A bit of a death wish?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Edwards

Re: A bit of a death wish?

Post by Edwards »

TonyR wrote:Of course, Shootist being the good road user he is will have slowed down until he could see what this strange orange object was on the road and then acted appropriately to wait behind or pass it.

From his description he did not endanger or anything else. I just wonder how many other drivers would be considerate?

For the record MrsE has a recumbent Trike that I ride and I would not ride it along the derestricted dual carriageways, not because of the law or wanting to give way to others. But I would not put my life in the way of some half asleep texting drunken idiot.
Yes I have been driven from some roads and do not care. At least I have not ended up with a broken back.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

TonyR wrote:Of course, Shootist being the good road user he is will have slowed down until he could see what this strange orange object was on the road and then acted appropriately to wait behind or pass it.

Being a good driver I noted that the road was empty of other road users as far as the eye could see both in front and behind. I had already noticed that the road was a dual carriageway, so I moved into lane 2, rather excitedly at such an opportunity, and passed this other vehicle at the proper distance, carefully observing the nature and design of this other vehicle for future reference.

It did, of course, cross my mind that the correct thing to do would be to accelerate and pass this vehicle at the highest possible speed, with about 1/16" clearance, or even to sideswipe it as I passed. What the hell, just drive straight into it. I was worried that I might have dismayed members of this forum by not doing so and thereby challenging their blind bigotry, but hey ho, life is more important.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Edwards wrote:

From his description he did not endanger or anything else. I just wonder how many other drivers would be considerate?

For the record MrsE has a recumbent Trike that I ride and I would not ride it along the derestricted dual carriageways, not because of the law or wanting to give way to others. But I would not put my life in the way of some half asleep texting drunken idiot.
Yes I have been driven from some roads and do not care. At least I have not ended up with a broken back.

Exactly my point.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I've ridden on dual carriageways and never had an issue. Having said that I find them deeply unpleasant and generally avoid them.

In contrast I have endless problems on local roads and the worst of these is a traffic calmed winding road just 100 yards from my house. It *should* be a 20 but is instead a 30 but every pinch point becomes a race to get there first, every blind bend has someone prepared to overtake on the wrong side and any attempt to take primary for the blind bends or pinch points is met with aggression.

Then just this morning as I approached a left turn (I wanted to go straight on) where I'd normally take primary I was suddenly met with a convoy of speeding cars nose to tail that made it impossible for me to move out, the final vehicle being some stupid woman in an MX5 who as she came past put on her left indicator with the obvious intention of turning left regardless of where I was and thus forcing me to slam on to avoid her.

When I think about it I do wonder why I'm prepared to put up with the above yet find dual carriageways unpleasant despite having had no issues on them...
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Cunobelin wrote:Would it be really pedantic to point out that contrast is the important thing about visibility.

Against a grey road surface the maximum visibility would be achieved by a white fairing HiViz would be counter productive

No, not pedantic, but rather more sensible than the trite, artless, and frankly quite stupid post you made previously. But then you can quote research that white is the best high vis colour for all road conditions. Or would you pass a law that limits such vehicles to grey or black road surfaces only?

Part of my interest in this vehicle was that I would quite like one myself, although finances mean I am not likely to ever own one. But, if I did ever get such a machine, I would never ride it on any dual carriageway, as I never will on my current 'ordinary' bike. Pedal cycles are prohibited on motorways for a very good reason, and the difference between motorways and most dual carriageways is largely academic. Or would you happily ride your bike or trike down any motorway? Only a bloody fool would want to. I would also consider having a flashing red rear light operating full time, and possibly supplement it with a flashing white light, legal or not. The reason is, I place a value upon my life way in advance of some misbegotten idea that my rights as a cyclist will keep me out of hospital or the crem. There's never been a competent doctor in A&E who's looked at the crumpled remnants of a cyclist just brought in and suggested he will make a full recovery for no other reason than it wasn't his fault. Edwards has the right idea. Survival comes before rights.
[George Orwell]
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

kwackers wrote:I've ridden on dual carriageways and never had an issue. Having said that I find them deeply unpleasant and generally avoid them.

