The cost of a pothole

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

The cost of a pothole

Post by Mick F »

The government is giving councils in England £168M for pothole repairs, to be shared between 148 local authorities.
Ministers say that should allow up to three million potholes to be fixed by March 2015.
That means each council gets just under £1.2M and all the potholes cost £56 each to fix.

Ha Ha Ha.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Re: The cost of a pothole

Post by Audax67 »

How many in Blackburn, Lancashire? And are they going to fill in the Albert Hall?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

:lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I think a pothole once cost me a car. No kidding. I can't prove it, and I never made any claim. See what you think.

In January 2011, driving at night, I drove over a particularly deep and nasty hole, evidently left over from recent wintry weather. The jar went right through the car: no question about it. I couldn't do much about it, and the car didn't appear to have suffered damage, so I continued home.

Next time I went to use the car (a week or two later: I don't use the car much :D ), I noticed a front tyre was flat. Closer inspection revealed the wheel itself was dented. So I went and got a new wheel. At the garage, when I explained the cause, they offered to check the tracking. They told me it was out of adjustment but said they'd fixed it.

More than a year later, in good weather, I lost control of the car, twice in two days, for no apparent reason. The second time, the car spun off the road, luckily without hitting anything or anyone. I was terrified, and drove it home very gingerly at low speed. It had just passed its 100,000, and I decided to trade it in then and there, although if this hadn't happened I was planning to hold on to it for a few years more. When you lose faith in your car, that's it.

So there we have it. I can't prove the incidents were connected, it's just a hunch.

But there's this comforting thought. If I'd hit that same pothole on my bike, it might have cost me my life, not just my car.

The pothole in question has since been repaired. It was over 3 years ago. But there are many about that haven't. And if this is the budget, they won't. Take care, folks!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Vantage (sig line) wrote:Those chickens are a menace to society

Don't know whether you know this, but the French colloquial term for a pothole is nid-de-poule - literally 'hen's nest'. So yes, your sig line is surprisingly apt to this topic!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

London got the most money , yet its not that big of an area ??
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I recently earoled our county councillor at a 'roads and bridges meeting'. He claims he is a cyclist! I pointed out that on one stretch of local road there are 40 potholes in one mile, some of them 3 feet square and 8 inches deep. He was totally disinterested and told me to go and log all the holes and report them. I replied that it would take me best part of a day to report the location depth and send in a photograph of each of them. Why should I do that because the state of that particular road, which is on Sustrans Route 5 was exceptionally bad, and that is precisely why I was talking to him personally? Unfortunately, around here people blindly vote Tory taking no account of who they are voting for. I told him he was absolutely useless and a waste of space. He was taken aback at that.
The roads aroud here are terrible at the moment. Its not only potholes but they ard covered in sharp flints and gravel. I have had four punctures in the last fortnight and had to replace one tyre and two inner tubes.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

al_yrpal wrote:... He was totally disinterested and told me to go and log all the holes and report them. I replied that it would take me best part of a day to report the location depth and send in a photograph of each of them. Why should I do that because the state of that particular road, which is on Sustrans Route 5 was exceptionally bad, and that is precisely why I was talking to him personally? ...

Whilst not wishing to disagree that he was totally disinterested, absolutely useless and a waste of space; he did give you some accurate advice.

Councils regularly defend against pothole damage claims with success. If an accident occurs a prior report that "the road is in a deplorable state" has far greater wriggle room in court than a specific report of an individual pothole. So reporting forty individual potholes is the best way forward, whilst keeping your fingers crossed that you don't end up in pothole forty one.

I believe there is some case law to illustrate this but I can't dig it out at the moment. If you'd like some general law and case examples of local authorities wriggling then there's plenty of them here: http://ukcyclerules.com/2011/10/10/poth ... cling-law/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

There has been a very dangerous pothole to cyclists on my regular rural shopping route to Porthmadog.

For years I ummed and ahhed about reporting it. I finally did (should have done earlier - lazy bugger). It's 320mm long x 85mm wide BUT 75mm deep with cliff faced sides. A deffo off if front wheel went in and would not get out.

It must have been difficult for a Highway Engineer to asses from his/her moving vehicle.

I caught my back wheel in it and fortunately survived. Even though I knew where it was, it was filled with water - and almost disappeared out of sight. The rest of the road was awash with rain too.

Once reported this tiny hole was filled within 48 hours. WELL done Gyngor Gwynedd (Gwynedd Council)

Costings not available but job done :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
gaz

Post by gaz »

There's one near me that I reported two years ago. A five metre long crack where the road is subsiding.

It was quickly coned off, the cones later replaced by lightweight barriers and roadwork signs, subsequently upgraded to semi-permanent barriers bolted to the carriageway with directional priority signage around them.

The hole's still not fixed. I imagine there are some complex negotiations between the highway authority and the adjacent landowner, the road is subsiding into a castle moat :lol: .

Edit - Pic1
Last edited by gaz on 27 Jun 2014, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

al_yrpal wrote:.... some of them 3 feet square and 8 inches deep. ....

That's not a pot hole, that's a terrain feature!
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Mick F wrote:That means each council gets just under £1.2M and all the potholes cost £56 each to fix.

I saw something on the BBC where they said that the average cost of fixing a pothole is £57. So plausible if the potholes to be fixed cluster around the normal average. But I don't think the money is being evenly split among councils. I think some places like Cumbria were getting a lot more.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Had to order yet another tyre for my Mercian today, split sidewall! Repairing punctures is becoming monotonous.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Economies of scale might stretch it a bit further? Don't know how councils deal with potholes usually.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Postboxer wrote:Economies of scale might stretch it a bit further? Don't know how councils deal with potholes usually.

There are high output pothole mending machines, which deal quickly and cheaply with potholes in a certain size range at about half to a third the cost of the common method, provided you have enough work for the machine, and the conditions are sufficiently dry. One of those machines was taken down a local road to me after one of those particularly cold winters, and they mended 70 small potholes on that road in a day (I know cos I counted and it's only half a mile or so). Still good mends 5 years later. I think they tend to be owned by contracting companies rather than councils because of the need to keep them working enough.