How much rubbish is too much

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
sirmy

How much rubbish is too much

Post by sirmy »

If you're a farmer on the route of the Virgin Money Cyclone, not very much (judging by the pictures)

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/north-east-news/virgin-money-cyclone-weekend-leaves-7324564
gaz

Re: How much rubbish is too much

Post by gaz »

One piece of rubbish littering the countryside is one piece too much.

That said I don't feel the article was newsworthy, just another piece of rubbish :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It may not be newsworthy, but they have fair point. They shouldn't have to deal with a bunch of rubbish from the race. And it's a bit of a cop out on the part of organisers to say that they told them not to.

Race organisers are responsible to see that their rules are followed, and to clean up after the race, if necessary. I've done it. The clubs I've belonged to have done it. Cyclists should not get a bad name over things that are easy to deal with.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe label things at registration (or just count in and out the wrappers, if you start with 5 full things, show them 5 empty wrappers at the end)? Or just get local authorities to fine the organisers. Any litter anywhere is too much, just so needless. They've carried it there full, they may as well carry it home empty.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

If it was half a mile stretch where was the rest of the rubbish? He had a few items in the bag..hardly what I'd consider to be more than the usual rubbish discarded from cars etc
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

While I do not like to see evidence of possible cycle related rubbish on the roadside, I would agree that it did not seem excessive compared to what I see daily along the roadside, even one McD's takeaway takes up more space in a rubbish bag......
Yes we should be bigger and better than the motoring community and take a rubbish home, I know it is difficult with gel packets cos there is always some left in the tube which will ooze out over your kit when you put it in your pocket... for me the solution is to take a small sandwich bag and put the gels back in that after use.
Lets be honest, not sure if this was a race or not, but if it was a sportive, they do not need to eat the items on the move and can stop and deal with the leftovers IMHO. Most professional race events have specific areas for rubbish to be jettisoned and fine riders who do not use these areas, plus they have a clean up wagon behind the event
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

eileithyia wrote:not sure if this was a race or not, but if it was a sportive, they do not need to eat the items on the move and can stop and deal with the leftovers IMHO.
It was a sportive https://virginmoneycyclone.co.uk/Cyclon ... owPage=549 Calling it a race is just sloppy, mind you I've seen charity rides described as races in the charity's own publicity.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

How many times have I mentioned gel wrappers, etc.? And looking about, I am not the only one.

Who cares if it is not the only rubbish, or if MacD customers throw more of the litter out there? MacDs are much more widespread than cyclists sadly. Even so, any litter is crass, and gel wrappers are as crass as the rest of it.

Take your damn litter home or put it where it belongs.

tatanab wrote:Calling it a race is just sloppy, mind you I've seen charity rides described as races in the charity's own publicity.

Eh? Does this make any difference to the matter at hand?

Anyway... Likewise innertubes, CO2 canisters, patch backings, snapped bungees, whatever, crap is crap, deal with it appropriately.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

If you can take it out with you then you can take it home with you unless you can find a bin.
I enjoy my rides in the country for many reasons, one of which is getting away from the mess and crap in populated areas.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

'Leave no trace' seems like a good sentiment to live by, whatever you're doing.... including farming...
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

and crime. :wink:
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints, or in our case wheel tracks.

Neil
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I used to live in France and drive back to the UK I was always astonished by the quantity of rubbish along UK main roads.

Some time ago I walked to my local Post Office (1 mile country roads) and was disgusted by the rubbish in the verges; so I asked the PO for a few carrier bags and over that mile home on single track country roads filled 3 carrier bags with rubbish (and gave up before getting home when all 3 bags were full).

And out riding I see loads of rubbish discarded along the roads. No idea of the source but we do seem to be a nation of litter louts.

Ian
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

maff1977 wrote:'Leave no trace' seems like a good sentiment to live by, whatever you're doing.... including farming...

Is it showing my age, that your username makes me think your post is ironic? i.e. Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries and Food... :wink:

(Random post of the week, by me... :?: ).
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

The rubbish I saw a few years ago was definitely too much. I can only surmise what had happened, but it appeared as if someone had been paid to deliver a vanload of catalogues through peoples doors. It was evidently quicker and cheaper to drive around the countryside chucking them out of the window. Thousands of them. Mile after mile. In the trees, in the ditches, all over the road.....
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche