Avoiding collisions

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
AlanD

Avoiding collisions

Post by AlanD »

I read this article in the most recent edition of Advanced Driving. I think that it is something which we all need to be aware of.

http://www.slobc.org/safety/documents/r ... -guide.pdf
Postboxer

Re: Avoiding collisions

Post by Postboxer »

Good read, I'm off to have seconds so I present a wider profile.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Turns out that the solution is for cyclists to make eye contact with drivers, wear hi-viz, avoid riding if the weather is unsuitable (your safety is more important than going out training so don't be obstinate :? ) or at least alter their route so they're not riding into the sun. Oh, and make sure you wear a helmet :roll:

I notice a distinct lack of calls for bright coloured vehicles, helmets for drivers, advice not to drive if the light conditions aren't right and even then not to make journeys in the direction the sun is shining. Also, advice to reduce your speed when approaching junctions "even if it's only by 20mph or so" does beg the question of how fast drivers are expected to be approaching junctions normally.

The first bit was interesting though.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Interesting, but a pity one of his 'almost the exact same scenes' wasn't- it showed a much wider image, which makes the biker harder to identify independently of the change in the light, which is a bit naughty (though the point being made is fair enough).
His ides of having lights on all the time is very dangerous for pedestrians, children, or cyclists with less than 'car headlight power' lights, as it makes it even harder to see anything without lights.

It's a good read, and I appreciated its points as a driver about missing objects between sightings, which I hadn't known about, and from that point of view I'd recommend everyone to read it, but it is flawed in other respects.
The main fault I have with it is that it still takes the premise that you 'go' if you can't see an obstruction, rather than only 'going' if you can see for sure that there isn't one- the latter is what I try to do.
Si

Post by Si »

I think we had this one a while back, where much of it got pulled apart. If you have a search you might be able to find the thread.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:If you have a search you might be able to find the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69799
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade