Thrown into cycle commuting - not by choice!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: Thrown into cycle commuting - not by choice!

Post by eileithyia »

From 0-26 mpd and shifts and family, phew... no wonder you are feeling it... as a commuting shift worker who was already a cyclist it is tough.. takes up a lot of your day and is very tiring as you have found.
As well as a lighter bike and tyres, can you consider part cycle part train? Try not to race it... just take it steady.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm with Tonyf33 for lighting,it's easy to stop such lights as he recommends dazzling by sticking black tape over the top 1/3 of the reflector,you'll need to experiment for best results.
You don't need a ''racing'' bike,a touring type bike will be almost as quick,be a lot more comfortable,and will take bigger tyres which contrary to popular belief aren't any slower than narrow HP tyres.
Cycling in the dark means you'll probably hit more potholes with potential for more punctures due to other unsighted hazards,good tyres and correct tyre pressures can make a huge difference in this respect.
Should you puncture it's best being ready,carry a couple of spare tubes and a head torch is handy.
Always leave at least an extra 10 minutes for outward journey times.
IMO a 26mile daily commute x4 is no small feat,especially if you have an active job and aren;t used to it,eat a balanced sensible diet,if you're carrying a bit of timber it'll fall off :) .
Good Luck.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Not sure why there's advice to avoid Halfords as the Carrera TDF, Virtuoso and Pendleton Initial all fall within the £300 - £400 price bracket, all spec Shimano or SRAM drivetrains, Tektro brakes and alloy frames with steel forks (none of that carbon ****). They're perfectly good bikes. They even have mudguard eyelets.
Granted the mechanics for the most part are eejits, but then again Decathlons are no better yet I see no posts advising against them.
Cree lights as others have said are basically awesome lights. I run an older model with a single LED. On it's lowest power setting it'll light up a trail in complete darkness and run for easily 6+ hours. The battery level LED on the back works fine. Despite my fondness for this light, I will say that I am saving for a dynamo setup because I'm basically tired of cutting rides short because I forgot to top up the battery.
Bigger tyres as said will roll just as easily as narrow ones but allow for potholes, comfort and more adventurous detours should you get bored with the usual route.
A rear rack and panniers will take whatever luggage you carry off your back and bum.
Mudguards. You won't regret them. Ever.
More fruit and less fried food if you're guilty of that sin...I am and am being forced to change my diet due to health issues.
Take your time and enjoy it, let Wiggo and friends do the racing malarkey :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Dave Mania wrote:I need to make this easier as I'm only a week in and I'm running out of energy!

Long commute, against headwinds, unsocial hours, inappropriate bike - you really are thrown in at the deep end. Congratulations on managing a week of it. Hat's off to you sir.

I would second all the advice to get a ±£400 road bike, either the Felt linked above or nice used one. I recently went from my mountain bike (with slick tyres) to a 1980s steel frame road bike with modern wheels, components and skinny tyres; I can't believe the difference, it is like a rocket compared to the MTB.

Don't despair. A new road bike will be a transformation. Then your fitness and stamina will improve. Pretty soon it will become a pleasure and not only will you be saving money but your general health will benefit hugely.

Stick with it.
Dave Mania

Post by Dave Mania »

TonyR wrote:You could try Sunrise Cycle near West Pier who rent out and sell second hand bikes (opening times are a bit hit and miss). Rent a reasonable road bike for a day and give it a try to see if it works for you and if you like it you could always buy it off him.

Ooh - thanks for that pointer, I think I noticed that place the other day on my way past. I definitely need a test ride on a road bike before throwing some money that way.

Vantage wrote:Bigger tyres as said will roll just as easily as narrow ones but allow for potholes, comfort and more adventurous detours should you get bored with the usual route.
A rear rack and panniers will take whatever luggage you carry off your back and bum.

Have swapped out the knobbly tyres for the original, rather snazzy whitewalls and retro mudguards... Urgently as it's supposed to be chucking it down tomorrow.

The front wheel on this bike has a nice dynamo hub which I'll certainly miss on a different machine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Dave Mania wrote:
TonyR wrote:You could try Sunrise Cycle near West Pier who rent out and sell second hand bikes (opening times are a bit hit and miss). Rent a reasonable road bike for a day and give it a try to see if it works for you and if you like it you could always buy it off him.

Ooh - thanks for that pointer, I think I noticed that place the other day on my way past. I definitely need a test ride on a road bike before throwing some money that way.

Vantage wrote:Bigger tyres as said will roll just as easily as narrow ones but allow for potholes, comfort and more adventurous detours should you get bored with the usual route.

Have swapped out the knobbly tyres for the original, rather snazzy whitewalls and retro mudguards... Urgently as it's supposed to be chucking it down tomorrow.

