Is this level of insanity commonplace?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Stradageek

Is this level of insanity commonplace?

Post by Stradageek »

Cycling uphill on a fast B-Road, two of us in-line astern, approaching a blind bend.

Car behind attempts an overtake and has to brake heavily as a car appears from round the bend at speed. Motorist changes down and accelerates to try and overtake again and again has to abort as another car comes speeding round the bend. We are now almost on the blind bend when he accelerates for a third time and tries again, surviving only because this time there is no speeding car coming the other way.

Is there any hope?
flat tyre

Re: Is this level of insanity commonplace?

Post by flat tyre »

Don't you know that cyclists MUST BE OVERTAKEN AT ALL COSTS!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Whilst cycling I'm regularly thinking "I'd never do that; daft" as a car overtakes me with totally inadequate visibility for any oncoming traffic.

I could not understand it until somebody here pointed out that many drivers don't consider bikes as something you overtake, but rather as something you "pass"; in a similar manner as you might pass a pedestrian or a tree on the verge or a lamppost, etc. And as the driver is "passing" rather than "overtaking" his/her brain seems to operate in a different manner, not really considering things like oncoming traffic.

Ian
Cusqueno

Post by Cusqueno »

I think you are right regarding "passing" (not "overtaking") bicycles. The Highway Code seems quite clear on the distinction - for instance:
Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid.
This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26
(My underlining.)
But in towns, especially with cycle lanes of what ever sort, road layouts seem designed to promote the view that "passing" a cyclist isn't "overtaking".
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Which is why the cycle lane should be the wide one on the left, the car one, the narrow one on the right, but then not allow the car to pass a cyclist whilst in the cycle lane.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Stradageek wrote:Cycling uphill on a fast B-Road, two of us in-line astern, approaching a blind bend.

Car behind attempts an overtake and has to brake heavily as a car appears from round the bend at speed. Motorist changes down and accelerates to try and overtake again and again has to abort as another car comes speeding round the bend. We are now almost on the blind bend when he accelerates for a third time and tries again, surviving only because this time there is no speeding car coming the other way.

Is there any hope?
Happens a lot.

I was out last week in Mid Devon on the A3072. I lost count of the the cars doing as you describe. It resulted in the oncoming traffic blasting their horns at the prospective overtakers.
Mick F. Cornwall
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Was out earlier, steepish hill with a blind crest, double white line, about 5 cars passed me all half over the double whites on a blind crest, last one had to cut in sharp as an oncoming car appeared.
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

there is hope - the oil's running out. :lol:
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Just illustrates why we need a law prescribing how a bicycle should be overtaken, as they do in France and Spain. 1.5m gap minimum on the open road and they must indicate. On the spot fine for not doing it.

Would it change anything? Not overnight but they would have to learn it for their driving licence.
Italia50

Post by Italia50 »

They'll do anything to save 0.5 seconds....
Italia50

Post by Italia50 »

Crazy fools!
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

maff1977 wrote:there is hope - the oil's running out. :lol:

Erm....what do you put on your chain then? :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
jezer

Post by jezer »

BeeKeeper wrote:Just illustrates why we need a law prescribing how a bicycle should be overtaken, as they do in France and Spain. 1.5m gap minimum on the open road and they must indicate. On the spot fine for not doing it.

Would it change anything? Not overnight but they would have to learn it for their driving licence.

I fear nothing will change until learner drivers are required to cycle as part of their training. Utopia? I expect so, especially as many instructors insist on 'making progress' with other traffic, which means speeding to you and me.
Power to the pedals
jezer

Post by jezer »

Vantage wrote:
maff1977 wrote:there is hope - the oil's running out. :lol:

Erm....what do you put on your chain then? :mrgreen:

I think most chain lubricants are synthetic :lol:
Power to the pedals
fretsaw

Post by fretsaw »

i was overtaken on a blind bend by a ambulance,sirens sounding;i think he misjudged his distances,and was unable to stop to pull in behind me;consequently he had to pass into a blind bend;thankfully the road into and beyond the bend was clear.