Route check - comments invited

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
freeflow

Route check - comments invited

Post by freeflow »

I'm planning a route from near Cambridge down to where I used to live in Alham (near Dover/Folkstone). It will be a single day ride as I'm working up to doing 300 k Audaxes. I'll be using the Tilbury/Gravesend ferry and the route is fairly straightforward to there. From Gravesend I'm planning on following Cycle route No 1 on and off to Whitstable to pick up cycle route No 15 to follow the coast around to Folkstone before heading inland to Alkham.

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has cycled these routes recently, particularly cycle route 1 leaving Gravesend, through Rochester, and anything to note for cycle route no 15.
ANTONISH

Re: Route check - comments invited

Post by ANTONISH »

Cycle route 1 is good in parts it will take you to Rochester on "cycle paths" and "reasonably" quiet roads. The Higham canal section is very pleasant but the surface is rough. It's ok if you have reasonably substantial tyres.
After Rochester it's the usual frustrating process of meandering about.
You could of course do what I sometimes do and illegally use the footpath through the Medway tunnel-there you will find (legal) cycle paths to take you by a somewhat meandering route to the Rainham lower road to Upchurch.
I have found some of the CR1 off road stretches virtually unrideable. I would suggest using OS maps and Google maps to plot your own route.

You will find that a sensible plotted route will include sections of CR1.
I suggest Rochester, upchurch, Sittingbourne (not ideal but if you go through the industrial estate you can pick up the lower road to Faversham.
BTW I suppose you are aware that the ferry doesn't operate on Sundays and bank holidays.
The good news is that you can put your bike on virtually any train in Kent without booking - might be handy to bear in mind.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

This is my current proposed route

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/432624446/

My tyres will be 23C Michelin Pro 4 endurance.
gaz

Post by gaz »

freeflow wrote:This is my current proposed route http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/432624446/ My tyres will be 23C Michelin Pro 4 endurance.
It's twenty years since I was last in Essex so I can make few comments on that part of your route, however my recollection of the stretch from 58 to 59 includes pools of green sludge; I'd advise the road route through Linford. In case you are unaware, the Tilbury-Gravesend ferry does not run on Sundays or public holidays (whoops, ANTONISH covered that :oops: ).

Looking at the Kent stretches I'd make some changes based on your tyre choice.

From 63 take the Rochester Road, Chalk Road, Lower Higham Road to rejoin your route at 68. The Rochester road out of Gravesend is a bit grotty but the rest is pleasant.

After 76 stick on the B2004 to 79. You'll miss some river views but also unsurfaced paths, poor signage and dog walkers in droves.

79-104 is fine, watch for potholes but it's surfaced roads throughout. Your route through Faversham needs a minor adjustment, bear north after 95 following the B2040 to East St and 96. IIRC your existing route is mostly contra-flow to a semi-pedestrianised one-way street.

Many of the promenade sections from 104 to 120 were of the concrete slab variety last time I rode them, a bit bumpy at the frequent joints. Depending on the time of day and weather they can also be very busy with pedestrians, quick progress is neither possible nor desirable on such routes.

Anything beyond 120 is outside my experience.

Sustrans Ranger NCN1: Dartford - Rainham