Mr Loophole Strikes Again . . . .

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cjchambers

Mr Loophole Strikes Again . . . .

Post by cjchambers »

Another interesting case for Mr Freeman, quite beyond parody:

"Gateshead Rabbi killed by speeding driver 'could have been saved by reflective clothing' claims controversial lawyer"
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ed-7214253

A lawyer has controversially claimed that a Gateshead granddad killed by a speeding driver should have been wearing reflective clothing. Nick Freeman’s comments come after his client, Simon Martins pleaded guilty to causing the death of 82-year-old Rabbi Hyman Steinberg. Martins, 24, pleaded guilty to causing Mr Steinberg’s death by careless driving. A court in Manchester heard he was driving at up to 42mph on a 30mph road.

But Mr Freeman, who made his name defending celebrities from driving charges, claimed the grandfather could have been saved by a reflective ‘vest, arm bands or belt’. And he called on the government to introduce laws to ‘force’ pedestrians to ‘light up’ at night.

Mr Steinberg, who grew up in Gateshead, was walking to Saturday prayers at a synagogue in Salford, Manchester when he was mown down in December 2012.

Mr Freeman said: “At the time of the accident Mr Steinberg was wearing the traditional dress of many orthodox Jewish men, namely black hat, black suit and black overcoat. “I’m not suggesting everyone must wear a hi-viz jacket, but something reflective that would give them a visible presence, such as a vest, arm bands or belt. Pedestrians along with motorists and cyclists all share road space, and in my view therefore must assume some responsibility to ensure their visibility."

“Sadly, because he was ‘invisible’, Mr Steinberg has lost his life.”

Quite, quite bizzare and mindbogglingly insensitive.
Bicycler

Re: Mr Loophole Strikes Again . . . .

Post by Bicycler »

It's a safe bet that he'll have cited the relevant section of the highway code which suggests that pedestrians should do just that. This is the problem with putting in supposedly helpful advice for vulnerable road users' to improve their safety. It gets used to shift blame away from negligent drivers
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This kind of mitigation is heard daily in courts throughout the country and it's so common it often goes unreported. However, this is more free publicity for Mr Freeman, because he's the news.

NB: This was a guilty plea so the so-called Mr Loophole failed to find one on this occasion.
james01

Pedestrians forced to wear reflectives?

Post by james01 »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mr ... ng-3642605

My first reaction was disbelief, but there again nothing surprises me from this guy.
Psamathe

Re: Pedestrians forced to wear reflectives?

Post by Psamathe »

(From the article)Celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman has claimed a grandfather killed by a speeding driver could have lived if he had been wearing reflective clothing.

Which might just have well said "Celebrity lawyer Nick Freeman has claimed a grandfather killed by a speeding driver could have lived if he hand not been run into by speeding driver."

Or many other variants where the driver is seen as being in the wrong (and the driver did plead guilty).

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Leech,parasite,creep,slickly excuse for humanity.Take your pick.
Headline:-
Mr Loophole: Grandad killed by speeding driver could have lived if he wore reflective gear

NO,NO,NO,he would've lived if the moron driving the car hadn't been speeding,using his mobile and had been paying attention to the road in front of him!

At least the offender pleaded guilty but where's the huge fine and the retest after the 15month ban is completed?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'd never heard of the scumbag until this morning when I read this viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87506 post.
I googled his name, clicked on his firms website and was astonished to find that he quite openly and proudly admits to doing whatever he can within law to get bad drivers off the hook. He even wrote a book on how to find legal loopholes.http://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co.uk/
For a split second, I thought about saving my pennies to buy him some morals for Christmas, but I doubt he'd use them.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Edit - Link removed as topics now merged
Last edited by gaz on 7 Jun 2014, 11:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Italia50

Post by Italia50 »

Utter lunacy.
Italia50

Post by Italia50 »

I cant wait till they get Freeman and theres no loophole available!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Also being discussed http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87516.

Maybe somebody merge the threads ? (Not a big deal but just a thought)

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vantage wrote:I'd never heard of the scumbag until this morning when I read this viewtopic.php?f=15&t=87506 post.
I googled his name, clicked on his firms website and was astonished to find that he quite openly and proudly admits to doing whatever he can within law to get bad drivers off the hook. He even wrote a book on how to find legal loopholes.http://www.nickfreemansolicitors.co.uk/
For a split second, I thought about saving my pennies to buy him some morals for Christmas, but I doubt he'd use them.

But if he wrote a book on finding loopholes in the law,isn't the real tragedy the fact that they haven't been closed?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

reohn2 wrote:But if he wrote a book on finding loopholes in the law,isn't the real tragedy the fact that they haven't been closed?

You'd think so.
I'm not holding my breath.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
beardy

Post by beardy »

He uses that very point in his defence of his actions and even claims that he is doing a public service in trying to get the law fit for purpose.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vantage wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But if he wrote a book on finding loopholes in the law,isn't the real tragedy the fact that they haven't been closed?

You'd think so.
I'm not holding my breath.

Trying to work out if there is a 'peverting the course of justice' charge he could be had under..
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.