Encouragement about reporting

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlanD

Encouragement about reporting

Post by AlanD »

There is something that I'd like to share here on the subject of reporting incidents to the Police.
Several times I have read messages along the lines of 'why bother - nothing will get done'.
Well I'd just like to share this account by way of encouragement to any cyclists who are in some doubt.

A couple of weeks ago, I was travelling home from work along the A417, Streatley to Blewbury stretch and I was struggling very slowly up this long and steep incline up to the fiveways junction. A car came up and stayed behind me, not sure why he did not overtake as there was was a clear view. But he stayed behind (checking the timestamp on the camera afterwards, it was 20 seconds) The driver three cars back sounded his horn impatiently. When the lead driver did pass, the following drivers did likewise. However the impatient 3rd driver passed me 'very' close and gave a long blast of his horn when he was alongside.

I went straight to my local Police Station and reported the incident. Later that day a PCSO came to visit me and he sat while I gave my account and we watched the videos from both front facing and rear facing cameras together, while discussing the finer points. I slipped in what the Highway Code has to say about passing space, vulnerable road users and sounding of horn. I also pointed out "I hope that he would not do that to a horse rider, well guess what... cyclists can be startled too" The PCSO took notes and left promising to look into it.

Well he did keep me informed. It turned out that the driver was not local, so the matter had to be passed onto Wantage Police Station.
This week, I received this e-mail:

"I have been assured by colleagues out of area that the gentleman who used his horn and drove too close to you has been given stern words of advice about his driving. We have his index so if any other incidents occur that involve him we can deal with him appropriately. "

So three cheers to Thames Valley Police
Psamathe

Re: Encouragement about reporting

Post by Psamathe »

Well done. I always feel that we (me and probably many others) are very ready to be critical of policing, but when we have evidence and fail to provide it to them them we really can't expect them to act. And your example clearly shows how they can act. So always worth a try.

Ian
grani

Post by grani »

I agree completely but it's hard for me to get over having been made to sit and wait for hours in a police station waiting to file a report. After a few hours an officer finally took pity on me and told me that I should just go home because nobody was actually going to come and take my statement.

Essentially they were just going to let me sit there until I finally gave up. Which I did and now consider the police useless and best avoided.

My enemy's friend is my enemy, as they say.

Btw, I had a witness to the incident and had already called 101 to get a case number and called ahead to police station before going.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlanD
Glad you got a response and I agree,three cheers for Thames Valley Police,however Greater Manchester and Cheshire police have proved to be a complete and utter waste of time on the numerous occasions I've reported bad and sometimes very dangerous driving,dangerous parking and other criminal activity to them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Hi grani, reohn2. Sorry to hear that you had such experiences. If these experiences were not too far in the past, you could try what I did a few years back; get the name of the Chief Constable for that region and write a personal letter to said Chief Constable, calmly pointing out the precise incident(s) the outcome and how disappointed you were that you were not taken seriously and that you expect better in future. It may also help to say something along the lines of, "I appreciate that your force is challenged for resources but may I point out that if such bad attitude is not corrected early, it could lead to a later tragedy"

All the best, Alan
vak11

Post by vak11 »

Hi,
Well I'd just like to share this account by way of encouragement to any cyclists who are in some doubt.

I had a similar experience the other week. This was an incident involving a moped being ridden very close to me for about 50 metres, the passenger tapping on my shoulder, waving at my face followed by showing me the finger inches from my face while we were both travelling at about 15-20 mph. This time I decided to visit my local police station and not the one in the city centre.

The response from the officer at the reception was very helpful. She took my statement gave an incident number and informed me that an alert has been placed on the moped (i supplied the licence plate) so that patrol officers will be on the look out for it. She also said that officers may contact me if there is a need for follow up information. It may help that this officer is a cyclist herself and occassionally is out on patrol on cycle.

My previous reporting of being spat at to the city centre police station was the complete opposite experience as on that occassion I was informed that I must have done something to provoke it, asked to wait and complete a form. On that occassion I was informed that there will be a follow up query with the driver of the vehicle but never heard anything back from the Police.

So my conclusion is that despite the previous dissapointing experience I am glad I followed up the recent incident. With a bit of luck I may get some feedback of the follow up action in due course.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I was walking through my small market town earlier today when I saw two police officers riding bikes in official garb, including helmets, clearly on duty. Maybe things will change soon? Well I can hope, but I'm not holding my breath :?
Power to the pedals