BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Postboxer

Re: BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Post by Postboxer »

Did it have a cycle rack on it? Or did the driver have some other way of getting into and out of the van? That's a truly despicable sticker.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Not strictly relevant, but I saw a small white van today with a sign on the back "Limited to 70mph" :lol:

It was too small to be likely to have a governor, so it was probably a statement of principle.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

My daughter drives a little Peugeot van, no bigger than a car, that is restricted to 70mph, I assume the council put some form of restrictor in them.
julianm

Post by julianm »

Hey Dynamite - I used to timetrial on that stretch of the A1 ....
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Dynamite_funk wrote:The biggest and best one yet on the back of a Sainsbury's LGV. Seriously? :roll:

I think it said something like, 'Alert today, alive tomorrow!' !!

Come on CTC, get this sorted!

Please tell me that the passenger took that pic when passing, not the driver, seeing as the angle appears to be from right of the lane centre... :?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Rather than start a new thread about a closely related example I'm continuing the existing thread).

The other day I say a lorry with the warning
Example A.jpg

And I took a bit of an exception to the "Stay alert ... stay alive". Struck me as a bit of "victim blaming" or placing the responsibility for not getting crushed by a lorry onto the cyclist rather than the driver.

So I e-mailed the company concerned explaining my offence at their sign, how there is technology available to allow the driver far better visibility (and that if they wish to be responsible they should fit such technology), etc., etc.

Got a reply and seems they had already got the message and are changing the signage on their fleet to
Lorry Signage 1 small.jpg

and
Lorry Signage 2.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:Got a reply and seems they had already got the message and are changing the signage on their fleet to

Yes, quite a few co-op members in Norfolk/Cambridgeshire messaged them to express our displeasure at the first attempt! The co-ops have responded rather better than several of their competitors who are still using the "Cyclists - [rude word removed] off out of our way and it's your own silly fault if you don't" style.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Got a reply and seems they had already got the message and are changing the signage on their fleet to

Yes, quite a few co-op members in Norfolk/Cambridgeshire messaged them to express our displeasure at the first attempt! The co-ops have responded rather better than several of their competitors who are still using the "Cyclists - <i>[rude word removed]</i> off out of our way and it's your own silly fault if you don't" style.

Their reply also said
We’ve recently installed new safety features on to 2,500 delivery vehicles including reversing cameras, blind spot cameras and high visibility extended side guards. We also regularly hold sessions with our drivers to increase their awareness of vulnerable road users.

(n.b. I did ask them about posting their photos of their new signage before posting them here and they were fine with it "Yes, it’s fine to share this on the forum – the new signage is already on our vehicles").

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

Police car parked outside work the other day.....left side of rear window had a sign in...."cyclists" in big letters and something written under that that i couldnt read until i got closer. Im all ready to get annoyed at signs saying you cant filter past a car on the left....only to be delighted as i got nearer and read the second bit: "are awesome".
RickH

Post by RickH »

Si wrote:Police car parked outside work the other day.....left side of rear window had a sign in...."cyclists" in big letters and something written under that that i couldnt read until i got closer. Im all ready to get annoyed at signs saying you cant filter past a car on the left....only to be delighted as i got nearer and read the second bit: "are awesome".

That reminds me - I must replace the "Cyclists Stay awesome" sticker on the back of our car. The old one is getting a bit faded & tatty & I've still got a few spares (freebies with a t-shirt - Road.cc still seem to be doing both the t-shirts - including a £5 donation to the Cyclists' Defence Fund - & stickers).

Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tonyf33 wrote:Can we not just slap 'ours' over the top of 'theirs' whilst waiting in traffic..I'd hazard 99% of them wouldn't be noticed for a decent amount of time :mrgreen:

+1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Glad to see the co-op setting a good example on both signage and safety equipment on their lorries. Well done.
Username

Post by Username »

Flinders wrote:I saw that last week on one. I was driving at the time, and ironically, I noticed it partly because of the poor driving of the van's driver..........
I think it is very offensive.

Why is it offensive? I fail to see why I should, as a cyclist, get pissed off about a sign on the back of a van saying "cyclists stay back". Sounds reasonable enough for me to give work vehicles a wide berth. Any vehicles for that matter. Don't artics have similar signs?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I reckon that these various stay back type signs could work against the drivers in any court case, they are admitting that their standard of driving normally falls below safe expectation.

They might as well say that and done - 'crappy driver, beware' would be a more appropriate use of sign resource.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Humm Those signs that say 'Baby on Board'... most of the time there is only the driver in there. :shock:

foxyrider wrote: they are admitting that their standard of driving normally falls below safe expectation.

Or that they think the driving of others is less than theirs.

I still like the Dutch safety expert who replied to the question "What is the best safety device you can fit to a motor vehicle?" with "A stick of dynamite taped across the front steering wheel." The reasoning is that the driver is then made vulnerable to their actions and those of others, so takes good care.