Two Abreast

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Two Abreast

Post by kwackers »

So I know this is a topic that's been done to death, but I really needed to vent my spleen...

So this morning I'm cycling to meet my 'running' buddies for a quick 15 mile trail run, to get there I cycle since it's just 5 miles each way.

So the first thing that gets my hackles up is I'm sat at the lights and these two lycra warriors slip past my inside and stop in front of me - no acknowledgement and they're obviously going to be faster than a greyed haired guy on a tourer with panniers right?
Well, no. They cycled along at a respectable speed but they weren't going any faster and often were going slower than I'd like and being two abreast (and not cycling in straight lines) made it difficult for me to pass. Wouldn't it have been just a tad more polite to queue behind me and overtake a bit further up the road once they knew I was slower?
However that's a mild annoyance and not a real gripe (and par for the course from my experience of weekend warriors).

What *REALLY* got on my wick is when we reached various one way systems they took up positions in adjacent lanes completely blocking the road. I've no idea what the drivers following thought - but they're were obviously a lot more patient than I'd have been in the circumstances. And they didn't just do this on one bit of road they did it on several, even when the lanes markings didn't match their intended direction.

Under normal circumstances I'd defend any cyclists right to ride two abreast since I think it makes good sense but I couldn't in a million years defend people who deliberately ride two abreast in two separate lanes completely blocking them to other traffic and paying no attention to anyone else on the road.

A pair of ignorant pri's.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Two Abreast

Post by [XAP]Bob »

two lanes is taking 'primary' a bit far...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Which goes to show idiots aren't all driving cars :wink:
FWIW,I witness some completely idiotic behaviour from cyclists too.
Like the numpty last Friday through padgate/Fernhead on what looked like a nice MTB who thought it a good idea to ride against the flow of traffic on(his)righthand bend.He got a bit of a shock meeting me coming the opposite way with an equally stupid driver overtaking me,and an even bigger one when he tried to hop onto the pavement almost losing it completely,thankfully I had enough room to avoid him :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:Which goes to show idiots aren't all driving cars :wink:

They probably drive like that every weekday. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Here's another take on the two-abreast debate.

Today I was passed by a group (I wouldn't go so far as to say "peloton") of roadies, on a main road but not particularly busy. Because they were two abreast, and deep in voluble conversation, I heard them coming in good time. Needless to say, not so much as a nod to yours truly (I'm on a road bike, but slow and not wearing all the kit so I obviously don't count :( ).

Now - if they'd chosen to be singled up (and as I said, we are on a main road), they wouldn't have been chatting away and I wouldn't have heard them. As discussed at length in another thread, no-one likes a silent approach from behind.

So two-abreast does bring an unexpected benefit after all. :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
kwackers wrote:Under normal circumstances I'd defend any cyclists right to ride two abreast since I think it makes good sense ...................

I would'nt.

Was out cycling the other day and two cyclist two abreast ( I would normally move to single on hearing traffic from behind) were approching me in the other direction, a car came up behind them then proceeded to overtake, seeing me coming the other way it pulled back behind the cyclist.

Not all car drivers do that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

I've vented my spleen with regards to going two-abreast on the road already. Here's a different scenario I came across a couple of weeks ago:

The route back from my regular evening blast up to Dartmoor goes down an unbelievably steep, twisty, blind, narrow-yet-two-way downhill section of road. It's absolute suicide to go down it at full pelt, as if you meet a vehicle coming the other way, you will definitely hit it hard. A group of 3 lads on mountain bikes overtook me going flat out... They got away with it, and at the bottom, they were hanging round the access gate to the cycle track, so I went through and carried along the path which is downhill all the way to Plymouth. A short while later, these 3 blasted past me, legs a blur. They're on low-pressure knobblies, and I'm on 700c, fairly-high-pressure slicks - I was able to keep up with them without pedaling. I was having to brake slightly, as they were blocking the path by going two abreast, with the other lad struggling a bit behind them. They were looking back at me every now and then, so I decided not to ask if they'd let me through, but just keep quiet, sit right on their back wheel and keep the pressure on. By the time we got near the end of the path, they'd stopped shouting to each other, were sweating like rapists and had turned purple. They took the first available exit near the bottom and did not look remotely happy as I freewheeled past.

It would have been courteous of them to single out so I could have got past, but I'm glad they didn't - it was fun.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I don't get it you were overtaken by three cider drinking MTB'ers legless you are on 700 slicks :?: :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Erm... I had a sore knee that day. I've got a note from my mum to prove it and everything!
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

kwackers wrote:
So the first thing that gets my hackles up is I'm sat at the lights and these two lycra warriors slip past my inside and stop in front of me

Cycle in London for any period of time and you get well used to this. Not just lycra warriors but Boris bikers, MTBers, Brommie riders, upstairs models with baskets, every Tom Dick and Harry does it. Then they pull slowly away because none of them know how to change down gears when stopping.

Arrgh.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

You MUST NOT

carry a passenger unless your cycle has been built or adapted to carry one
hold onto a moving vehicle or trailer
ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner
ride when under the influence of drink or drugs, including medicine.
Law RTA 1988 sects 24, 26, 28, 29 & 30 as amended by RTA 1991

"Inconsiderate manner" in my book.
boris

Post by boris »

''sweating like rapists''

What a wonderfully evocative description , where have I seen it before ?Was it one of Oscar Wilde's?
Of course I can only only suppose that it is an accurate comparison,never having had personal experience.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

boris wrote:''sweating like rapists''

What a wonderfully evocative description , where have I seen it before ?Was it one of Oscar Wilde's?
Of course I can only only suppose that it is an accurate comparison,never having had personal experience.

Now you draw attention to this phrase (from a post I hadn't bothered to read) I'm not sure I care for that simile either. I sweat rather a lot (one theory is that it's a side-effect of the antidepressants I'm still taking) and I find the allusion to rapists - disturbing :evil: . Incidentally, I don't 'blast' anywhere, whether up a hill or down, nor do I fret to pass other cyclists if there's not enough room - though I do appreciate courtesy.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

661-Pete wrote:Now you draw attention to this phrase (from a post I hadn't bothered to read) I'm not sure I care for that simile either. I sweat rather a lot (one theory is that it's a side-effect of the antidepressants I'm still taking) and I find the allusion to rapists - disturbing :evil: . Incidentally, I don't 'blast' anywhere, whether up a hill or down, nor do I fret to pass other cyclists if there's not enough room - though I do appreciate courtesy.

We were all wondering - thanks for clearing that up.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
kwackers wrote:Under normal circumstances I'd defend any cyclists right to ride two abreast since I think it makes good sense ...................

I would'nt.

Was out cycling the other day and two cyclist two abreast ( I would normally move to single on hearing traffic from behind) were approching me in the other direction, a car came up behind them then proceeded to overtake, seeing me coming the other way it pulled back behind the cyclist.

Not all car drivers do that.

Which was the fault of the car driver, not the cyclists, when overtaking you need to see that you have sufficient space to do so, taking into account oncoming traffic, the driver failed to do this, the cyclists were irrelevant in the matter.