Learning to ride on the road with a mountain bike?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
amenahmw

Learning to ride on the road with a mountain bike?

Post by amenahmw »

Hello,

I'm 15 and I'm really keen to learn how to ride on the road. I own this mountain bike which I've had since I was 10 years old- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ladies-Sabre- ... 1446781534

I can ride a bike and that's it really. I haven't got any experience of on-road cycling but I plan to get lessons soon as I believe that being able to cycle on roads will help me out in the future and I really want to get back into riding my bike like I used to. This mountain bike is fairly slow, and you have to pedal REALLY hard to keep up with the other bikes, so I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to use this bike. Plus, I rode it around the garden for the first time today in about a year and a half so it's slightly rusty and the brakes and gears don't seem to be in the best condition. I have no maintenance skills whatsoever; I wouldn't be able to pump up a deflated tyre if I tried but I am really willing to learn. However, before I go out and buy a hybrid/road bike, I want to prove to myself/my parents that I am interested in bikes and won't lose interest in cycling after a few months.

So do you think I would be able to have lessons on this mountain bike and move up to a better bike once I have shown I'm committed? Also as a side note, how difficult is cycling on roads? Considering I don't have the previous experience of driving, I'd have to learn the basics of being on the road, which seems quite daunting but like I said, I don't mind if it takes time to learn.

Thanks!
Vorpal

Re: Learning to ride on the road with a mountain bike?

Post by Vorpal »

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Just put some smooth tyres on your mountain bike, like Schwalbe City Jets, or Big Apples, and pedalling your bike will get much easier. A bike shop can check your bike over for you and make certain everything is working correctly.

If you can, sign up for some Bikeability courses. If you can't, or in the meanwhile, look for book called Cyclecraft by John Franklin. The library is likely to have a copy.

Many areas have bike rides aimed at beginning and returning cyclists. They are often run by Sustrans, the CTC, British Cycling, or the local council. If you found this forum, you can check their websites for activities in your area. You may also be able to find a 'Dr. Bike' where they will help you with maintenance.

And enjoy the cycling. :D

The main problem with your current bike is that it is likely to be too small. That may make it difficult for you to do some things on a Bikeability course.

Oh, and the saddle may be too low. Try setting it, or get some help setting it, so that it is just high enough for you to straighten your legs at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but that you knee is still slightly bent when you pedal. The seat post should have a line on it, called a minimum insertion line. Don't pull it out further than that line.

p.s. cycling on the road can be intimidating, but if you can start with quiet roads while you gain experience, it will be easier. It may help if you can find others to ride with.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Si

Post by Si »

Hi 'amenahmw', welcome to the forum.

Assuming that the bike is roadworthy (brakes and gears do work, etc) , and that the bike fits you OK, then there is no reason why you shouldn't use it to learn to ride on the road.....I've taught loads of people who have had much less suitable bikes (I hate BMXs*).

If you go to a bikebility lesson then the first thing that they should teach you is how to do a safety check on the bike, however, if the bike is unsafe they will not let you use it for the session. Some instructors will do minor fixes to it, and most will top the air up in the tyres (while muttering darkly under their breath :lol: ), but don't count on it...best to take the bike to a good bike shop to get it serviced beforehand....this is your next problem: make sure that they do a report and quotes for any work that it needs before they do the work - that way you can give them the OK beforehand rather than finding you have been landed with a bill for more than the bike is worth!

Regarding speed - don't worry, in bikeability lessons it's the ones that go fast that tend to fail, whereas those that go at a modest/reasnable speed and give themselves time to think about what they are doing have a much better chance of passing. If you do want to go a bit faster then getting a pair of slick road tyres will transform the bike.

As for how difficult it is to ride in the road.....not that hard. Have a read through the High Way Code first so that you know how has priority at junctions, and understand the common road signs, etc. In bikeability your first session will probably be a L1 - this is done away from traffic and just checks that you can control the bike, stop, start, make observations, etc . Then you go for L2 which is done on quieter roads and teaches position, observation and communication, all under the care of the instructor. This gives you the basics required to ride most quieter roads. Once experienced in that you can do a L3 that takes you onto the busier and bigger stuff and is often tailored to your individual concerns.

Assuming that you can control the bike OK, then the most of the rest of it is in the mind - just getting the confidence.

Anyway, I don't know where you are, but if you are in Birmingham then send me a PM and I might be able to get you some free lessons.

* OK, OK - they are great for doing what they are meant to do...but not great fr learning road riding on.

