrance etc, otherwise you're knackered.

Seconded - plenty of single lane roads with no passing places in North Yorkshire. I don't know why people only think of Scotland in this context. Though maybe it's something to do with the fact that every broadsheet newspaper that runs an article about Scottish independence illustrates it with a fetching photo of Hadrian's Wall.....

(Please no off topic comments about Scottish independence!)
james01

Post by james01 »

I use local single track lanes regularly, they can be busy and have limited forward vision because of bends and high hedges. There doesn't seem to be a solution which keeps everyone happy. As I said on the other thread, I often pull over to let a tailgater past only to be baulked soon afterwards by the same vehicle reversing back towards me because there's an oncoming car. On a bike I can usually squeeze into the hedge to let oncoming cars through, so I'm usually faster than cars which have to keep reversing when meeting another. This is a difficult concept to explain to an irate driver who yells at me to pull over :(
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

There are plenty of extremely narrow lanes in Sussex: here's an example, a favourite cycling route for us (grass growing in the middle is a good sign), but as you can see, no room for two cars to pass. No marked passing places, cars may have to reverse as far as the nearest farm entrance or whatever. Luckily the road is very quiet and not a rat-run (it would be lunatic to drive at speed). I don't think we've ever had a car overtake us on that lane.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Yes, there are notable differences between the single-track roads in the Highlands and those in most other parts of the UK. Principal among these are that in the Highlands the passing places are constructed and surfaced to the same standard as the rest of the road; are regularly spaced and are clearly signed; and that the single-track sections are of a uniform width and rarely have sudden sharp bends. (Exceptions to all of these, of course, but they hold good as a broad generalisation.) The main consequence of this predictability is that it's possible for each road user to adopt a consistent method for travelling on them. (I won't now go into what that method is or ought to be - the point is that once you've found a method that works, it's applicable, or ought to be applicable, more or less throughout the Highlands).

By contrast, there is no such consistency or predictability about single track roads elsewhere, such as those, for instance in my own patch, mid-Devon. Here, everything is random. The width of the carriageway constantly and unpredictably varies. Passing places are missing for long stretches, and when present are neither constructed, surfaced nor signed, but have evolved through the use of field entrances or simply though stretches of hedgebank having been gradually broken down by close contact with many vehicles. Sharp blind bends are frequent. Here, constant improvisation is necessary, any attempt to impose a systematic formula or rules on how one travels is doomed to failure, and the only way road users can successfully and safely interact is through a process of cooperative negotiation.

I've just returned here from a tour of the Outer Hebrides, so the contrast with Devon is stark and fresh. Even given recent increases in traffic density and changing driving habits, those Highland roads were a relaxing doddle compared with what I have to face in my own neighbourhood.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Not all single track roads are created equal. There is the type which pete mentions which are as wide as a 4x4, at the other extreme there are roads where two medium sized cars can pass with care leaving passing places only for bigger vehicles or car drivers who are under the illusion they are driving bigger vehicles.

As a cyclist I quite like true single track roads, especially in open country where traffic can be seen approaching. More than perhaps any other roads in the kingdom, these create an environment where the cyclist is obviously the equal of another vehicle and needs to be treated as such. The intimacy of what ChrisButch labelled "cooperate negotiation" is one of the few occasions where different road users get to treat each other as human beings. We get to interact recognising each other as fellow human beings rather than as a moving obstacle or homicidal tin box as is the tendency elsewhere on the road network.

