Cycle - You must be banned or poor

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dean

Re: Cycle - You must be banned or poor

Post by Dean »

Fair enough. Self-awareness is a useful thing!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I have an valid excuse to be a bit odd. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

MockCyclist wrote:Not cycling but in the same theme of people making bizarre assumptions - I'm a lifetime tea-totaller. Once when I told someone I didn't drink I got the slightly sheepish question "what ... you've ... um ... had a problem, then? A reformed alcoholic?

Ive had this from a health professional who drew herself up to her full height during a consultation and opined 'in my experience people who don't drink at all have usually had a problem with it.' Which suggests I've had a problem with gambling and smoking too... or perhaps I just don't like any of them.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

nez dans le guidon wrote:
MockCyclist wrote:Not cycling but in the same theme of people making bizarre assumptions - I'm a lifetime tea-totaller. Once when I told someone I didn't drink I got the slightly sheepish question "what ... you've ... um ... had a problem, then? A reformed alcoholic?

Ive had this from a health professional who drew herself up to her full height during a consultation and opined 'in my experience people who don't drink at all have usually had a problem with it.' Which suggests I've had a problem with gambling and smoking too... or perhaps I just don't like any of them.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet? :lol:
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
nez

Post by nez »

At scrabble?
sore thumb

Post by sore thumb »

Maybe it because some people listen to TV celebrities who tell cyclists to grow up and buy a car.

Don't want to be seen on a toy now do we.........

;-)
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

In the desolate wasteland that is post industrial east midlands, it's usually chavs and doleys on BSOs either biking to the offy for some special brew or nipping around to their dealer for a bit of skunk.

So yeah, probably poor, but to be fair I never get any stares or comments but I wouldn't be surprised to find out most people think that cyclists are poor or failed drivers.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Si wrote:Generally I don't find an assumption of banned or poor, however, I have noticed than when pushing the bike through the shopping precinct the Big Issue seller never tries to sell me one, whereas when just walking (not wearing bike clothes) they always do. Make of that what you will!

When walking the bike in town centres or even walking around supermarkets in my duds I rarely ever get stopped to be asked for money/surveys/utilities/samples etc..bit of a bonus tbh on occasion :D
I always assume they think because I bike I must be strapped for cash..the intelligent ones can spot the value of your bike and pounce like hawks..lol
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

nez dans le guidon wrote:

There is an entertaining discussion in the book " Bad Science" in which he dispels the widely held myth that drinking a small amount is better than not drinking at all. I like a drink but never believe that it is healthier than abstaining. The conclusion of the book is that a large number of non-drinkers don't drink because they are either ill in some way or a recovering alcoholic!

And yes, back on cycling, people do think I'm mad cycling to work everyday!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:From what I remember reading they would need to. From memory the Boris Bikes scheme is the most expensive (to users) and least used of such schemes around the world. Just repeating what I remember reading (this year) and not making a comment.

It depends what you're doing but http://www.decobike.com/pricing works out more expensive than http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/bar ... ntcmp=2315 to non residents for typical riding in the hire dock zone, I think.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nez

Post by nez »

I gave it up many years ago intending just to have a couple of months off (like you might do wheat or dairy) but when I next tasted alcohol it was like cough medicine, so that was that. It's a bit of a pain as going to a pub watching people drink until their speech slurs (which happens quicker than most think) is a bit boring if you don't join in.
FatPunkOnBike

Post by FatPunkOnBike »

As an Ayrshire man through and through i can only assume it's a West Of Scotland thing that says you need pigeon holed in every aspect of your life! Rich/Poor, Catholic/Protestant, Rangers/Celtic etc....
This is not a dig at what is a beautiful place to live, work and cycle in as for every half wit who has ever screamed abuse at me whilst cycling, there must be another 200 who drive past without comment or attempting to take my life!!
Chris the Sheep

Post by Chris the Sheep »

1 in 200 shouts abuse? Flaming heck, I'm glad I don't live in Ayrshire!
nez

Post by nez »

It may be abuse. It may be "roulez roulez." Nobody knows.
VanDriver

Post by VanDriver »

When people express this presumption they are exposing one of their insecurities, ie they would not consider not owning a car (as long as they could afford to) because it would tell the world that they are not doing well financially. Well that's my attempt at pop psychology anyway.