<edit: post composed at same time as Vorpal's - not just repeating the same things for the sake of it!>
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I would'nt know where to start, I came from an era where at seven you would be out on the street unsupervised, there were few cars then and only one at a time on the road too.
I would fear for anyone starting out on the road for the first time, luckily there are instructors posting here.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
amenahmw

Post by amenahmw »

Thanks for all of the advice :) . I've decided to change the tyres on my current bike to Schwalbe City ones and I'm going to get a shop to check it over next week. The bike I have seems to fit me fine (26" wheels with a 17" frame), and I can adjust the seat so my legs extend the way they should. Do 26" wheels seem alright for road riding? I'm 5'7" by the way, in case that makes a difference. Thanks!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The frame sounds like about the right size for you. I thought it might be too small because you said you had had since you 10 years old. But maybe it was too big when you got it.

26" tyres are fine for riding on the road. :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Agree with everyone else about training, but a couple of theings I would add.
Read the highway code. It has sections for cycling but most of it applies to all vehicles as well as motor transport. Dont worry about the bike or tyres as long as overall its in roadworthy condition.
Look for quite roads to start off on.
NUKe

Post by eileithyia »

Hi and welcome. Good advise so far and would also say look for bikeability course. When I first had a bike and my dad thought I was ready to ride on the road, he used to take me out around the local streets and taught how to ride, signal and turn at junctions.. I well remember his look when he thought I had cut a corner on a right turn into a side street..
The world has moved on, but first and foremost I would suggest you get a copy of the highway code and ensure you know the 'rules' of the road, simple basics like positioning, signalling etc., esp when dealing with junctions. and learn some of the road signs, esp those that apply to cyclists, but they are all important.

Definitely get the bike checked out to ensure cables are still ok etc., you do not want a cable to break when you first start out on your learning curve.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Si wrote:
* OK, OK - they are great for doing what they are meant to do...but not great fr learning road riding on.

Apologies for off-topic. But it's a fashion thing isn't it? You see the kids (kids these days tsk! ;) ) riding BMX bikes on the road and it looks really hard work, a small group passed me two on BMX and one on a ordinary hybrid, but he had the seat down as low as it could go, presumably to make it look similar to a BMX, looked like he was trying to pedal while sitting in an arm chair.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I thank God that when I was growing up BMXs were so last year and everybody had moved on to early mountain bikes (rigid like amenahmw's). I also had access to an old ten speed which were also something that had been fashionable briefly (for those too old for BMXs). Okay the tyres on the mountain bikes were useless for road, but everything else made them good all-purpose bikes. A rare case of fashion and utility combining.

amenahmw, good luck with getting used to riding on the roads. You will probably have picked up more than you think about the rules of the road by observing others. It probably won't be as alien as it seems. Something like the highway code may seem daunting but a lot of the rules are fairly obvious or common sense and quite a few are not all that relevant to bikes. If it all seems difficult at first it is well worth persisting with as things only get easier with experience.

Good luck :)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Having to ingest the Highway Code is a hell of a hurdle. Reaching the age of 15 without knowing enough to survive is highly unlikely unless you've been living in a retreat on top of a mountain. Main elements are keep left, obey the lights, signal before changing lane or direction, don't surprise other road users, try not to fulfil pedestrians' death-wishes, and if it's bigger than you give way even though you're in the right. Road craft is a different kettle from the Code, and books about it can even be interesting.

As Si observed, MTBs are not the best bikes for the road. If you ever do move over to a pukka asphalt eater you'll be amazed how much faster it goes.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

If you can ride on the road in a sensible manner, not cut people up, make unexpected moves or otherwise behave like a complete tit, then you're already doing better than most of your age group and much of the population at large.
Last edited by Mark1978 on 17 Jun 2014, 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

Audax67 wrote:Having to ingest the Highway Code is a hell of a hurdle. Reaching the age of 15 without knowing enough to survive is highly unlikely unless you've been living in a retreat on top of a mountain.

You'd be surprised!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mark1978 wrote:a small group passed me two on BMX and one on a ordinary hybrid, but he had the seat down as low as it could go, presumably to make it look similar to a BMX, looked like he was trying to pedal while sitting in an arm chair.

I was on one of my rides along a valley route and went past a 15 - 16 year old kid on a BMX low saddle and he managed to stay with me for several miles at 16 mph :o
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Audax67 wrote:As Si observed, MTBs are not the best bikes for the road. If you ever do move over to a pukka asphalt eater you'll be amazed how much faster it goes.

But they CAN be the most comfortable, and already come with triple clanger :!:
They are also in abundance at the recycling centres.....dumped for next years model...........

Slow......different technique but maybe only as much as 1 MPH at 15 MPH I.M.O......with some good not pure slick tyres.......