On the other hand, the type of road which is just wide enough for cars to contemplate an unsafe overtake is a potentially uncomfortable environment for the cyclist.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

james01 wrote:I use local single track lanes regularly, they can be busy and have limited forward vision because of bends and high hedges. There doesn't seem to be a solution which keeps everyone happy. As I said on the other thread, I often pull over to let a tailgater past only to be baulked soon afterwards by the same vehicle reversing back towards me because there's an oncoming car. On a bike I can usually squeeze into the hedge to let oncoming cars through, so I'm usually faster than cars which have to keep reversing when meeting another. This is a difficult concept to explain to an irate driver who yells at me to pull over :(

That can also be a problem when you're cycling towards a car, you often get drivers who of course assume bicycles occupy no road space so will expect to be able to drive straight at you and somehow you'll disappear. I've even had cars overtake me while I've been cycling in the centre of the road!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

We have a couple of single track lanes near here, one I use regularly sadly when there were some road works on a nearby main road, the numpties with satnavs found it.... now it is a pain in the **** rat tun.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

eileithyia wrote:We have a couple of single track lanes near here, one I use regularly sadly when there were some road works on a nearby main road, the numpties with satnavs found it.... now it is a pain in the **** rat tun.....

A big problem in some areas. Where there alternative routes available (ie. generally not in the Highlands) I'd like to see these made access only for motors. Or a gate would do the trick. There's still a few gated roads about and they seem quite an effective deterrent to rat runners
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Bicycler wrote:A big problem in some areas. Where there alternative routes available (ie. generally not in the Highlands) I'd like to see these made access only for motors.

That's certainly been done in some cases around here, such as this road (many cyclists will recognise the spot: if you pan to the right you'll see we're at the foot of the celebrated Ditchling Beacon). Another favourite route of ours, we often cycle along this lane (we haven't got the stamina any more to tackle the Beacon :roll: ). But despite the signs, many cars do pass us on this road. It's hard to tell whether they are residents or legitimate visitors, or simply defying the signs. Short of posting sentinels at each end of the road, and 'clocking' cars in and out of the road, how can one police it?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

A signed restriction will deter some but not all. That's why I favour the gate solution. It's no great hassle to open them but it is enough to remove the incentive to rat run along unsuitable roads because they are a bit quicker.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(I may have made similar comments in the other thread - so if I did, sorry)

Virtually all of my cycling is done on single track roads (with grass growing down the middle and passing places and hardly room for a bike and a car to pass using the road). Around my area the place is a complete maze of such roads and after 2600 miles local cycling I'm still regularly discovering more.

Tailgaters are usually polite and will wait for me to pull-in; exceptions normally being Land Rovers and Range Rovers (and similar).

Oncoming vehicles invariably wont stop at a passing place and end-up trying to squeeze past.

Little reversing to a passing place happens round here (even when driving) as people stop at their nearest when they see an oncoming vehicle - which usually means no reversing. Main "reversers" are youngsters who drive round the lanes far too fast for the visibility ahead.

But not enough traffic to cause delays. Worst drivers are by far the "road owners" i.e. the Range Rovers and similar. The flatbed cab thingys (Destructor, Obliterator, Devastator, etc. most manufacturers have something along those lines) are pretty bad when it comes to giving bikes room - maybe they don't appreciate their own size.

My main gripe is the squeezing past (sometimes with the powered vehicle going moderately fast) where you have to squeeze into the very edge of the road. And with the state of the roads it is quite probable you will be caught by a pothole there and worst case this could plonk you onto the road right in front on the oncoming vehicle. Drivers don't seem to appreciate the risks.

Ian
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

This[url]
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.31907 ... -C---w!2e0[/url]
is one lane of a dual carriageway! The other lane is equally narrow.

Interestingly if this was the view of a 2 way lane there would be enough space to pass the oncoming cars but when riding it most cars are unwilling to even try to pass cyclists. Fortunately it's only about half a mile stretch.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Grandad wrote:This[url]
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.31907 ... -C---w!2e0[/url]
is one lane of a dual carriageway! The other lane is equally narrow.

Interestingly if this was the view of a 2 way lane there would be enough space to pass the oncoming cars but when riding it most cars are unwilling to even try to pass cyclists. Fortunately it's only about half a mile stretch.

Amazed. That is wide.

Today I had an oncoming vehicle expect to pass on this road:
example.jpg

On the same road (but not today I've had a Police car tailgating and then squeeze past.

Maybe in my part of the world as these lanes are pretty common drivers "lower their standards"

Ian