Cycling snobbery!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: Cycling snobbery!

Post by PH »

Tribes isn't it? A lot of it probably isn't even on a conscious level, we're more likely to greet those we see as being similar to ourselves, nothing to do with cycling. Depending on who you are, where you are and what you are doing, those you recognise as being in the same tribe will vary. On my commute, I nod at the regulars, out on my own in the countryside I'll greet every adult on a bike, on a foreign tour I'll probably only wave at other cycle tourists. On top of this I always return greetings, though sometimes I may miss it or it's too late.
Not being greeted is certainly nothing to get worked up about, it would be foolish to think that because I think someone is in the same tribe as me that they do too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:........Not being greeted is certainly nothing to get worked up about, it would be foolish to think that because I think someone is in the same tribe as me that they do too.

It's not so much tribal as a human thing,with no one else on the road outside of a motor,I consider it good manners to acknowledge another human being whether they be cyclists or walkers.As much I consider it good manners to make my presence known(from a good distance so as not to startle),to anyone walking in the same direction as I'm travelling when on a SUP or narrow road,and being prepared to apologise should I startle them.
Mrs R2 and I have experienced being consciously ignored when out walking on local footpaths,sometimes by people deliberately looking the other way so as not to have to acknowledge our presence :? .
I find this really disturbing on a social level,and I have to say it tends to be the younger element of society though not exclusively,sad in so many ways.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

I find it is definitely the case that you get more response from your 'own kind'. If I am wearing Lycra on a road bike I find mountain bikers don't often say hello back. As someone who rides different bikes at different times I wouldn't say one group is more or less friendly than another. Additionally, some roadie acknowledgements can be quite subtle.
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:It's not so much tribal as a human thing,with no one else on the road outside of a motor,I consider it good manners to acknowledge another human being whether they be cyclists or walkers.

It took be by surprise that in the Outer Hebrides many of the local motorists give you a friendly wave. I suppose the sparser the population the wider the tribe boundaries get drawn. You've drawn yours to include all cyclists and walkers, but haven't extended it to motorists, that's fine but it doesn't make it less of a tribe :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
It took be by surprise that in the Outer Hebrides many of the local motorists give you a friendly wave. I suppose the sparser the population the wider the tribe boundaries get drawn. You've drawn yours to include all cyclists and walkers, but haven't extended it to motorists, that's fine but it doesn't make it less of a tribe :wink:

Nope,cars very often go past too quick to warrant wave or greeting and anyway they're usually texting or talking to a tribal member to notice me :wink:,including the two today I was waving to as they overtook(on the right),whilst we were signalling to turn right :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
BV1961

Post by BV1961 »

I think it's culture not snobbery....any longtime roadie will always ask if you are ok if stopped on the side of the road , it's never been the case with mountain bikers...which is a much newer culture and it's not the case with the new phase of road riders new to the sport ... Anyone who has cycled with a club learns to look after each other on the road....if you've not been with a club then it's down to the individual and each must make up their own mind.
JenniferAdcock

Post by JenniferAdcock »

There might be some cyclist snobbery but I've not seen much in my time cycling.

What I have seen is less cyclists waving to each other but I think that may be down to us multiplying out of control in recent years 8)
For Example: When I started commuting to work in 2007 or so I saw maybe 2 cyclists on my way in to work and we waved to each other. 5 years later I stopped waving to every cyclist as there seemed to be so many. However, nothing prevents a nice smile and a nod.

Depending on what I am doing (work commute, club ride or sportive) my speed and how safe it is I'll tend to smile, nod and maybe say 'good morning' or 'good afternoon'. If I am busy concentrating on staying on the road due to wind or it's a high speed descent, expect little from me but that's not being rude, that's just safety.

For the original poster - do not let a few other cyclists put you off, the majority are lovely :)
cheesypeeps

Post by cheesypeeps »

I always wave/nod/say hello to fellow people on bikes that I pass! It doesn't cost anything to be nice does it?!
I passed two people at the road side the other day. One was fixing a puncture. I checked that they had all the equipment that they needed before I passed them by. Why would you have repairs equipment but see someone struggle who has forgotten something!
I agree as well regarding the motorbiking comments. When I was a learner I found the 'big bikes' wouldn't give me a wave. I'm now on a 'big bike' and also wave or nod to fellow bikers regardless of the type of bike their own.
It's nice to be nice!
using hovercraft full of eels.
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

PH wrote:Tribes isn't it?

The narcissism of small differences!

I happily respond to anyone but I don’t usually initiate a greeting except when out in the sticks. Obviously it’s not practical to greet every cyclist in a big city.

I think some greetings go unnoticed (a subtle raised finger or whatever) and some are not heard (the greeter not being loud enough to be heard over the wind). I bear no-one ill will just because they don’t greet me enthusiastically enough! I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt generally.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

foxyrider wrote:but enough people buy so called 'replica' team attire and never race, lots of people wear football shirts but never even kick a ball! :lol:

I didn't say replica team kit, club kit, the sort you buy when you join a local road club and cannot buy if you are not a member.
And that said club is a road racing orientated club.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Cunobelin wrote:COST!

We are not all rich, and as each year teams change strip, the previous one is cleared to make space.

You can get a lot of quality cycling gear at very cheap prices by buying last years team strip.

I didn't say replica team kit, club kit, the sort you buy when you join a local road club and cannot buy if you are not a member.
And that said club is a road racing orientated club.
dalifnei

Post by dalifnei »

Their loss not yours!
maff1977

Post by maff1977 »

I reckon some cyclists can't wave because their steerings far too twitchy to take a hand off the bars :lol:
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

maff1977 wrote:I reckon some cyclists can't wave because their steerings far too twitchy to take a hand off the bars :lol:

You may have something there...if I'm going downhill really fast (the only time I ever go really fast) I might nod or say hi but not take a hand off - might possibly waggle (more than two) fingers.....
I'm in a rural area, so I don't meet many fellow cyclists, and it's easy to greet them all, so I do. Very very few don't reply , some even beat me to it.

As for footpaths, we notice that the higher and tougher the route, the more people will speak when you meet, unless there are lots of people, like on a summit.
In the mountains people will often pause to mention the weather, or ask about the route you have just come up or down.
Even on the Long Mynd, people are fine until you get to the bit where the cars park at Carding Mill- the more you drop down to valley level, the less friendly people get. By the time you're at car level, if you say Hi people just stare at you, and you dare not even smile within ten yards of a child or its parents look at you like you are dodgy. :(
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I always like to greet people when out on the road touring. Whether its white van men with a shake of the fingers(cough) or roadies in lycra or other tourists. Its just about being nice. However I did have to chase one guy in a team sky lycra outfit and a roadbike who was plain rude, and as i shot past him in Uxbridge at 25mph with 4 panniers and a tent I cheerily waved hello as I sailed past. Who cares if I had to rein it in as soon as he turned off and munch a pasty and an energy drink.

Spread the love I say :mrgreen:

Emma