First 300k?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Trigger

Re: First 300k?

Post by Trigger »

Psamathe wrote:I do wish people (not here 'cos I appreciate it is others that do it) would not be so lazy and abbreviate 300km to 300k. To me the "k" at the end means 1000's (or 1024's). So 300k=300000 !!

Ian

Why does it matter when we all know what we're talking about? If I put 300k would you honestly think I were riding a 300,000km Audax? :?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote:I do wish people (not here 'cos I appreciate it is others that do it) would not be so lazy and abbreviate 300km to 300k. To me the "k" at the end means 1000's (or 1024's). So 300k=300000 !!

Ian

And if we're going to be picky 1024s should have the abbreviation Ki rather than plain k (or K) as it is a binary power rather than a decimal one :twisted:

Mick F wrote:Pedantic head on here .........

It's not k, but K.
Wiki seems to disagree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo-

Having spent a career in electronics, Kilo was always in upper case, same as M and G and T, but sub-unity smaller units were in lower case m - milli and (can't do the symbol on here) (mu) y - micro, and p - pico etc etc.

It has probably acceptable to use either because there isn't a different unit with the same initial. Whereas you have to get it right (or potentially cause great confusion) with m & M as there is a somewhat large difference between them. :)

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... Base_units

scroll down to the bottom. Its little k.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:

Ian

And if we're going to be picky 1024s should have the abbreviation Ki rather than plain k (or K) as it is a binary power rather than a decimal one :twisted:

Interesting. Shows you what you can miss by retiring early.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

freeflow wrote:See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... Base_units

scroll down to the bottom. Its little k.
I saw that, and I don't agree.
I think that there is some merit in using lower case k so it doesn't get mixed up with upper case K for degrees Kelvin, but it doesn't matter really because you are usually only talking about one subject at a time.

However, in the electronics world - and the maths world - the upper case letters are for the big numbers, and the lower case for the small ones.

K = 10cubed.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Isn't that exactly what the k in km* stands for? 300km=300000m. As long as we know we are talking are using the metric measurement of distance, which is usually clear from context, I don't see the problem.

*I've rarely seen it capitalized
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

"kilometer" isn't a proper noun, so it has a little k.
Therefore km is short for kilometer, and not Km.

However, I still stand by my point that K = 10cubed - or it always was when I was using it in electronics and the maths behind it ......... despite what Wiki says.
Mick F. Cornwall
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Edwards wrote:<snip>
Trigger I recall that this type of diet can have problems with exercise, motivation and takes time to get used to. Could this be the reason for your low mileage at the moment?
<snip>

Do you have a reference for this?

I have been LCHF for a while and find it a very easy eating plan to follow.

People generally report a lift in energy after a short while.

I am cycling about 20 miles / 30 kilometres at the moment at the start of a training schedule and I think the initial training at this level is far harder than extending the distance a bit later on.
Getting your basic fitness up and your backside adjusted to 2 hours in the saddle is IMHO the hardest part.

From memory, once the initial fitness level comes up then the cycling is much more enjoyable.
Then again I have never done a longer distance than about 50 miles, on the London to Brighton.

Cheers

LGC
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Went for it today just to see where I am, managed 85 miles, all be it without too much in the way of steepness. Just about managed although the last 20 miles were through gritted teeth.

I'm more amazed at how little I needed to eat to accomplish this ride, all bodes well for future improvement. Hopefully we'll get a run of decent weather because I find it hard to get motivated to go out when it's rubbish, weather turning when I'm already out I can deal with but setting off in it takes some arm twisting.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Nice one, trig.

(I'm ok - saving up for another trip, and I know what you mean about trains).

I know a couple of long-distance cyclists who've tried the keto thing, and they also reported not really needing to stop to refuel. Mind you, one of them was last seen riding around with six hot cross buns in his Carradice, so the diet hasn't lasted that well.
Si

Post by Si »

I'm more amazed at how little I needed to eat to accomplish this ride

For me it's the other way around - I'm always amazed at how much riding I have to do to accomplish the amount of eating I wish to partake in.

Anyway - well done on the ride, you'll soon be back to your best, and remember: Res Firma Mitescere Nescit (referring to the American Fliers translation)
OnYourRight

Post by OnYourRight »

fossala wrote:I'm doing my first 300 on Saturday, I'll report how it goes...

Well? I’ve never done 300 km at a go. Curious how it feels.

Trigger wrote:Looking for a goal and some motivation to get me out.

Looks like you’re doing okay now, but how about reading this old article on the inspirational Vélocio before your next long ride?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
fossala wrote:
Trigger wrote:How long would it take to be ready to tackle a 300k? Say for someone who used to be a regular cyclist and had done a few 200s but is starting again from scratch.

Looking for a goal and some motivation to get me out.

Cheers.

I'm doing my first 300 on Saturday, I'll report how it goes...

How did it go :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's still pedaling?
Mick F. Cornwall
mazzrock

Post by mazzrock »

Grand thread this. Looking to ride my first 300 soon. My biggest concern is erm... guts. Will have to be really careful on what goes in day prior and during as can be a bit of a problem and worrying about it makes it worse doh! Aside from that, relishing a challenge.