Helmets and Insects

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elizabethsdad

Re: Helmets and Insects

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Flinders wrote:I wasn't pretending to be Wiggo when I captured my wasp, quite the reverse, I'm so unfit I get boiling hot and have to unzip. :wink:
Though in populated areas I can't zip as low as you chaps, so have to zip back up a bit. :lol:

I didn't realise that getting hot was a sign of being unfit - I can get quite warm just going for a walk
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I'm wearing two Buffs at this time of year. One under the helmet and over the ears, and one round the neck, ready to be pulled up as a mask if I encounter any swarms of insects.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

At Halfords, they sell Glass Repair Tape for, guess what, repairing glass. Motor vehicle lamp lenses to be precice.
Its self adhesive and clear. Lends itself to cover the front slots in a bicycle crash helmet.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Ayesha wrote:At Halfords, they sell Glass Repair Tape for, guess what, repairing glass. Motor vehicle lamp lenses to be precice.
Its self adhesive and clear. Lends itself to cover the front slots in a bicycle crash helmet.

Including that big, bug-magnet slot in front of your face? :lol: :lol: :lol:
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

My new very expensive (NOT) Aldi helmet has a built in mesh to stop them
Kent79

Post by Kent79 »

One buff under the helmet works for me
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Elizabethsdad wrote:
Flinders wrote:I wasn't pretending to be Wiggo when I captured my wasp, quite the reverse, I'm so unfit I get boiling hot and have to unzip. :wink:
Though in populated areas I can't zip as low as you chaps, so have to zip back up a bit. :lol:

I didn't realise that getting hot was a sign of being unfit - I can get quite warm just going for a walk

I'm working on walking fitness for a trip to Skye. I fins that the fitter I get, the less hot I get on steep ascents.
Cycling, I find if I'm fitter I can go faster, so more 'windchill', so I;m cooler. Until I stop, at which point I boil. On a hot day I'm always cooler when cycling than walking.
But altitude has an effect too- the other day walking on Cadair Idris it was warm in the valley but darn cold on the summit............
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Up vote for a hair net.
It has always worked for me.
In fact, thanks for reminding me - I am starting to get that buzzing in my ears again on sunny days.

Cheers

LGC
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

DaveGos wrote:My new very expensive (NOT) Aldi helmet has a built in mesh to stop them

It soon fills up.