Had a chat with the Google Streetview man

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
c0d3x42

Re: Had a chat with the Google Streetview man

Post by c0d3x42 »

Psamathe wrote:I did hear a rumour (in the days when my poor feet allowed me to go longer distance walking) that Google were also now sending out walkers with special backpacks covering/photographing off-road paths (at least in the US and the more established official routes). Packs with a post sticking up with cameras at the top.

Ian

The first time i heard about this was shortly after the last Bond film "Skyfall", Google did the virtual tour of the island using streetview.

http://google-latlong.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/take-stroll-through-abandoned.html
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I've recently discovered that google also allow users to create their own streetviews and upload them http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.co ... chool-run/ you can use an Android app to create the views - very handy!
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'm extremely ****** off with Streetview and EU privacy laws just now. Their algorithm that blurs car number-plates has been applied so aggressively that it blurs out most of the town names and direction signs in France. When you're planning a coast-to-coast ride this is damnably inconvenient.

One good thing about it, though. If your routing prog takes you over a road that's probably impassable to a road bike, then the Streetview man hasn't been there either.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Audax67 wrote:I'm extremely ****** off with Streetview and EU privacy laws just now. Their algorithm that blurs car number-plates has been applied so aggressively that it blurs out most of the town names and direction signs in France. When you're planning a coast-to-coast ride this is damnably inconvenient.

One good thing about it, though. If your routing prog takes you over a road that's probably impassable to a road bike, then the Streetview man hasn't been there either.

Indeed, I do find a good way to find routes by road bike is to zoom out a bit and lift the pegman to see where the blue lines go!
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote:Crossed paths with a google car yesterday. I must remember to take a look in a few months time to see if he got me.

661-Pete wrote:How long does it take to go online, anyone know?

About three months in these parts, although for reasons unknown I have since been edited out. :?

Although Mr Google has found me again since, five month turn around this time.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade