First 300k?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Trigger

First 300k?

Post by Trigger »

How long would it take to be ready to tackle a 300k? Say for someone who used to be a regular cyclist and had done a few 200s but is starting again from scratch.

Looking for a goal and some motivation to get me out.

Cheers.
fossala

Re: First 300k?

Post by fossala »

Trigger wrote:How long would it take to be ready to tackle a 300k? Say for someone who used to be a regular cyclist and had done a few 200s but is starting again from scratch.

Looking for a goal and some motivation to get me out.

Cheers.

I'm doing my first 300 on Saturday, I'll report how it goes...
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Last year I was on 2000k total when I did my first 300k of the year.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Depends on age and determination / time to do ride :?:
In a group / Audax event, or unsuported :?:
Some will tell you that the training will take some time, if you are 30 then possible six months, 50 + allow a year. I.M.O.

15 years ago when I was 40, me and a mate did a 200k and did 30 miles before event then extended the ride home, 178 miles so 10 short of 300 k (187.5 m)
Started at 06.00 and finished at 21.30 , over dartmoor and first 75 miles was lane work, that slows you down.

We did no specific training and started about say 4 - 5 months before doing 20 - 30 miles three or four times a week.

Intensive training will shorten the training time by half if you are so inclined.

I've done two unsuported 300k's in the past couple of years, (heading for 500k in 24 hrs) in about 14.5 hrs with just 3000 - 4000 kilometers of training / year.
I am not sure what the recomended time for 300k is :?:
My goal is still 500k in 24 unsuported.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

How far is 300Km in real money?
TBH, I'd have to calculate it to find out. I'll never understand why Audax riders think in Km, when the majority of the British population think in miles.

300km = 186.4miles
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i only work in km's these days so i don't have to keep making conversions when i'm abroad! :roll:

I'm doing a 200 in Germany on Saturday - pretty flat but i've done about five weeks 'training' - longest ride 3hrs, about 600km in total. I've got around the same event on 4 weeks prep previously in a reasonable 7 hours ride time. I find the biggest obstacle to getting round isn't fitness but its saddle time, my background riding is rarely more than an hour so getting used to being sat on the saddle for a longer period is essential.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
For most mortals on UK soil with less than perfect tarmac, add some hill and a good average will probably be 10 - 15 MPH overal time.
This then may border on sleep deprevation at about 18 + hrs. Which can be confused with lack of fitness, on a Audax likely you will stop for food breaks often an others around will perk you up. On your own on the grass verge is a different story.

Your Bat "Trigger"............
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I always work on 10mph overall average on a long ride.
300k audax will take over 18hrs.

Start at 08:00 and be finishing after 02:00 the next day.
Too far for me. I need my beauty sleep.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

Mick F wrote:How far is 300Km in real money?
I'll never understand why Audax riders think in Km, when the majority of the British population think in miles.

It's because Audax is French, that is IIRC it came from France and the governing body was French so it was set up along the French lines. I dare say that AUK could change things if they wanted but I guess everyone is used to KM now, plus it makes it easier for the hundreds of people who cross the channel in both directions to get on with foreign rides.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I can see that, but we have all the distances on road signs in miles. Even speed limits are in MPH.

I'm doing a 160Km audax next month, but my Garmin is set to miles. Yes, I know I could set it to Km, but why should I?
I think in miles, all the signposts are in miles, I'll be uploading my tracks in miles and I produced them in miles. My ride Up North will be in miles, and I'll be chatting to people about miles.

Strikes me that audaxers use Km because the numbers are bigger. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Numbers are easier to deal with, 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, 600k are nice and round compared with the mile equivalent.

It's quite simple, the discipline originates in France, it's much easier to have one standard across Europe than being a typical little Englander and wanting everything changed just because some find it hard to deal with.
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Depends on age and determination / time to do ride :?:
In a group / Audax event, or unsuported :?:
Some will tell you that the training will take some time, if you are 30 then possible six months, 50 + allow a year. I.M.O.

15 years ago when I was 40, me and a mate did a 200k and did 30 miles before event then extended the ride home, 178 miles so 10 short of 300 k (187.5 m)
Started at 06.00 and finished at 21.30 , over dartmoor and first 75 miles was lane work, that slows you down.

We did no specific training and started about say 4 - 5 months before doing 20 - 30 miles three or four times a week.

Intensive training will shorten the training time by half if you are so inclined.

I've done two unsuported 300k's in the past couple of years, (heading for 500k in 24 hrs) in about 14.5 hrs with just 3000 - 4000 kilometers of training / year.
I am not sure what the recomended time for 300k is :?:
My goal is still 500k in 24 unsuported.

I'm 35, I should be in the prime of my life and fit enough to not even bat an eye at a 300k but the reality is a hilly 25k is currently very hard work.

I need some sort of goal as motivation because I can't convince myself just to go out on the bike for the hell of it, like today for instance, lovely day and I should be out on the bike but I just can't be a*sed.

Like I said I've done some 200s so the next obvious goal is a 300, I was just wondering if I started now whether I'd be ready for one this year. At the minute I find just the saddle time alone is far more exhausting than actually riding, getting off with all my upper body joints aching isn't much fun after 25k.

It would be solo and unsupported, and probably not an audax event but just my own 300k route.
Si

Post by Si »

Trigger wrote:Numbers are easier to deal with, 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, 600k are nice and round compared with the mile equivalent.

It's quite simple, the discipline originates in France, it's much easier to have one standard across Europe than being a typical little Englander and wanting everything changed just because some find it hard to deal with.

And it deters UKIPers :lol:
Si

Post by Si »

Trigger wrote:I'm 35, I should be in the prime of my life and fit enough to not even bat an eye at a 300k but the reality is a hilly 25k is currently very hard work.

I need some sort of goal as motivation because I can't convince myself just to go out on the bike for the hell of it, like today for instance, lovely day and I should be out on the bike but I just can't be a*sed.

Like I said I've done some 200s so the next obvious goal is a 300, I was just wondering if I started now whether I'd be ready for one this year. At the minute I find just the saddle time alone is far more exhausting than actually riding, getting off with all my upper body joints aching isn't much fun after 25k.

It would be solo and unsupported, and probably not an audax event but just my own 300k route.

It should be noted that this answer is founded on theory rather than actual Audax experience (I stopped at 200s). Reading Arrivee etc I've seen a number of people get up to 300 in a single season so you ought to be able to do it.

You already have experience of getting up to 200s. If I were you I would break it down into three separate challenges: first concentrate on just getting back into the swing of riding and get up to a 100. Then go for the 200, knowing that you have done it before and so are perfectly capable of it. Once that's achieved take stock and ask yourself if you still have the motivation for doing a 300...if you do then go for it knowing that you have a very sound base to work from and that going from suffering on a 25 up to achieving 200 is a lot harder than going from a solid 200 to 300.

As for setting targets - depends on the sort of person you are. For me, if I identify a particular ride that is currently OTT for me and say that I will be fit enough for that then I fail. But if I build it up and then choose the ride once I'm there then I'm much more liable to succeed. Other, though, work better if they have a defined goal and a mapped out plan of how to get there.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Done 200k before .....Tick

35 in your prime .......Tick

Two ticks add bonus.......Tick

300k is doable, your better equipped than most of us, why are you thinking if you are giving up before you've started :?

Get on with it or shut up :!: