Left over route signs

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Grandad

Left over route signs

Post by Grandad »

The multiplication of charity based rides has been one of the growth areas of cycling , benefitting both the charities and our pastime/sport/hobby/interest - or whatever it is to you :)

Some of the 2-3,000 plus rider commercially organised ones create adverse comments about the litter dropped by riders but my additional dislike is the visual eyesore of so many direction signs left stapled to telegraph poles for weeks afterwards. Locally nearly all of these are left by rides run by local charities.

This morning my club held a modest - about 250 riders - 118km sportive for our local air ambulance and before the start we put a sign at every junction. Within an hour of the last rider finishing every sign had been collected. When collecting from my portion of the course I also removed a selection of other signs of varying ages and condition.

Please, if anyone is involved in helping with a ride that puts out signs do ask the organiser to get them removed afterwards.
cjchambers

Re: Left over route signs

Post by cjchambers »

The signs of the better organised events usually have a telephone number on the back so that the organiser can be informed (harassed?) telephonically if necessary. A good idea I think.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I came across one recently with some small print along the lines of "important sign for Charity event, please do not remove. Will be taken down within one week".

When it was still there one month later I did the honours.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Another perspective, how to gain some signage for your own event.... :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The signs of the better organised events usually have a telephone number on the back so that the organiser can be informed (harassed?) telephonically if necessary.

Have never seen this - perhaps the better organised events do collect their signs
Another perspective, how to gain some signage for your own event

And end up with a miscellaneous multicolored collection of unmatched tatty signs.............. Yesterdays collection are safely in the dustbin

I must confess to having picked up over the years several of the large CTT "Cycle Event" signs that were still in situ several days after an event.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well of course it depends on the signs, but most of those around here are a standard bright yellow with cycle event on them..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

So you start a ride and could end up anywhere depending on which yellow signs you follow (visualises a popular X-rd with 4 signs, each pointing a different way :? )

We have made our signs very distinctive - yellow A4 mounted on laminated fluorescent orange A3. Just done their 10th year and still looking good (that's if "good" is an accurate description of the colour combination!)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

:lol: Not me, am not silly enough to follow the sheep and ride around via signs..... like to know the route in advance and have a readable route sheet, never trust arrows.... :lol:
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

Racing warning signs left up annoy me the most , as its bad enough getting drivers to take notice of these at the best of time , but when left up for days ( and sometimes put up days before) drivers are going to ignore them completely . Triathlons seem the worst around me for this
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In the Chilterns we have lots of cyclists visiting for organised rides, they leave arrow signs all over the place. Its a very bad advert for cyclists in general. Its as bad as litter. Local people are fed up with it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
jezer

Post by jezer »

When I organised road races in the 90's I always had a routing team to put up signs and a de-routing one to follow behind the broom wagon, taking the signs down. It's not too complicated.
Power to the pedals
mjr

Post by mjr »

It's not complicated, but it's an unnecessary expense for the profit-making events. Unless councils start getting serious and ASBOing them like they did a couple of flyposters, or charging them for cleanup, then what profit's in it for them?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jezer

Post by jezer »

mjr wrote:It's not complicated, but it's an unnecessary expense for the profit-making events. Unless councils start getting serious and ASBOing them like they did a couple of flyposters, or charging them for cleanup, then what profit's in it for them?

Ah, that may be the issue. When I was involved races and other events were organised by clubs. There were no commercial organisations or charities cashing in then.
Power to the pedals