Traffic Droid

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AndyBSG

Re: Traffic Droid

Post by AndyBSG »

I was chatting to him at the space for cycling ride last weekend and the main thing I asked him was how long it takes him to charge all of those cameras up!

HJe mentioned that he was going to be on TV soon so will definitely watch that tonight.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Just watched the programme (The Complainers) - Mr Traffic Droid came across as a reasonable guy until the end when he really lost it with a bus driver. He is a bit confrontational but he's certainly a character.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Do we really think this is the way to go?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:Do we really think this is the way to go?

Yes.

To elaborate, not at the OTT level Traffic Droid operates at but if the police took cyclists video's seriously then given the number that ride with cameras it wouldn't take long before most drivers behaved better around us.

We've known for a long time that if people think they're being watched they behave better. Remove that and people 'revert to form' and for most folk that's the sort of nonsense we see on the roads all the time.

Obviously we could 'watch' folk with more police but we both know that isn't going to happen whilst on the other hand this is happening now and is cheap. All it needs is some sort of official recognition.
(And it's not just bikes, more and more vehicles are being equipped with recording systems which imo can't be a bad thing).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Do we really think this is the way to go?

Yes.

To elaborate, not at the OTT level Traffic Droid operates at but if the police took cyclists video's seriously then given the number that ride with cameras it wouldn't take long before most drivers behaved better around us.

We've known for a long time that if people think they're being watched they behave better. Remove that and people 'revert to form' and for most folk that's the sort of nonsense we see on the roads all the time.

Obviously we could 'watch' folk with more police but we both know that isn't going to happen whilst on the other hand this is happening now and is cheap. All it needs is some sort of official recognition.
(And it's not just bikes, more and more vehicles are being equipped with recording systems which imo can't be a bad thing).

I agree,if cameras we're taken seriously,which currently in our neck of the woods and I suspect others necks,aren't.
I picked up yesterday's copy of The Metro in a waiting room this morning Driod had half of page three,my heart sank at the photos of him looking like something out of a comic strip movie.I found myself thinking if I had to ride like that I probably wouldn't bother riding at all.
BTW,I have a head cam(given to me by my SinL) which I've never used.I fitted it to my helmet and was so disturbed by the thought,immediately removed it.
I dare say though if I were commuting in heavy traffic daily I may use one,probably two,one rearward,one forward facing.
That said things aren't getting any better as driving standards plummet and the bullying increases.
Perhaps I've just not reached the turning point yet :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

If you cycle every now and then probably not. I commute every day and would not be without one.
You can spend some serious cash on them but I picked up an HD one from Aldi for £89. Before that I had another Aldi one for about £30 and was very adequate. Recorded number plates no bother.

EVERY DAY I have examples of bad driving but it's so commonplace I just wipe it unless I'm involved in an accident. Plus who are you going to report it to, the police? Good luck with that. Maybe I should start posting to websites that record these things. Get myself a funky user name and ...... become an internet star! Maybe not.

The lawyer I have used recommends all cyclists should wear one. Easier for them to screw the insurance company.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

TrevA wrote:Just watched the programme (The Complainers) - Mr Traffic Droid came across as a reasonable guy until the end when he really lost it with a bus driver. He is a bit confrontational but he's certainly a character.

In true TV documentary style they sensationalised him by selectively using his most confrontational clips. Have a look at his YouTube channel and not all his encounters end like the ones shown on the 'box last night.

What's scary is the TfL team looking at the footage of the bus dangerously undertaking him squeezing between lane 1 and 2 and their only observation was what else was the poor bus driver supposed to do when Droid was in the lane 2, the cheek of him. If that's the level of road use understanding among TfLs managers then God help us.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Buses are good for undertaking. They can carry twelve coffins.

I'll get my coat.