Learning to ride on the road with a mountain bike?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PRL

Re: Learning to ride on the road with a mountain bike?

Post by PRL »

Audax67 wrote:
As Si observed, MTBs are not the best bikes for the road. If you ever do move over to a pukka asphalt eater you'll be amazed how much faster it goes.

Hmm I think it was BMXs that were disparaged for road riding. In most parts of England the best way of avoiding traffic is to find routes with off-road sections. An "asphalt eater" that can't cope with a slightly rough surface is too limiting.
Si

Post by Si »

Yes, I've nothing against mountain bikes (well, as long as they don't have three ft of suspension travel at both ends, and silly gears)...it's BMXs that I detest when used as road bikes.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

One tip I would have, is keep everything properly lubricated, it's better for the bike and you'll go faster*.
If you get the bike serviced, or get someone to help you do it yourself, making sure the bearings etc. are all properly greased is important too.

* many, many years ago, before most people used modern lubricants, a friend asked me to look at her new (to her) bike, as she had been using it all summer and it wasn't running as well as it had been doing. As I went out to the garage to take a look, I casually asked 'when did you last oil the chain?' (so I'd have some idea of how messy my job might be). The blank look I got back as she said 'oil?' made a tentative diagnosis fairly easy. The poor old chain was as dry as an old parchment, and very, very stiff. A bit of 3-in-1 ( for the youngsters, that's what most people used to use on bike chains) and both she and the bike were happy again. :wink:
amenahmw

Post by amenahmw »

Thanks for all of the advice! I have no idea where to start when it comes to bike maintenance so I'll definitely get it serviced beforehand- I'll see if I can find anyone to teach me how to maintain my bike after that. I'm going to book a Bikeability course soon so that should help with learning to ride on roads :). What tyres would you recommend for road riding? I'm thinking of Schwalbe City Jets as they seem affordable. Thanks for all of the help :).
pyruse

Post by pyruse »

I still use 3 in 1 on my chain (and indeed on other moving stuff on the bike); it works fine. Does that make me a bad person?
grani

Post by grani »

pyruse wrote:I still use 3 in 1 on my chain (and indeed on other moving stuff on the bike); it works fine. Does that make me a bad person?
+1
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

grani wrote:
pyruse wrote:I still use 3 in 1 on my chain (and indeed on other moving stuff on the bike); it works fine. Does that make me a bad person?
+1

Doesn't make you a bad person - but there are better lubricants to use; 3in1 is thin enough to get squeezed out the chain at the points it is most needed.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Not at all. :wink:
I just didn't know anyone who still did, and with a younger person in question, thought I ought to explain! I used it for years myself. My mate with her unoiled bike had a hub gears, so stuck to 3 in 1, whereas I've always had a derailleur, so I have more bits and pieces to lubricate and attract dust, I just find it easier to use a modern lube.

Tubes- well, I use Panaracer RibMos and have only had one p****** in four years, and that was a big piece of quartz that I think came from Snowdonia via my walking boots, not the road. It wrote off the tyre as well as the tube. Despite the thorns on the country roads round here, I never had any other p*****s.
Not sure they'd do them in your size, though, amenahmw.

Keep us up to date with your exploits, it would be nice to know how you get on.
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

amenahmw wrote: What tyres would you recommend for road riding? I'm thinking of Schwalbe City Jets as they seem affordable. Thanks for all of the help :).

Hello amenahmw

I started road cycling some years back by putting Scwalbe City Jets on my mountain bike – they made a big difference; faster than knobblies, stable and reliable with, so far, only two punctures (one was from a rogue drawing pin outside Morrisons so unavoidable). I've used the bike for everything I need - commuting, shopping, group rides and camping holidays. It's also done London to Cambridge with full camping gear (because I was en route for a two week trip round Norfolk and not because I take that sort of kit on a day's sportive – thankyou Mr Sarcastic Roadie :evil: ). Excuse my digression :) . There are lighter and faster tyres to be had but for starting out, I'd opt for puncture resistance and durability over speed. I still use the mountain bike as my runaround and, interestingly, it's no slower than my 'road' bike for getting across town due to all the traffic lights (yes, I do stop), hold ups and poorly surfaced roads. A big advantage to using a heavy mountain bike for a while is the increased fitness – when you finally get a lighter bike you'll fly :P !

Regarding basic maintenance, how about looking for courses in your area? Depending on where you are, there can be a variety of inexpensive ways to learn ranging from council funded courses to local community workshops. There are also lots of very helpful 'how to' videos on You Tube.

Good luck - and enjoy it!
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
amenahmw

Post by amenahmw »

Thanks for the help again :). There are courses being offered on bike maintenance for £40. I'm going to get the bike checked over in a week and then decide from there whether it is worth sticking with my current bike and replacing bits and bobs, financially speaking- after all it is a cheap Sabre bike. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens next week :). Thanks for all of the advice- I'm currently in the process of reading the Highway Code. I'll also lookout for 'Cyclecraft'. I'll definitely keep you all updated :). Thanks again!
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Slow Loris wrote:...... only two punctures (one was from a rogue drawing pin outside Morrisons so unavoidable).
Unavoidable? :wink:
"42"
Slow Loris

Post by Slow Loris »

squeaker wrote:
Slow Loris wrote:...... only two punctures (one was from a rogue drawing pin outside Morrisons so unavoidable).
Unavoidable? :wink:

The puncture may have been avoidable - Morrisons wasn't :D . Nearly dislocated both my thumbs trying to change a Marathon + tyre which did get a visit from the puncture fairy – alright, it was the narrowest size. Amenahmw may like to keep her thumbs - and temper - during her first tyre changing attempt :wink: . I find the City Jets much easier to fix.
Slow Loris
Energy sparingly used
JodieL

Post by JodieL »

Good luck with the training. Take it slow and learn how best to keep yourself safe, most of all though enjoy your time out on the roads.