The front wheel on this bike has a nice dynamo hub which I'll certainly miss on a different machine.

you might be able to take it with you... or at let get a relatively cheap replacement...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

My own (limited) experience:
When I took-up cycling again, I was using an old rubbish MTB just to check I was going to do enough cycling to make it worth getting a better bike. Had knobbly tyres and I was not used to cycling. And I used to think that maybe one day I might be able to ride to local town to do shopping.

Then I got a better bike (with "touring tyres") and soon the idea of a ride to the local town is trivial and I extend the ride a lot further.

So, stick with it. It should save you loads of money, helps you get much fitter, burns through calories, etc. So many benefits.

Ian
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

Dave, you've come to a cycling website for advice, and, unsurprisingly, most people are offering you a bike-related solution. But seriously, I think you might need a car, and with the £400+ that people are trying to spend for you, you can get a reasonable internal combustion powered workhorse...no one wants to be seen in the Arkansas Chuggabug anymore. Why do I say this? Well, trying to sleep after cycling is difficult for an hour or two, so if you are shift working, I think you might be struggling to ever nod off. You've got a family, and they will make demands on you that you might not be able to fulfil with just a bike, and they will get annoyed. You also need a steely mindset or a cycling addiction to cycle out in hills every single day in all weathers, and you probably haven't developed this, yet. You also need quite a bit of gear for being out in all weathers.
Having a car will mean that you can keep using the Schwinn beach cruiser for now, and either cycle both ways a few days a week, or cycle one way, leaving the car alternately at home or work. You'll still be getting fit. Eventually, someone might even give you a nice bike, or loan you one....there are loads of unused or underused ones in sheds and garages, or you can save for a pedelec. [I can't believe the price of that Elf you linked to!]
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Decathlon Triban 3. Or. Halfords Subway which carries loads.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Urticaria wrote:Dave, you've come to a cycling website for advice, and, unsurprisingly, most people are offering you a bike-related solution. But seriously, I think you might need a car, and with the £400+ that people are trying to spend for you, you can get a reasonable internal combustion powered workhorse...no one wants to be seen in the Arkansas Chuggabug anymore.

An Arkansas Chuggabug will cost the OP around £7 a day in petrol (or coal rather) alone.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Urticaria wrote:Dave, you've come to a cycling website for advice, and, unsurprisingly, most people are offering you a bike-related solution. But seriously, I think you might need a car, and with the £400+ that people are trying to spend for you, you can get a reasonable internal combustion powered workhorse...no one wants to be seen in the Arkansas Chuggabug anymore. Why do I say this? Well, trying to sleep after cycling is difficult for an hour or two, so if you are shift working, I think you might be struggling to ever nod off. You've got a family, and they will make demands on you that you might not be able to fulfil with just a bike, and they will get annoyed. You also need a steely mindset or a cycling addiction to cycle out in hills every single day in all weathers, and you probably haven't developed this, yet. You also need quite a bit of gear for being out in all weathers.
Having a car will mean that you can keep using the Schwinn beach cruiser for now, and either cycle both ways a few days a week, or cycle one way, leaving the car alternately at home or work. You'll still be getting fit. Eventually, someone might even give you a nice bike, or loan you one....there are loads of unused or underused ones in sheds and garages, or you can save for a pedelec. [I can't believe the price of that Elf you linked to!]

It's this mindset that pushes so many away from cycling and into cars.
Thousands of cyclists in this country alone cycle long distances over big hills in rotten weather and still hold down jobs and a healthy family life.

[ Posted edited by Graham . . . . . . Well I'm a Mod. I request that you avoid blunt, insulting statements. ]
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Dave Mania wrote:As a postscript, I'd really, REALLY like a covered vehicle like the Elf http://organictransit.com/ but they don't sell 'em over here as yet.
There are better velomobiles (eg here), but they will cost as much as a nearly new small car, thanks to the benefits of intense mass production on motor vehicle construction.
"42"
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Urticaria wrote:Dave, you've come to a cycling website for advice, and, unsurprisingly, most people are offering you a bike-related solution. But seriously, I think you might need a car, and with the £400+ that people are trying to spend for you, you can get a reasonable internal combustion powered workhorse...

I would say that £400.00 does not necessarily buy a reasonable internal combustion powered workhorse. You may be lucky but at that price you also can't be surprised when a £250.00 or £300.00 repair is required three or four weeks after purchase - which is exactly what has happened to the OP already. Also on top of the £400.00 you need insurance, VED and likely a lot more money for consumables such as oil and tyres. And of course the petrol.

I regularly commute 50 miles round trip and though it can be hard it is possible. I do have some sympathy for the unsociable hours aspect though - I wouldn't want to get off the bike and go straight to bed and try to sleep.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Urticaria wrote:Dave, you've come to a cycling website for advice, and, unsurprisingly, most people are offering you a bike-related solution.

Maybe he asked on a cycling forum because he *wanted* bike related advice. Maybe he's also got a post on a motoring forum about what car he should buy.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

I wonder how people coped before cars when they had to cycle to t'pit 20 miles away? :roll: