Cat saves boy on bike from vicious dog!!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
james01

Cat saves boy on bike from vicious dog!!

Post by james01 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27428819

I'm now going to have a word in our Moggy's ear about a couple of local pooches who need sorting out
reohn2

Re: Cat saves boy on bike from vicious dog!!

Post by reohn2 »

Although a serious attack by the dog,which was completely unprovoked :twisted: .
It's a nice story too and seems the cat was protecting a perceived sibling or adopted son :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:It's a nice story too and seems the cat was protecting a perceived sibling or adopted son :)

I'm not so sure, I think we want to believe that but in my experience cats are quite happy to sit and watch you get eaten.
They're just not social animals and don't form a society in that way. I reckon the simplest and most likely explanation is the cat didn't like dogs and the dog was on it's territory.

Our old cat used to walk at any dogs that infringed its territory sideways, back arched and hissing like a steam train. It wasn't a small cat either.
A guy used to walk his alsatian past our house and as it approached it used to cross over to pass the house and cross back once it was clear. I never saw the cat 'chase' a dog though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:I'm not so sure, I think we want to believe that but in my experience cats are quite happy to sit and watch you get eaten.

But it didn't do any posturing/warning which is the first reaction by cats to intruders on their patch which give the offender chance to retreat,it's got to be remembered that animals will do anything to ward off a fight as they're all too aware of the consequences,that cat was straight in,in the same way you or I would be if our children or partner were attacked,
IMO it was defending and it may even see the child as it's property/turf.
They're just not social animals and don't form a society in that way.

In their natural environment perhaps not but a pet isn't,it lives a completely different lifestyle and is looked after and treated differently,who knows how it sees itself in the order of the household.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

And the precursor footage makes it abundantly clear also that the little boy wasn't entering the dog's territory or being a threat in any way either.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Dogs have owners, cats have servants. It has always been so, and cats will keep it that way...

Protection of ones servants is important.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jan19

Post by jan19 »

Although a serious attack by the dog,which was completely unprovoked .
It's a nice story too and seems the cat was protecting a perceived sibling or adopted son

That's my understanding too - the cat is apparently particularly attached to this boy and probably regards him as "hers". The fact (as has been pointed out) that she didn't hesitate to take the dog on (and then continued to chase it) suggests a degree of "ownership" you don't normally expect from a cat.

However, they do all act differently, and some will do all the posturing while others don't hesitate to jump in. One of mine will chase any fox that comes into our garden - no hesitation, she just runs straight at them. I've even seen her jump onto a fox (grabbing one of its hind legs) and try to bite it. The foxes run away pretty quickly! Her sister, on the other hand, makes a bee-line in the opposite direction...

Jan
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

The cat was just saving the boy for itself later on.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

My first reaction on seeing this story was - have we got here a remarkably skilful piece of Photoshopping? Having said that, it certainly looks genuine - but then I'm no expert on faking photos, let alone videos. And the backup evidence - the little boy showing his scars etc., certainly looks plausible. But this is the USA - where anything can happen.

All right - assuming it's genuine: from my personal experience, cats can certainly give an unwelcome dog the old one-two - I've seen it happen - but usually when they've got a litter of kittens to defend. So maybe the cat (assuming it's a female) had 'adopted' the little boy as a sort of surrogate kitten? Such things are not unknown in the animal world.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).