That is your subconscious telling you, quite correctly, that while you haven't yet had a problem on a dual carriageway, if you do have a problem, you are far more likely to have just the one. Ever.
[George Orwell]
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

It is not my idea but something that has happened to MrsE, she survived being hit by a car at just under 30mph. I do not rate our chances if we were hit at 70mph. I know statistically it is not so likely to happen on dual carriageways but I never trust statistics and it would hurt a lot.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
meic

Post by meic »

I was chatting to a guy on another Forum who said he had ridden from Milton Keynes to Carmarthen to visit his brother, it had only taken him one day. That journey would be a push for me to do in two days.

He explained that he just rode the A40 the whole way on his recumbent. He does that sort of thing on a regular basis and claims that he has little trouble at all. If people want to use cycles for serious personal transport, instead of running to the car with the slightest excuse, then we need to be able to use the flat direct routes that the Dual Carriageways monopolise.
Other wise it is just recreational or town use that bikes are good for and a car/mcycle is still required.
Yma o Hyd
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

When automatic braking is the norm I confidently predict dual carriageways will be amongst THE safest roads for cyclists. :lol:
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Shootist wrote:..... But, if I did ever get such a machine, I would never ride it on any dual carriageway, as I never will on my current 'ordinary' bike. Pedal cycles are prohibited on motorways for a very good reason, and the difference between motorways and most dual carriageways is largely academic....
So your OP would have been similar (but without the tortoise comments) if you had come across someone riding a 'safety' on the same road?
Sussex has it's fair share of pseudo motorways and, FWIW, I generally try and avoid them when there's a lot of traffic around (= poor sight lines for following vehicles driving too close to the vehicle in front, ie most of them), but when there's slow moving rush-hour traffic queues or later at night (when flashing rear lights come into their own) I have less worries (I also have a rear view mirror).
"42"
beardy

Post by beardy »

At a risk of going OT would an automatic braking system be taking recordings of the road's grip rating.
I can imagine the computer picking up the slow moving vehicle ahead (which may not itself carry a GPS and sender unit) planning a braking procedure and being rather powerless to prevent a crash when the tyres did not bite as expected.

It may give you a better chance than a real driver but when the court case came it would still see the company cleared as it was only a cyclist who shouldnt really have been on a DC anyway.
They could even quote this forum.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I often see riders along the A167 dual carriageway near Chester-le-Street, admittedly I've never seen anyone hit, but I wouldn't like to do it myself as drivers seem to think that there's enough room to overtake a cyclist whilst they have a car overtaking them on their right - there isn't enough room!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

beardy wrote:At a risk of going OT would an automatic braking system be taking recordings of the road's grip rating.
I can imagine the computer picking up the slow moving vehicle ahead (which may not itself carry a GPS and sender unit) planning a braking procedure and being rather powerless to prevent a crash when the tyres did not bite as expected.

It may give you a better chance than a real driver but when the court case came it would still see the company cleared as it was only a cyclist who shouldnt really have been on a DC anyway.
They could even quote this forum.

I'd imagine 99.9% of the time such a system would work just fine, they're unlikely to be designed to brake at the physical limits of the vehicle.

It's an interesting 'idea' though. We're only a few years from all new cars having such a system, just got to wait for all the old stuff to leave the roads...
beardy

Post by beardy »

I'd imagine 99.9% of the time such a system would work just fine

It wouldnt take long for 1,000 cars to pass a recumbent on a DC when the last week's worth of tyre rubber and diesel is being bought to the surface on the first rainy day.

So if worried like this with a machine in charge, there is good reason to fear with a human multitasking office work and driving.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

beardy wrote:
I'd imagine 99.9% of the time such a system would work just fine

It wouldnt take long for 1,000 cars to pass a recumbent on a DC when the last week's worth of tyre rubber and diesel is being bought to the surface on the first rainy day.

Yeah - but we're talking about 1000 successful braking attempts not 1000 overtakes. :wink: