Cycling in restaurants?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gaz

Cycling in restaurants?

Post by gaz »

From time to time the discussion on threads strays to why we are not allowed to cycle in particular spots.

Most common perhaps are the pavements at the end of shared use paths that are identical in every respect bar the little blue signs to the shared use path itself. These are closely followed by the stretches of pavement between the carriageway and the cycle racks. Rural footpaths that join bridleways to the road network. Motorways are also part of this spectrum.

Recently I discovered this one.
DSCN0183.JPG

Is anyone aware of a restaurant that allows cycling inside the premises.

In all honesty there is a very valid and genuine reason for the sign and yes, it really is no cycling in the restaurant :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
GrumpyGit

Re: Cycling in restaurants?

Post by GrumpyGit »

Does the McDonalds drive through count?
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Its more nuanced than that. It says "No Cycling on the Dawes"

IGMC :wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

:D

GrumpyGit wrote:Does the McDonalds drive through count?

You may very well be able to ride through, but they won't serve you: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=77993
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I'm not really bothered by NO CYCLING signs directly in front of a set of cycle racks. After all, if you're going to use the rack, you're going to get off sometime, no? This is a set in our local shopping centre, so I use it a lot of the time.
church walk.jpg

What bothers me more, is that the defunct bookshop in the picture, and the empty shopfront next to it, have since been knocked together and turned into a pub (OK: 'pub/restaurant' - name is a combination of atmospheric conditions plus items of cutlery :roll: ). And the pub now wants to extend out into a pavement cafe spilling across the pedestrian area. What's that going to do for our precious cycle racks - and the security of any bikes locked thereat? I've lodged an objection to their planning application, but doubt if it will carry any weight...

Incidentally, the sinister-looking bloke walking towards the camera is not me...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I once watched an argument at the door of Tesco between the security guard and a kid who wanted to ride one of these round the shop. :lol:
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Fareham have a "cycle in" Tesco:

boliston

Post by boliston »

i suspect that whoever put it up looked at it quickly thinking it was a big "no smoking" sign (as they both start with no___ and end with ___ing) and just stuck it on the window without thinking. The actual graphic looks very similar to the other smaller signs.
mjr

Post by mjr »

There was a ride through Bella Pasta in Cambridge until it decided to try to expand and go legit http://www.cyclescape.org/threads/1344
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

boliston wrote:i suspect that whoever put it up looked at it quickly thinking it was a big "no smoking" sign (as they both start with no___ and end with ___ing) and just stuck it on the window without thinking. The actual graphic looks very similar to the other smaller signs.

Cycles are often wheeled inside the restaurant. One went in a few moments before I took that pic, in fact I held the door open to make it easier.

I don't know if the sign went up because somebody did ride inside the restaurant or if it was a sort of pre-emptive strike based on a risk assessment.

Given Cunobelin's Tesco example it may be time to mount a challenge :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There's a long-established Italian restaurant in Headingley, Leeds called Salvo's.

http://www.salvos.co.uk/?gclid=CNuM9rDI ... tAodinQA1Q

I was waiting outside on Grandad's taxi duty recently when a senior member emerged from the staff entrance on a carbon fibre confection with the full Campag gruppo togged out in Assos, who briskyl road off up the road. Of course, I don't know what attitude they might have to Shimano or even Sturmey.....
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

gaz wrote::D

GrumpyGit wrote:Does the McDonalds drive through count?

You may very well be able to ride through, but they won't serve you: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=77993

That's not very friendly of them!
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
recumbentpanda

Post by recumbentpanda »

gaz

Post by gaz »

Yes, I think you probably do.