BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GrumpyGit

Re: BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Post by GrumpyGit »

Surely all we need is a matching sticker that reads "Because I don't look in my mirrors" to place underneath the offending item whenever we see one?

They may start to get the message eventually.
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

GrumpyGit wrote:Image

Surely all we need is a matching sticker that reads "Because I don't look in my mirrors" to place underneath the offending item whenever we see one?

They may start to get the message eventually.

Excellent. I'd buy some and carry them around (though much of my cycling is rural and I've only really seen the stickers when I'm in my car).

Although maybe extent the update wording to "Driver liable to manoeuvre without looking or signalling".

But I bet there is some law we would be breaking sticking something on these vehicles.

Ian
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

These are the ones my employers have chosen to use. The wording is slightly less aggressive but I still don't like the message.

image.jpg
image.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

They only appear on our LGVs (18t and over).
RickH

Post by RickH »

Chiz wrote:These are the ones my employers have chosen to use. The wording is slightly less aggressive but I still don't like the message.

They only appear on our LGVs (18t and over).

I think pretty much all cyclists would prefer to go round the outside rather than through the inside! :D

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

If I could avoid going inside them myself, I would.

It's worth noting that these stickers just appeared one day but weren't accompanied with any kind of training or even a 'refresher' style briefing. I'd like to think our drivers don't need reminding to look out for vulnerable road users but extra training never did any driver harm.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I wonder if these vehicles have stickers inside the cabs prominently displayed (e.g. on steering wheel) saying "Watch Out For Cyclists Inside").

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Am I right in assuming that cycle lanes on the left of the road are no longer being built by TfL. Particularly feeder cycle lanes to ASLs. Because when the lights are red and you want to get to the ASL you have to use the feeder cycle lane which means passing stationary traffic (incl. lorries) on their inside. Personally I generally don't use ASLs particularly not the short feeder lanes to get to them, prefering to stay out in the middle of the lane with vehicles in front and behind so you know the guy behind has seen you. But that these feeder lanes exist suggests e.g. TfL intend cyclists to use them.

Ian
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

Psamathe wrote:I wonder if these vehicles have stickers inside the cabs prominently displayed (e.g. on steering wheel) saying "Watch Out For Cyclists Inside").

Ian

Ours don't, although it's something I'm going to bring up at the next transport meeting. Such stickers do exist, I think the AA put their name to them.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Chiz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I wonder if these vehicles have stickers inside the cabs prominently displayed (e.g. on steering wheel) saying "Watch Out For Cyclists Inside").

Ian

Ours don't, although it's something I'm going to bring up at the next transport meeting. Such stickers do exist, I think the AA put their name to them.

A bit off-topic butI was unconvinced by the AA ones - at least the AA ones I'm remembering were small stickers on the wing mirrors. Somehow I thought that if the driver looked in their wing mirrors they were a decent way towards remembering to look for things there. It would be more the reminder to look in the left wing mirror at all.

(When I was younger, not all cars even had a right wing mirror).

Ian
Chiz

Post by Chiz »

Those are the ones I had in mind, although I'll look for alternatives now.

You make a good point about the AA stickers being in the wrong place, if a driver sees the sticker on the wing mirror then he/she is already looking in the right place.

I'm thinking perhaps something hi-vis at passenger door handle height, operators are restricted as to what they can stick in windscreens.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

TfL have now responded to the Road Danger Reduction Forum's complaint on these things.

http://rdrf.org.uk/2014/05/30/transport ... d-cycling/

Shameful reply.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ArMoRothair wrote:TfL have now responded to the Road Danger Reduction Forum's complaint on these things.

Shameful reply.

+1

Ian
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Rob Sowerby's letter in the postscript is very worrying:-

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Saw one of these stickers on a National Express coach.

I've decided that I am going to personally blacklist companies that use such stickers(as far as possible). So, particularly after last week when I was given excellent clearance by a CTS Buildbase lorry, my business has now switched from Travis Perkins (who feel the need to blame cyclists) to CTS Buildbase. And I will be telling Travis Perkins why I am no longer using them and will be telling CTS Buildbase why I am using them (switching from Travis Perkins).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ArMoRothair wrote:Rob Sowerby's letter in the postscript is very worrying:-

The aspect of drivers of vehicles bearing these stickers feeling they have "rights" over cyclists is a very worrying aspect to their widespread adoption. And I can appreciate how it might happen. I think the various cycling bodies (including CTC) need to start something of a campaign against these stickers urgently. They are appearing in widespread use all over the country (I assume because we seem to have quite a lot out in East Anglia on local vehicles). And it does suggest a "right for driver" - the tone "reminding" cyclists that they should not pass such vehicles.

Ian