Glued locks

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Glued locks

Postby TonyR » Sat May 31, 2014 2:49 pm

A reminder and warning about an old trick to steal a bike. My daughter's boyfriend locked his bike up outside the pub and when it was time to leave the lock wouldn't work and the key snapped off. When they phoned me for advice I suggested that the lock could have been super-glued so it would be left there and the wannabe thieves could come back when it was quiet in the middle of the night. With the prospect of sleeping out with it overnight, BF managed to get a locksmith to come out and cut the lock off. BF has now broken the lock open and it was indeed full of superglue and the bike obviously being targeted. So be careful out there and if your lock stops working suddenly be suspicious.
TonyR

Re: Glued locks

Postby MikeF » Sat May 31, 2014 10:36 pm

If the lock is sprayed with WD40/GT85/grease/oil/release agent/etc is the superglue still able to "glue"? In other words is there anything that stops superglue gluing?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master
MikeF

Postby cjchambers » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:07 am

A similar trick is for the thief to apply their own lock then come back later. They may even lock up another (scrapper) bike with the same lock to make it look more like an accidental double locking.

MikeF wrote:In other words is there anything that stops superglue gluing?

Yes. You can buy 'debonders' - the police use them when protesters stick themselves to railings etc. An acetone-containing nail varnish remover* would work too.

*Not all nail varnish removers do contain acetone nowadays, due to the popularity of "solvent-free nail varnish remover" which contains ethyl acetate instead of acetone. Still a solvent really, but less nasty.
cjchambers

Postby Italia50 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:52 pm

I've seen the above scam practiced twice,its a tough one because it can look like a very plausible mistake and the temptation is to come back later or the next day,when youre bike will be gone!
Italia50

Postby axel_knutt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

I keep a junior hacksaw blade in the toolkit.
axel_knutt

Postby Italia50 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:34 pm

The one I saw the U lock had to be cut off with a tungsten angle grinder!! Sparks did fly!!!
Italia50

Postby Tonyf33 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Call the police if someone has glued your lock as it is criminal damage for one thing and if another bike has being 'accidentally' locked to yours same as, it's attempted theft. Nobody accidentally locks their bike to someone elses, the only reason to do so is for something illegitimate.
Tonyf33

Postby Cunobelin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:52 pm

... and of course if someone does ask the thief what they are up to - they can provide absolute proof that someone superglued their bike, the key broke and they are now trying to free it!
Cunobelin

Postby yakdiver » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:25 pm

Tonyf33 wrote:Nobody accidentally locks their bike to someone elses

Sorry but I did once, I was glad I got back before they did :oops:
Alias Numbnuts
yakdiver

Postby geocycle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:04 am

yakdiver wrote:

Yep, happens regularly where I work, always not malicious but very annoying when it happens to you!
geocycle

Postby CliveyT » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 pm

geocycle wrote:
yakdiver wrote:

Yep, happens regularly where I work, always not malicious but very annoying when it happens to you!

It's happened to me several times amongst the tangle of bikes at the railway station- last time it cost me £18 for the taxi ride home
CliveyT

Glued locks

Postby MichVanNic » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:39 pm

I use an old mountain bike for the pub run but only have my decent lock I use normally which begs the question, what do you do if your lock is worth more than your bike?
MichVanNic

Postby Postboxer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:50 pm

When my brother was at school he had his lock stolen but they left his rustbucket bike, I'll never understand why they wanted a lock that they were able to steal.
Postboxer

Postby [XAP]Bob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:26 am

Postboxer wrote:When my brother was at school he had his lock stolen but they left his rustbucket bike, I'll never understand why they wanted a lock that they were able to steal.

To lock up a nice looking bike, then come back in the middle of the night...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

Rode the WWC 2014 Raising money for Bliss. 11 hours 20 (including stops) no pushing.
[XAP]Bob

Postby Vinko » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:29 am

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Postboxer wrote:When my brother was at school he had his lock stolen but they left his rustbucket bike, I'll never understand why they wanted a lock that they were able to steal.

To lock up a nice looking bike, then come back in the middle of the night...

:lol:
Vinko

Next

Return to On the road