Oh lordy, what have I let myself in for?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GrumpyGit

Oh lordy, what have I let myself in for?

Post by GrumpyGit »

I've just let myself be talked into doing next years BHF London to Brighton ride.

Most of my cycling is of the "utility" variety. Local transport, light shopping etc. on my hybrid with a bit of mountain bike use when visiting the countryside.

I'm in my late 50's, overweight (but trying to loose some of it) and have recently had an arthroscopy (keyhole surgery) on my left knee.

Any hints, tips and constructive suggestions on how to prepare for the event will be gratefully received :)
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Furkuk

Re: Oh lordy, what have I let myself in for?

Post by Furkuk »

Just ride. The more you ride the easier it will become
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Build up miles gradually. If you do utility cycling, you've got a head start. Maybe the simplest thing to do is to incrementally add a few miles to utility trips once or twice per week.

Otherwise, you can take planned leisure rides with specific goals, find some friends to ride with, and/or join a local cycling club or CTC rides.

A ride like London to Brighton is fesible for most people without any training at all. Preparation will make it easy, comfortable, and hopefully fun.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

One thing you need to plan is the logistics of getting to start and back from finish. In wonderfully public spirited fashion, bicycles are banned from trains in the region that day.

It's about 55 miles and a bit hilly in places. I would say work up fairly quickly to 30 miles, then do some more approx. 30 miles until it is comfortable. Once you can do 30 miles fairly comfortably, extending that to 50 miles on a one-off is not actually such a big deal.
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

All helpful suggestions, thanks!

I think I'll draw a 15 mile circle on a map and pick some destinations for training runs :D
Si

Post by Si »

Start playing rugby now - experience in the scrum or in rucks will help immensely on the hill climbs. :twisted:

Seriously though, as others have said just increase your mileage gently and have fun riding your bike. Don't worry about how fast you are going, it's not a race. Make sure that you have food and drink while training, and take a waterproof. Also, if you don't already know, find a maintenance book or article on the web that tells you how to fix simple mechanical issues such as p*nct*res. And most importantly - if a hill gets too hard, just get off and walk for a bit....you are meant to be enjoying it not torturing yourself.

Going back to my original comment...there is a little seriousness to it. If you can get a little experience of group riding that will help a bit, but it's not entirely crucial...just assume that everyone around you has no idea how to control their bikes.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

To reassure you further, last year a friend of mine in her fifties did London to Cambridge with me (approx 63 miles I think) with no problems at all - up till then her longest leisure ride had been 40 miles. She was worried initially but by the end of the day was pleased as punch. We chose the earliest start time, took our own food to avoid queuing at the break stops and planned a 15min break every 20 miles. This helped to split the distance into manageable chunks. At the start, we let all the racers rush ahead while we conserved our energy :lol: . I can recommend this as a good strategy for a charity ride.

GrumpyGit wrote:
I think I'll draw a 15 mile circle on a map and pick some destinations for training runs :D

I haven't done London to Brighton but I know of the long climb uphill towards the end. North London has some good hills to train on – you could route a few of your utility rides around them. Lugging two full panniers around Highgate does wonders! The cycle path across Hampstead Heath is another good bet if you want a break from motor traffic (people traffic being unavoidable). If you want to increase your mileage but prefer riding on your ownsome, there are some lovely routes into Hertfordshire via Barnet. I use the TFL maps combined with OS Landranger 166. Good luck!

Si wrote: If you can get a little experience of group riding that will help a bit, but it's not entirely crucial...just assume that everyone around you has no idea how to control their bikes.

+1 - large packs of hill wobblers are a hazard. Although I'm sure the OP is used a few two-wheeled numpties around London, present company excepted of course :mrgreen:
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Thanks Si, I think one of my biggest challenges is going to be planning some good training routes as I live in north central London. Think I may be taking the train out of town then riding home.

Si wrote:Start playing rugby now - experience in the scrum or in rucks will help immensely on the hill climbs. :twisted:

That's how my knee got messed up in the first place! Inter Regiment grudge match!

Si wrote: Seriously though, as others have said just increase your mileage gently and have fun riding your bike. Don't worry about how fast you are going, it's not a race. Make sure that you have food and drink while training, and take a waterproof. Also, if you don't already know, find a maintenance book or article on the web that tells you how to fix simple mechanical issues such as p*nct*res. And most importantly - if a hill gets too hard, just get off and walk for a bit....you are meant to be enjoying it not torturing yourself.

Going back to my original comment...there is a little seriousness to it. If you can get a little experience of group riding that will help a bit, but it's not entirely crucial...just assume that everyone around you has no idea how to control their bikes.

I've just fitted some Schwalbe Marathons so the P word things shouldn't be too much of a problem. I always carry a tool kit too!
garybaldy

Post by garybaldy »

Just practice your walking cos you'll be doing plenty of it. There are just too many cyclists. One big jam, unless you can get away early. I only did it once, once was enough, never again!

On that encouraging note I wish you well.
P.S. A tip. Do it the week after. You'll have no probs!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Don't try to ride up Ditchling Beacon! I've done BHF London to Brighton twice, and both times, there were too many people walking, wobbling, and generally doing silly things up the hill to make riding up feasible.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

From what I can make out .......... please correct me if I'm wrong ........... Ditchling Beacon rises from 200ft to 750ft in about 2miles.

Seems a nice hill.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It might be a nice hill if all you have is an empty road to deal with. But the road is narrow, and with hundreds of inexperienced cyclists trying (and some failing) to pedal up it, it is difficult at best for anyone to pedal up it. Both times that I've done London - Brighton, I walked up Ditchling Beacon, not because I couldn't get up it, but because the road was congested with other cyclists who couldn't get up it.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

I've always been tempted to try out this London to Brighton run sometime - less crowded 8)

http://fnrttc.blogspot.co.uk/
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

OK, the preparations have begun!

On Sunday I did a 12 mile round trip. This is a route I did regularly before my knee packed up so I was quite pleased to see I was only about 5 minutes off my old time.

Having taken advice, the foam and PVC saddle is going and I shall be fitting the Brooks Flyer (a B17 with added springs) which I bought on the way home from work today.

Now all I need is a mentor to ride with!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I've never been on the BHF - I did a couple of fnrttc's in the year when it first started up (around 2006) and was then quite a small enterprise with about 25 riders. Now it has swelled into a big ride of over 100 participants - small beer compared with the BHF but still quite a crowd! At least with that one you'll be able to ride up Ditchling Beacon - and at a time when there's not much traffic too. I believe the rides still start from London about midnight and reach Brighton in time for breakfast. Reaching the top of the Beacon just as the sun rises, if they time it right, is a great experience!

In fact you can ride up DB on the BHF - if you manage to sign up for the 'early bird' group starting around 6am, and don't hang about! But you'll miss the sunrise. I've watched them going up at around 9am when it's still not too crowded. Later on in the day, with the main crowd - forget it!

Remember also that DB isn't the only hill. Through Turners Hill village there is quite a decent climb too. Same conditions apply.

Now - a confession. I live quite near the foot of Ditchling Beacon, and I have been credited with boasting that I used to commute up the Beacon. Only partly true, I'm afraid. Living in Burgess Hill, and working in Brighton, I usually drove :oops: ... on fair-weather days when I cycled, it was generally down the A273/A23. But sometimes (perhaps one in five times) I would go up the Beacon. It was quite a satisfying thing to do on one's commute! The return route (up Carden Avenue) was also pretty steep! Alas those days are long past, for me!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).