Vote UKIP...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
BeeKeeper

Re: Vote UKIP...

Post by BeeKeeper »

WMarkLancs wrote:Does anyone find it ironic that their biggest push is in the EU elections?

Yes, it's very odd, they are falling over themselves to join an organisation they want to leave! Still, Euro MPs are well paid.
irc

Post by irc »

BeeKeeper wrote:
WMarkLancs wrote:Does anyone find it ironic that their biggest push is in the EU elections?

Yes, it's very odd, they are falling over themselves to join an organisation they want to leave! Still, Euro MPs are well paid.

Nothing new there. The SNP have always stood at Westminster elections.

If someone believes the UK would be better off outwith the EU why should they not have a party to vote for in the Euro elections?
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Agreed, it would be perverse for them NOT to stand
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

original.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I voted UKIP for two reasons.
1. I want us out of the EU and a return to the Common Market.
2. I want to put a bomb under the three main parties.

I don't want UKIP to govern this country, but I will keep voting for them until the other three parties listen.
Mick F. Cornwall
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Mick F wrote:I voted UKIP for two reasons.
1. I want us out of the EU and a return to the Common Market.
2. I want to put a bomb under the three main parties.

I don't want UKIP to govern this country, but I will keep voting for them until the other three parties listen.

But why UKIP and not the somewhat more credible Monster Raving Loony Party?
beardy

Post by beardy »

That is rather obvious.

It is about vote share, UKIP is becoming credible because it now has a significant vote share, MRLP doesnt.

The big two parties have got very complacent about the fact that they "own" their voters and you only have a choice between those two. UKIP are a victory for democracy, finally people have a choice (the difference between Labour and Conservative is hard to spot).

It seems most of the objectors to UKIP just dont like the idea of "the masses" having a different opinion to that which they should have.

UKIP may be the opposite end of the spectrum to my own views but I do have this niggling idea that I should value the nation's democracy above my own political leanings.

If cycling was the over-riding concern when voting, then we should, of course, all be voting Green, especially if in England for the local elections.
As nobody even mentioned the Greens, I guess we all dont actually put cycling first when voting and they know that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Because MRLP have no chance of getting in, at least UKIP stand a chance.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

................ also, if 51% of a constituency vote for one candidate, that candidate gets elected.
The 49% will never have their views considered again until the next election. Meanwhile they are ignored.

UKIP at least is a growing minority and it needs someone like them to kick the Con/Lab/Libs up their complacent bums.
Mick F. Cornwall
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

So what do you think of UKIP's economic policy?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't give a stuff about their economic policies.
I think I heard that Farage said they don't have any policies yet.

They have no chance of forming a government to enact any policies, let alone an economic one.

Their only stated policy, and why they were formed, is to get UK out of the EU.
That'll do me.

Their only place in this world is to pressurise the existing parties into taking notice of what a growing minority are already thinking.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

To be fair any potential domestic policies (the manifesto hasn't yet been released) for the General election in 2015 are irrelevant when considering the Euro or local elections.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

TonyR wrote:So what do you think of UKIP's economic policy?

Do they actually have one? Was it written on the back of a fag packet by Nigel Farage, whilst waiting at the bar to be served his next pint? If it's anything like their (anti) cycling policy, then God help us.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

May I remind you that the OP raised the question of a certain party's attitude towards cycling. That's why it's in On The Road (although Campaigning might have been better).

If this thread has drifted so far off the topic of cycling, as to degenerate into an angry political debate, perhaps it ought to go into the Cafe.

Or be locked. :evil:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

And I agree with Mick. We are not going to have a UKIP government after the next general election. However, if enough people vote for UKIP then the main political parties will have to start acknowledging the concerns people have.