collecting my new bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jimblob

collecting my new bike

Post by Jimblob »

Hi, new to the forum and to road bikes.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I couldn't find a newbie section with Tapatalk.

We've got a cycle to work scheme going on at work so I signed up and went to Halfords on Friday to pick my stuff.

I opted for a Boardman Road Sport Limited Edition and got a load of accessories.

I've never ridden (is that even a word) a road bike before and the Halfords I am getting mine from is right on a dual carriageway exit. I either have the option of riding it home on a 70mph dual carriageway or going via a housing estate which includes some pretty steep hills.

Pretty concerned about that. That and Halfords kept all my accessories as we need to sign off on everything together so I have luggage to carry back as well, lol.

Well I guess if I don't get killed at around 1210hrs on Tuesday, ten minutes after pickup, I'll be around here for lots of advice :P

Cheers
Jim
maff1977

Re: collecting my new bike

Post by maff1977 »

Go through the housing estate - the hills will increase your fitness and seem less hard work the more your ride them.(who knows, you might even start to like riding up hills :D )

Dual carriage way will be hideous. A roads are bad enough IMO
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Riding in the position required by a road bike can take some getting used to. In particular the steering is a generally a lot more sensitive. Even the brakes and shifters will take some getting used to. I would always advise getting used to riding a new bike before mixing it with heavy traffic so the housing estate would be preferable. It may be worth checking if there is a cycle path running alongside the dual carriageway. Quite a few dual carriageways do have adjacent paths and it's not the kind of thing you always notice from a car. If there is a path which you can use it should have a blue cycle or cycle/pedestrian sign where you join it.

Oh, and carrying luggage is much easier if it is attached to the bike than in a rucksack, particularly for going any distance on a drop barred bike.. A saddlebag/seatpack is a worthwhile accessory.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

why are Halfords not fitting the accessories for you? I thought this was a service they normally included when buying a new bike.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Get someone to pick you up
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jimblob

Post by Jimblob »

Elizabethsdad wrote:why are Halfords not fitting the accessories for you? I thought this was a service they normally included when buying a new bike.

To be honest, they never even mentioned what they are going to do, other than I have to pick everything up together. I don't have anything to wear either as they kept the clothes I got too, so it looks like I am picking it up in Jeans. Not really a shorts guy usually.

It was a young kid that helped me out. He was nice and helpful but they obviously pay no attention to how you are going to get everything home. It would make more sense to take all the extra stuff home that isn't going on the bike then at least you can be prepared.

I am only concerned about the first ride home from the store since I have never used this kind of bike before and either way, it's heavy traffic.

Sure I'll be fine though, hopefully, lol :P

Jim
Jimblob

Post by Jimblob »

eileithyia wrote:Get someone to pick you up

Yeah that would be more sensible, I don't fancy taking the wheels off though after the build and we don't own hatchbacks.

Sure it will all work out though.

Cheers
Jim
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Taking the wheels off should be trivial - you'll want to be able to do it in the dark and rain. Doing it in the shop is a pretty good place to do a trial.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

You don't want to take the wheels off!!! :shock: How are you going to cope with punctures???????
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

eileithyia wrote:You don't want to take the wheels off!!! :shock: How are you going to cope with punctures???????

To be fair, the OP might just want to get the bike home exactly as it has been set up and take a look at it before dismantling even that far.

I don't understand why everything has to be picked up at one go. Surely you could collect/pay/sign for the accessories in advance?

If you're having shoes with clips and haven't used them before, before you leave, get them to put the bike on a fan trainer so you can practice getting the clips in, and, more importantly, out until you can do it easily, otherwise you'll be very likely to have an accident on the way home.
And I'd definitely avoid a fast dual carriageway on a type of bike I wasn't used to. A fast road-type bike can be very touchy on the steering even on a smooth road, let alone the potholes stung together that pass for roads these days, and takes a bit of getting used to even after a tourer. If you're used to a MTB it could be quite a learning curve, and you definitely don't want to be learning in fast traffic.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Jimblob wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Get someone to pick you up

Yeah that would be more sensible, I don't fancy taking the wheels off though after the build and we don't own hatchbacks.

If you are not sure how to carry all the extra gear maybe get someone to give you a lift there and take all the extra stuff back home whilst you just concentrate on getting used to (dare I say enjoying) your new bike.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Flinders wrote:

I don't understand why everything has to be picked up at one go. Surely you could collect/pay/sign for the accessories in advance?

It is a requirement on Cycle Schemes that everything be processed together - we do hundreds of them! However there is no requirement for you to take everything from the store in one go, we often get customers taking the bits first then returning suitably clad to ride the bike home.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Depending on how far away you live from the store, is calling a taxi firm and asking for a minibus an option? Those guys will carry almost anything although they might very well charge extra for asking for a minibus specifically.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

If you don't even know how to take a wheel off then I don't think you should be riding home!
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

easyroller wrote:If you don't even know how to take a wheel off then I don't think you should be riding home!

I assume you're joking?
I've been cycling for over 30 years, commuted every day in Central London for 6 of them, and I've never once had to take wheel off when out. Not once.
Twice I have had to push the bike home- one was an unmendable puncture that wrote of the tyre as well, and the other was a catastrophic derailleur failure that bent the back forks and wrecked the back wheel.