Vote UKIP...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dynamite_funk

Vote UKIP...

Post by Dynamite_funk »

...I dare you!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/r ... party.html

Sorry if this has been posted already :roll:
AlaninWales

Re: Vote UKIP...

Post by AlaninWales »

Or Conservative
"#ealing Only 11% of @Conservatives supporting #space4cycling & just 10% of @EalingLD -must be more of you? http://www.lcc.org.uk/candidates @EalingCC" and then they have Pickles.

Or LibDem
"The Lib Dems, for instance, have made a formal commitment to a pro-cycling policy that includes plans to create a cycling budget of at least £10 per person per year and to oblige local authorities to provide for cyclists in the design of all new roads. But the results on the ground ("No @EnfieldLibDems candidates supporting #space4cycling in #Enfield. Can this be true?") can be quite revealing."

Or Labour
" Labour too has set out an eight-point "manifesto for cycling", which includes a commitment to long-term funding of the infrastructure needed for dedicated separate safe cycling routes. Again, at a local level it appears the political will is sometimes lacking. " Indeed, they had rather a long time in government ISTR, during which investment in cycling facilities ?improved dramatically? (or not).

Just to be balanced like ... :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

AlaninWales wrote:Or LibDem
"The Lib Dems, for instance, have made a formal commitment to a pro-cycling policy that includes plans to create a cycling budget of at least £10 per person per year and to oblige local authorities to provide for cyclists in the design of all new roads. But the results on the ground ("No @EnfieldLibDems candidates supporting #space4cycling in #Enfield. Can this be true?") can be quite revealing."

Would that be the same Lib Dem party where every candidate pledged in writing to vote against any increase in student tuition fees ? And are there any reasons they should be more trustworthy now ?

Ian
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

This is why I'm stuck on who to vote for!!
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Round here the Tories always win. To keep UKIP out I'd have to (tactically) vote Tory. I can't do that so I'll stay at home. Democracy is rubbish anyway if you ask me.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mill4six wrote:Round here the Tories always win. To keep UKIP out I'd have to (tactically) vote Tory. I can't do that so I'll stay at home. Democracy is rubbish anyway if you ask me.

Thought I avoid the rush and went to my polling station in the afternoon. And I was the 3rd person they had seen all day !!

Ian
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Isn't the Euro election more proportional? So it doesn't only matter who wins?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Psamathe wrote:[... Would that be the same Lib Dem party where every candidate pledged in writing to vote against any increase in student tuition fees ? And are there any reasons they should be more trustworthy now ? ...

Before the crash of my long-serving netbook (RIP) I had a pic on it of Clegg holding up a poster with that pledge. Close inspection showed that his fingers were crossed. Only a still photo but it did look as though his lips were moving when it was taken.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

thirdcrank wrote:
Psamathe wrote:[... Would that be the same Lib Dem party where every candidate pledged in writing to vote against any increase in student tuition fees ? And are there any reasons they should be more trustworthy now ? ...

Before the crash of my long-serving netbook (RIP) I had a pic on it of Clegg holding up a poster with that pledge. Close inspection showed that his fingers were crossed. Only a still photo but it did look as though his lips were moving when it was taken.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/11/12/1289592932983/Nick-Clegg-holds-up-the-p-006.jpg

And whilst I'm sure everybody has seen it already, always worth watching again ("The Apology" featuring Nick Clegg) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

Appart from the devastating impact on the education and finances of the nation's children, the thing that really annoys me is that they pledged to vote against any fee increase. The did not pledge that there would be no increases, just that they would vote against them. Yet Clegg starts going on about being unable to implement a promise - the promise was to vote against!

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:Thought I avoid the rush and went to my polling station in the afternoon. And I was the 3rd person they had seen all day !!

We went to our polling station in the morning, about 10am. There being nowhere to lock the bikes (typical!) Mrs P waited outside to keep an eye on the bikes while I went in to vote, then I did the same while she voted. It was actually fairly busy - surprise surprise! The polling station was set in a small church hall, the car park outside was full of drivers jostling for a space, boxing each other in, etc. etc. In our area, no-one lives more than a mile from the polling station, but - there you are, a mile's a mile and it's far too far to walk or even cycle :twisted: . I suppose the motorists were all out to vote for the kippers, after all they're on 'their' side. :(

Sometimes I despair.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Another thing - at the polling station we chanced to meet our former county and town councillor, going in to vote - we know him, he's always been very supportive of cycling measures, and when in office chaired an Environmental Forum which we used to attend. Since unseated, he defected from the Libdems to Labour. I didn't have the heart to tell him, I wasn't planning to vote Labour either....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just take the bikes in...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Just take the bikes in...

My Brommie fitted easily under the poll booth table :)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well, if the kippers ever gain power, they'd make it impossible to cycle anywhere, let alone the polling station, so the question doesn't arise. :evil:
We'd have to leave the country...
WMarkLancs

Post by WMarkLancs »

Does anyone find it ironic that their biggest push is in the EU elections?