Tailgating

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dynamite_funk

Tailgating

Post by Dynamite_funk »

On my way to swimming baths this morning, a chap undertakes me just as lights turn green who is obviously out for a ride and not on his way to work (small set of tools in his jersey pocket and nothing else). I then overtake him just after lights and continue on my way. After 2/300 metres I feel a presence behind me and this guy is fully drafting me (10cm from my wheel) I was a bit shocked as I had no idea he was there, no forewarning or 'mind if I draft you mate, just finishing a 60miler'. I brake and so does he and I say 'you could ask mate'. He drops back a bit and we stop at lights and I say 'seriosuly mate, just ask next time' and he goes 'alright alright'. Lights go green and he proceeds to whizz off (legs can't have been that tired!), in my defence I had a full saddle bag weighing 10kg so couldn't keep up with him.

What causes this behaviour? Strava segments, arrogance, too many sportives? In my opinion, if you don't ask you are just being rude :evil:
Vorpal

Re: Tailgating

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
beardy

Post by beardy »

Dynamite_funk wrote:On my way to swimming baths this morning, a chap undertakes me just as lights turn green who is obviously out for a ride and not on his way to work (small set of tools in his jersey pocket and nothing else). I then overtake him just after lights and continue on my way. After 2/300 metres I feel a presence behind me and this guy is fully drafting me (10cm from my wheel) I was a bit shocked as I had no idea he was there, no forewarning or 'mind if I draft you mate, just finishing a 60miler'. I brake and so does he and I say 'you could ask mate'. He drops back a bit and we stop at lights and I say 'seriosuly mate, just ask next time' and he goes 'alright alright'. Lights go green and he proceeds to whizz off (legs can't have been that tired!), in my defence I had a full saddle bag weighing 10kg so couldn't keep up with him.

What causes this behaviour? Strava segments, arrogance, too many sportives? In my opinion, if you don't ask you are just being rude :evil:

It seems to be one of those situations where neither of you is in the position of being able to overtake the other and leave them behind as you carry on your merry way.
The guy had passed you once but you took the lead again, personally I would take that as an invitation to remain behind you and not to bother overtaking again.

Many times I get overtaken (in the car as well) by people who have made the effort to overtake and then proceed more slowly than I was doing before hand, I normally just follow them , of course on a bike life is then easier as you are drafting (it was their choice to go there.)
In the car it is annoying as you have to back off and then other cars get so worked up about your safety space that they overtake into it. Then you change from being on an open road doing 60 mph to being at the back of a tailback of people doing 50mph all of whom have overtaken you to be there!!!

I have no complaints about people getting a free ride from me if and when I overtake on my bike but I would as it doesnt happen often (that I overtake). :lol:

If I was ever to catch up with somebody on the bike, I may consider asking if I can draft them then they will feel obliged to let me pass without getting worked up about it, especially as it is most likely I will not be fast enough to get clear of them for quite a while.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I read years ago that a rider on his own experiences more drag than a rider with another behind him, provided the other guy is close enough for a single aerodynamic envelope to form around them both. So maybe "hey, thanks!" would be the right reaction. Courtesy, of course, would also require that he take a turn up front.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

It's not just about aerodynamics though is it, it is also about personal space and safety. I do not do group riding (although I may well be joining a club in the near future) so I am slightly unnerved if someone, especially someone I do not know, gets right up my ****.

The difference with bikes and cars is that it is much more easy to communicate your intentions as there is no glass or engine noise to be dealt with, other than passing cars that is. A simple 'now then mate, Ok if I draft you?' would have settled things and I may well have made a road buddy.

What if I had to brake suddenly and he goes into the back of me as i had no idea he was there? I certainly wouldn't be thankful for aerodynamics then!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Think yourself lucky he's giving you a 'bow-wave'... :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've had the same thing happen several times - i have had them run in to the back of me too when i've stopped for lights and they've clearly been of the red light runner variety.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!