Vote UKIP...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby TonyR » Sat May 24, 2014 10:19 pm

irc wrote:Leave the EU? Yes. Then we can control immigration? Sounds good. Works for Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc. Why not?

Trash the environment? In what way?


This country is built on immigration - Romans, French, Angles, Saxons, Indians, Pakistanis, African Asians..... And in Silicon Valley over half the entrepreneurs driving the new economy are immigrants. Here its 27%. Now if you don't want any of that you are going to find it hard for this country to compete in what is now a global world with global mobility.

And as for trashing the environment, UKIP policy is to stop all subsidies for renewable energies and build fossil fuel power generators instead.

Their transport policy is motorist centric and for cyclists they want mandatory registration and third party insurance and the policy says “local authorities should be given additional powers to enforce a ‘cyclists dismount’ or ‘no cycling’ regulation where there are safety concerns – such as on busy roundabouts, junctions or bus lanes, or where the road would be too narrowed by cycle lanes and cause unacceptable delays to traffic.” A proposal to which my response is "On yer bike UKIP !"
TonyR
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby TonyR » Sat May 24, 2014 10:28 pm

P.S. The UKIP response to the Cambridge Cycling Campaign, just so you know what you are voting for, was:

Provision for cyclists is already adequate. Please remember that motorists are the people who pay to use the roads whereas cyclists are “freeloaders”. They are entitled to use the roads but not disproportionately.


These are the people you have just voted onto your councils to look after our roads. Still think it was a good idea?
TonyR
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Trigger » Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Kippers think being out of the EU would make Britain like the imaginary Britain of the 50s, all quaint and world beating at everything, where as in reality we'd probably just end up in a terrible financial mess (yes, a bigger one).

Britannia doesn't rule the waves any longer chaps, and despite what toady Nige says, it won't if we leave the EU either.
User avatar
Trigger
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Derby/Notts

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby al_yrpal » Sat May 24, 2014 10:39 pm

I think several people are ascribing all sorts of daft things to UKIP voters that are not on their agenda. And, misunderstanding words and phrases. I suggest y'all relax, space out and listen to the Eagles man, they're on BBC right now!

Al. :D
I'm getting a Pono! And... My current jam http://www.thisismyjam.com/alyrpal/_5syk5x6
al_yrpal
 
Posts: 2956
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Chilterns, the bit the gubment havent concreted over (yet) although they are trying..

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby TonyR » Sat May 24, 2014 10:50 pm

al_yrpal wrote:I suggest y'all relax, space out and listen to the Eagles man, they're on BBC right now!


What!!!! Listen to that nasty foreign music taking the jobs of our poor British musicians on British radio? :wink:
TonyR
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Psamathe » Sat May 24, 2014 11:00 pm

TonyR wrote:This country is built on immigration - Romans, French, Angles, Saxons, Indians, Pakistanis, African Asians.....

And the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha's. So what would happen to them if UKIP got in?

Ian
Psamathe
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Mick F » Sun May 25, 2014 7:51 am

TonyR wrote:Be careful what you vote for.
That is the exact point in a nutshell.

How can you be careful when there's no choice?
Mick F. Cornwall
User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
 
Posts: 29306
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:24 am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby kwackers » Sun May 25, 2014 8:30 am

Mick F wrote:
TonyR wrote:Be careful what you vote for.
That is the exact point in a nutshell.

How can you be careful when there's no choice?

There is a choice, you made it.
kwackers
 
Posts: 8616
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Warrington

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby TonyR » Sun May 25, 2014 10:27 am

Mick F wrote:
TonyR wrote:Be careful what you vote for.
That is the exact point in a nutshell.

How can you be careful when there's no choice?


There is a choice and you chose to vote for the party that thinks cyclists have no place on the roads. Or did those rotters Clegg, Cameron and Milliband make you do it?
TonyR
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Psamathe » Sun May 25, 2014 10:43 am

TonyR wrote:
Mick F wrote:
TonyR wrote:Be careful what you vote for.
That is the exact point in a nutshell.

How can you be careful when there's no choice?


There is a choice and you chose to vote for the party that thinks cyclists have no place on the roads. Or did those rotters Clegg, Cameron and Milliband make you do it?

The trouble is that there are many other issues than cyclists having any place on the roads. And we get little more than one vote every 5 years. And all the parties have some really bad ideas as well as some better ideas. Yet all these really bad and few good ideas are bundled-up so if we each counted a score based on the bad vs good plans, for many, all parties would come out with pretty much the same score.

And even based on what they say to get your votes, how much can you trust them to actually keep their word. e.g. "No top down reorganisation of the NHS", "Vote against any increase in tuition fees", etc.

So whilst technically one does have a choice, in practice it is more of a "chose between having six or half a dozen" (and you will probably only be given 3 whichever you chose anyway).

Ian
Psamathe
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby reohn2 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:47 am

Mick F wrote:
TonyR wrote:Be careful what you vote for.
That is the exact point in a nutshell.

How can you be careful when there's no choice?


My protest vote in the last general election was to vote LibDem in the belief that it would show NewLabour(I hesitate to call it the Labour Party because it isn't)that I wasn't satisfied and that if the worst came to the worst a coalition would be between the two.
Look what we got :?
At least we now know just how much of their soul the LibDems were willing to sell for power.

