2 Abreast

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Guy951

Re: 2 Abreast

Post by Guy951 »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Where the Council have provided white dotted line cycle lanes they very conspicuously stop before a refuge and start again soon after.

This is because cycle lanes aren't there for the convenience of cyclists, they're there to make them slow-moving self-propelled nuisances keep to one side so they don't impede the progress of proper traffic.

At least, that's what I've come to believe after years of personal experience. Other opinions are available and may vary from the one aired above.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
boliston

Post by boliston »

Guy951 wrote:
LittleGreyCat wrote:Where the Council have provided white dotted line cycle lanes they very conspicuously stop before a refuge and start again soon after.

This is because cycle lanes aren't there for the convenience of cyclists, they're there to make them slow-moving self-propelled nuisances keep to one side so they don't impede the progress of proper traffic.

At least, that's what I've come to believe after years of personal experience. Other opinions are available and may vary from the one aired above.

I have never actually seen the point in cycle "lanes" as a bit of white paint on a road give totally NO protection to a cyclist as if a motorist cannot see a bit of white paint there is NO WAY they will spot a cyclist!

I would rather have segregated paths or NOTHING
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I'm the same. They give the impression that they allow all the space a cyclist needs which would mean allowing for the cyclist riding a safe distance from the kerb, the width of the cyclist, and a safe passing distance for motor vehicles. That would mean say 2.5m in urban areas and 3m or so on faster roads (basically a narrow road lane). We generally get 1.5m at most so all they do is encourage gutter riding and unsafe overtaking. That is before we get on to their fixed position on the road which discourages cyclists from 'taking the lane' or adapting to other road hazards.

I don't think that that many segregated paths are much good either.