Cycling snobbery!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
macd69

Cycling snobbery!

Post by macd69 »

I got back into cycling about 4 years ago, cycling to work on a Carrera subway hybrid, but before long I had purchased a road bike, and all the gear including the Lycra, and have managed to get my 20k each way commute down to 40 mins from 80mins. But just recently I decided to give my car to my daughter and use the carrera for shopping as it has panniers. I normally greet fellow cyclists and pedestrians with a nod and a ' good morning or whatever, and at the very least I get a nod in return. But yesterday I was cycling back from the shops, up Linlithgow road in Bo'ness, I moved out to the white line to turn right and I nodded and said hello to two Lycra clad cyclists coming down the hill, and both of them looked at me with stony faces and never said a word. Only thing I can think of was I wasn't wearing the gear, and wasn't on a road bike, anyone else experienced this?
maff1977

Re: Cycling snobbery!

Post by maff1977 »

some people are just like that. don't worry. keep on doing what your doing. :D
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Ha. Yup, tis a very common theme. It doesn't matter if your bike's worth more, is a better brand and fitted with all the top gubbins; if it's not skinny carbon and you've not kitted out right, the glare is the best you'll get from some. It's funniest though, I find, when there's a group of'em, and one or more do acknowledge you happily, but others in the group studiously ignore you.

The ones that always make me wonder though, are the non roadies on on more tour/leisure oriented bikes that you can see regularly on the same path and give a smiley greeting to, but always give you a stone cold stare in return. Perhaps in London I could understand, but in rural NW Lancs? Ah well.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

They may have just missed your greeting. Chance are they just didn't register you or you missed there nod of acknowledgement. its not worth getting hung up about
NUKe

Post by Lucyhan »

I think some of the young men on road bikes going very fast just get into the 'zone'. Whereas most CTC members enjoy cycling as they can look at birds, flowers, animals, amazing scenery and a bit of social chit chat, some people use there bikes for exercise and nothing else. I think when I shout a cheery 'hello' I take them by surprise. And some of them are miserable toerags (as they say in Eastenders).

Whatever they may just be having a bad day, I know I go cycling when I am feeling down about something.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Ah the old greeting thing. I wave at and greet everyone. But you should not expect one in return. It's a free country if someone doesn't respond that's their choice get over it.

Ps how is the subway? I was considering one to keep at work for lunchtime rides.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

oh the same old thorny crown :lol: When I started as a 'CTC style' tourist, the road lads ignored us, or teased us cos they thought we were only going as far as Wellesbourne Café for the day.
Then I started racing, and if out on a stripped down bike the tourist lot ignored me!
Then I got more involved in the local scene the more I raced and toured and everyone just knew me for who I was...
Then the MTB fraternity came on the scene..... :shock: :roll:

Then I moved and had start from square one all over again.. for the record I usually nod to every type of cyclist..... but do get some odd looks from those who are clearly fairly newbie types esp on the Guild Wheel etc. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mark1978 wrote:Ah the old greeting thing. I wave at and greet everyone.... get over it...

I am like you and the OP and I also ride a motorcycle and experience the same thing. I used to ride a Triumph Tiger 1050 and BMW GS riders would ignore my greetings but now having recently brought one I will be joining the Elite it seems. But I am damned if I am ever going to stop waving to fellow cyclists or motorcyclists that are riding less expensive less powerful machines than me.
I think worse than that there have been occasions when on either machine I have broken down and really would have liked some assistance and fellow vehicle users have just ridden past me.
Mark I really would like to as you say" get over it" but I just can't.

Its a wonder I am still alive as when I do get ignored I have to shout some sort of sarcastic remark in the wake.
macd69

Post by macd69 »

I am really happy with the Subway Mark, it is really sturdy, and copes better than my Triban 3 with the rough road between Bo'ness and Falkirk, although it is a lot heavier, and takes me a bit longer.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I think this 'problem' came up once or twice before.
I think as more people start to cycle, we're no longer in a minority group and so lots if folk aren't giving each other the nod as we once did.
Before long we'll be at each other's throats just like the motorists. :?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
gaz

Post by gaz »

macd69 wrote:...anyone else experienced this?

Yes, I often experience unknown cyclists waving, smiling and saying hello as I try to maintain my stonefaced straight ahead stare whilst riding in the opposite direction :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

macd69 wrote:I am really happy with the Subway Mark, it is really sturdy, and copes better than my Triban 3 with the rough road between Bo'ness and Falkirk, although it is a lot heavier, and takes me a bit longer.

Thanks! It's a cheap bike but looks good value for it.
Chris the Sheep

Post by Chris the Sheep »

If you think you're looked down on, try riding an electric bike!

(PS My 'real' bike, ie not electric, is a Carrera Subway 8, and a mighty fine thing it is too.)
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

Well, I ignore other cyclists unless they ride expensive road bikes and are kitted in expensive gear :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lucyhan wrote:I think some of the young men on road bikes going very fast just get into the 'zone'.

When out in the Cheshire lanes I very often come across some of the pros Geraint Thomas,Ed Clancey,etc,quite a few of the pro ladies and the para Olympic riders too.
These folks are out training and they're fast,25mph+ fast,they always speak and wave whether I'm solo or we're on the tandem.
I passed a Sky rider coming the other way on Tuesday,he waaas flying,but still nodded and said how do to an old fart on a touring bike.
It's the recognition of another cyclist whatever they're age or bike/attire or ability and it's the wannabies who are so far up their own bottom brackets who don't IME.
Whatever they may just be having a bad day, I know I go cycling when I am feeling down about something.

The wannabies are always having a bad day :?

We were stopped at the side of the road on Wednesday whilst I rubbed a smear of vaseline on squeaky cleat,when a young chap on Specialized CF race bike all ripped up in black and red and as fit as,stopped and asked if we were OK,nice chap :) .
There was a time when out down the lanes,every cyclist 'let on' whatever they were riding,times change..........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden