BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

Re: BT Openreach cyclists stay back

Postby Flinders » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Postboxer wrote:I saw a National Express coach the other day that had a sticker with a picture of a bike and a message something like, 'Caution, this vehicle has blind spots' - seemed fairish.

That seems reasonable, as it warns of a genuine problem rather than being aggressive and unhelpful as the 'stay back' one does.
Flinders

Postby [XAP]Bob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Flinders wrote:
Postboxer wrote:I saw a National Express coach the other day that had a sticker with a picture of a bike and a message something like, 'Caution, this vehicle has blind spots' - seemed fairish.

That seems reasonable, as it warns of a genuine problem rather than being aggressive and unhelpful as the 'stay back' one does.

Yes - although a non articulated vehicle shouldn't have blind spots, how hard can it be to have the required mirrors?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way.
No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
A good pun is it's own reword

[XAP]Bob

Postby Flinders » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:38 pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Flinders wrote:

Yes - although a non articulated vehicle shouldn't have blind spots, how hard can it be to have the required mirrors?

Fair enough. I hadn't realised that visibility problems unsolvable by mirrors were limited to artics.
Flinders

Postby Chiz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Sorry to revive an old topic, the last of these stickers arrived this morning.

Here's my contribution.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Chiz

Postby [XAP]Bob » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Chiz wrote:Sorry to revive an old topic, the last of these stickers arrived this morning.

Here's my contribution.

Hmm - These are a little small, but awesome all the same - Presume available from road.cc?

[XAP]Bob

Postby Chiz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:35 pm

The top one is from road.cc, they did have a few different sizes at first but most have sold out, they had a few size A5 left at last check. Actually A5 isn't too far from the size of the 'stay back' ones that have appeared on trucks and buses round these parts.

The bottom one is from a limited batch that appeared on eBay a few weeks ago. I've had a quick look and there's no sign of any more.
Chiz

Postby BeeKeeper » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:13 pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Flinders wrote:

A bus would need more than mirrors to eliminate all blind spots, it would also need a reversing camera, probably one mounted high up looking downwards. The camera also really needs to have some sort of lens washing mechanism as well as they can get obscured by road muck. Do buses all have suitable reversing cameras?

There is the other sticker you see on the back of trucks; If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you". This is very true and always worth bearing in mind. I think I mentioned this earlier about being tail-gated by a cyclist down a Devon lane in my campervan.
BeeKeeper

Postby [XAP]Bob » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Agree, but buses very rarely reverse along city roads....
To their sides ther need be no blindspots. Various busses around here have rear facing cameras.

[XAP]Bob

Postby Richard D » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:04 pm

My sticker's been on the back of the car for a few weeks now. It' seen spotted by at least two cyclists, who were out taking down the signs for an event that they'd run the day before. The first reaction was "why does a car need one of those stupid 'stay back' stickers?" Then they noticed the slight change of wording :)
Richard D

Postby Cusqueno » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:08 pm

ArMoRothair wrote:Good news from today http://www.lfgss.com/post4304160-146.html

But, after more than a month, nothing seems to have been done - London buses are still (all) carrying the sticker.
Cusqueno

Postby Psamathe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 pm

Cusqueno wrote:
ArMoRothair wrote:Good news from today http://www.lfgss.com/post4304160-146.html

But, after more than a month, nothing seems to have been done - London buses are still (all) carrying the sticker.

I saw a Virgin Cable van with one on the other day. I feel they are becoming more widespread not less as TfL said.

Ian
Psamathe

Postby Tonyf33 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Can we not just slap 'ours' over the top of 'theirs' whilst waiting in traffic..I'd hazard 99% of them wouldn't be noticed for a decent amount of time :mrgreen:
Tonyf33

Postby Cusqueno » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Recently in London I've seen several goods and service vehicles with large FORS stickers on the back - Fleet Operators Recognition Scheme. This is sponsored by TfL and, judging from the website http://www.fors-online.org.uk/index.php?page=P_LANDING, it seems to have many good points - see a cycle safety initiative between Lambeth Council and Veolia for instance http://www.fors-online.org.uk/index.php?page=CS_VEOLIA

BUT (there has to be a but doesn't there?) all of the FORS vehicles, even relatively short light trucks, were carrying 'Cyclists Stay Back' stickers.
Cusqueno

Postby Dynamite_funk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:36 am

The biggest and best one yet on the back of a Sainsbury's LGV. Seriously? :roll:

I think it said something like, 'Alert today, alive tomorrow!' !!

Come on CTC, get this sorted!
Attachments
IMG-20141007-00075.jpg
Dynamite_funk

Previous

Return to On the road