Thirst Whilst Cycling

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Thirst Whilst Cycling

Post by Psamathe »

Or rather maybe lack of it.

I know full well of the need to keep hydrated, etc., but now the weather has warmed-up a bit, the last few days I've noticed whilst out riding that I don't seem to get thirsty. I've reduced my mileage (thanks to my knees) and am doing around 25 mile rides. I'm deliberately stopping after 10 miles or so because I know I should drink, not because I'm thirsty. And that seems to start "saliva issues" (see, we really do need a "men's section" on the forum to discuss spitting, and other similar subjects). And the surprise when I got home was I has several large glasses of squash straight after each other, yet never really felt thirsty.

So, as things warm-up, should I just stop and drink every so many miles'ish or just wait until I'm thirsty ? Do others get to feel thirsty or just get in the habit of drinking?

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Re: Thirst Whilst Cycling

Post by [XAP]Bob »

IIRC the feeling of thirst is a relatively poor indicator of dehydration.

Hmm - Various sources disagree on that. I'd suggest that during exercise it might not be enough - but that you have to be going for well over an hour to make much difference (obviously that won't apply in the sahara...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Normally I can go for fifty miles without stopping for a drink or anything to eat.
However, my 62mile yesterday was in 23degC heat, and I got through both bottles and no food other than the huge Full English before I left.

I only seem to need to drink if I sweat. My ride up to Manchester - 300miles in four days - I hardly drank anything. It was chilly and wet, and I didn't sweat at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

I suffer from serious dry mouth, so I just take regular sips from the bottle, not huge gulps as it's not thirst it's just to get rid of the feeling of having a mouth like Gandhi's flip flop.
jezer

Post by jezer »

The old adage was to always drink before you get thirsty and to eat before you get hungry. After a long ride I find I'm not hungry, despite burning lots of calories. But after about thirty minutes of getting home I'm ravenous :shock:
Power to the pedals
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

A good sign of dehydration is urine colour,if it's very darkly coloured,'thick' and burns slightly you've not been drinking enough.
I find little and often is best whether I'm thirsty or not I drink when cycling (or indeed when doing any physical activity)by habit and I'd rather drink a little too much than not enough.Last Friday 65miles,18 to 20deg 1.5l of water and one large coffee :)

I'd suggest that MickF's hydration regime is not the norm IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I would agree with that.
I'm not normal, but no-one is normal anyway. :D

I'm off to Swindon tomorrow. 80odd miles and the weather is supposed to be changing and cooler. I'll get back to this thread after I get there and report back about the water I've drunk.

I only have two 500ml bottles with me and I'll leave at 8ish expecting to get to Swindon at around 4pm.
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Little and often is rule I use when it comes to drinking on the bike, I've got my Garmin set up for an alert at every 3.1miles, or 5k in old money. Some rides I'll have a mouthful of squash more often but do drink every 12-13 minutes.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here's my report.

83 miles Bedford to Swindon. Left at 08:00, arrived at 14:30
I had two sausages and a portion of beans plus two mugs of tea for breakfast.

After 30 miles, I stopped and stretched, and drank a good swig of water.
At 54 miles I was in Bladon (somewhere north of Oxford?) and stopped at a Co-op and bought some egg and cress sandwiches - £1.60 - and drank another swig or two of water.

70 miles and another swig, and as I arrived in Swindon, the heavens opened so I sheltered in a bus shelter. Meanwhile I finished the bottle off and ate the last two of my flapjacks.

Water drank 500ml and never touched the second bottle.
Temps were max 20 and min 17 deg C.

At present, I'm tucking into a plate of chicken and chips, plus on my third beer.
Mick F. Cornwall
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

How big are your mugs of tea?

What colour was your..... I think we'll leave it there. Sounds like you set off well hydrated then started rehydrating some more whilst filing this report.

Last ride I did was about 30 miles and rushed out forgetting my nice ice cold water bottles, started getting rather thirsty before I got back. I did have cash with me though so could have stopped to buy something.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I'm getting older, my bladder seems to be shrinking. Each time I stopped, I needed a P.
Also, it's always and clear and pale.

Today was a good test.
I made a mental note of the facts, so I could report accurately.

I never stopped at all for the whole of the first 30 miles, and until I stopped, my water was untouched. I only finished it off less than two miles from the finish. The second bottle remains untouched.

The ride was easy, and the weather nice and cool.
I didn't get out of breath or heave and strain. Most of the time I was nose breathing. I never broke into a sweat.

Therefore, why would I need water?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:.............. why would I need water?

I have to agree and if your urine was clear and pale it's a good sign that you're well hydrated.
BTW that was a good average for 83miles towing a trailer.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, it was a good average, but it was as flat as a pancake.

Once you get the weight moving, it just rolls along with no more effort than if you had no weight at all. The technique is not to rush at it. Take your time and build up the momentum.
Mick F. Cornwall
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Wanting to pee often is a sign of dehydration. Sound bizarre but its true. You can get used to surviving on less water and may come to think this state is normal for you. It isn't. Kidney stones could be the wake up call.

I've been cycling in Spain over the last two weeks and on average got through about 1.5 litres of water per day on the rides plus a shade more for coffees/juice stops plus in the evening and overnight would get through at least another litre, sometime one and a half. Temps here have been single figures in the morning up to mid twenties in the afternoon. Total for an average day therefore around 3 litres.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

Everything I’ve read says drinking plenty of water is good for you, and in ways as diverse as improving skin tone, increasing physical performance, and aiding concentration.

Perhaps that’s why it feels (to me at least) very pleasant to drink a glass of cool water. I do it regularly throughout the day, and not only when I feel distinct thirst. I probably have between two and three litres of liquids a day (mostly water), not counting additional intake while exercising.

On the other hand, I am not paranoid about occasionally getting a bit thirsty while out and about. There are people who duck into the nearest shop for a bottle of Evian at the first hint of thirst (some have good medical reasons, of course). And there are cyclists who imagine their legs will seize up instantly if their bottle runs dry. Thirst may be fatal for a racer’s chances, but it has little effect beyond mild discomfort on a normal bike ride – and as long as you typically keep well hydrated, I doubt the occasional bout of thirst does much harm.