As for UKIP I couldn't stoop so low even in protest to vote for something that is completely opposed to everything I believe in.
TBH IMO the UK has never been in a worse state than at present in my lifetime,with little prospect of improvement,it is utterly depressing.
Be very careful who you vote for indeed,a monster such as UKIP is capable of even worse destruction than the incompetent bunch of self seeking,self nest feathering creeps currently in the driving seat.
Nothing but a complete rethink that includes a form PR of this so called democracy will serve the people,FPTP doesn't and has been now proved to be the case time and again.
Just my 2d's worth.
The drying leaves begin to speak of summers end,
in preparation for golden days
All too soon the swallows will turn south for warmer climes
and another phase of endlessness begins......
reohn2
 
Posts: 15109
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Lowton,smack dab between Liverpool and Manchester

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby TonyR » Sun May 25, 2014 11:04 am

Psamathe wrote:The trouble is that there are many other issues than cyclists having any place on the roads. And we get little more than one vote every 5 years. And all the parties have some really bad ideas as well as some better ideas. Yet all these really bad and few good ideas are bundled-up so if we each counted a score based on the bad vs good plans, for many, all parties would come out with pretty much the same score.

And even based on what they say to get your votes, how much can you trust them to actually keep their word. e.g. "No top down reorganisation of the NHS", "Vote against any increase in tuition fees", etc.

So whilst technically one does have a choice, in practice it is more of a "chose between having six or half a dozen" (and you will probably only be given 3 whichever you chose anyway).

Ian


So what are the other policy aspects of UKIP that make them so compelling that you had no choice but to vote for them and their "freeloader cyclists; motorists paid for the roads" policy? Was it the policy that our economy can have massive public spending that we somehow don't have to pay for with taxes? Was it the policy that we don't need renewable energy and should just burn more fossil fuel? Or perhaps its their policies to ban gay marriages and go back to having grammar schools. Or was it the over-riding Little England can pull up the drawbridge and it will all go back to those halcyon days before the foreigners messed it all up?
TonyR
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby Psamathe » Sun May 25, 2014 11:20 am

TonyR wrote:
Psamathe wrote:The trouble is that there are many other issues than cyclists having any place on the roads. And we get little more than one vote every 5 years. And all the parties have some really bad ideas as well as some better ideas. Yet all these really bad and few good ideas are bundled-up so if we each counted a score based on the bad vs good plans, for many, all parties would come out with pretty much the same score.

And even based on what they say to get your votes, how much can you trust them to actually keep their word. e.g. "No top down reorganisation of the NHS", "Vote against any increase in tuition fees", etc.

So whilst technically one does have a choice, in practice it is more of a "chose between having six or half a dozen" (and you will probably only be given 3 whichever you chose anyway).

Ian


So what are the other policy aspects of UKIP that make them so compelling that you had no choice but to vote for them and their "freeloader cyclists; motorists paid for the roads" policy? Was it the policy that our economy can have massive public spending that we somehow don't have to pay for with taxes? Was it the policy that we don't need renewable energy and should just burn more fossil fuel? Or perhaps its their policies to ban gay marriages and go back to having grammar schools. Or was it the over-riding Little England can pull up the drawbridge and it will all go back to those halcyon days before the foreigners messed it all up?

Actually I didn't vote for UKIP. But my point was to clarify the "little choice" point people had been raising. I feel I had little choice but to vote for the party I did (EU elections only; and it was not UKIP). But everybody has different priorities. IF the UK leaving the EU is very important to somebody, then they may not trust the Conservatives (given how they have promised a referendum before and failed to then have one). I don't think anybody voting for a person/party agrees with all their policies. Different policies will be more important than others to different people. And I suspect many will not feel well disposed to the current main 3 (given the failings, let-downs, broken promises, etc they have all been guilty of in recent years). And where some policies are important to somebody I can appreciate how choice becomes limited.

Ian
Psamathe
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby TonyR » Sun May 25, 2014 12:04 pm

Psamathe wrote:Actually I didn't vote for UKIP. But my point was to clarify the "little choice" point people had been raising. I feel I had little choice but to vote for the party I did (EU elections only; and it was not UKIP). But everybody has different priorities. IF the UK leaving the EU is very important to somebody, then they may not trust the Conservatives (given how they have promised a referendum before and failed to then have one). I don't think anybody voting for a person/party agrees with all their policies. Different policies will be more important than others to different people. And I suspect many will not feel well disposed to the current main 3 (given the failings, let-downs, broken promises, etc they have all been guilty of in recent years). And where some policies are important to somebody I can appreciate how choice becomes limited.


I appreciate the difficulties of making a choice and the need in some to give the three main parties one in the eye. But do those here who did vote UKIP really understand what they were voting for and that they were voting for people that want to make cyclists second class citizens on the roads who have to get off and walk when there's a junction or narrow road? If you're prepared to vote like that you might as well vote for the BNP - they want out of Europe too and as long as they are offering that what the rest of their policies are doesn't really matter no matter how objectionable.

It can all be done on the basis they don't stand a chance of getting into Government but remember what happened in Austria with Mr Haider and the Freedom Party. These presumed toothless organisations can have a habit of turning round and biting you.
TonyR
 
Posts: 2662
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 pm

Re: Vote UKIP...

Postby jezer » Sun May 25, 2014 12:58 pm

I'll make no secret of it, I voted Lib Dem in the European elections simply to send a message that I support being part of the EU. Next year, if any major party tries to cosy up to the UKIP racist bigots they will not get my vote. Quite apart from UKIP's potty cycling policy, most of their remaining manifesto is infantile to say the least :shock:
Power to the pedals
User avatar
jezer
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:16 pm
Location: North Wiltshire

PreviousNext

Return to On the road

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rfryer, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests