Bicycle storage conundrum

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Froom2

Bicycle storage conundrum

Post by Froom2 »

I'm not sure if this fits into this board, but the point is that I need to be able to get at my bike every day to commute to work so..

I live in a block of flats. We have a shed, which has a bicycle rack in it.

The problem is, that the shed is also used for much other stuff, and it is very full. One resident also has a child who owns a buggy, which is, due to lack of other space, usually parked infront of the bike rack. In order to get to my bicycle, I have no choice but to move the buggy on a regular basis. The ONLY place I can put it is on top of the other stuff in the shed.

I just had a very unpleasant discussion with this woman, which had no resolution. I don't know where her child can store their bicycle and I be able to get at my bike, and she doesn't know what else I can do but move it each time. She said if anyone complains to her about their stuff being squashed by this buggy, they will send them to my flat.

My flat is very tiny, and there is very much no space for my bicycle inside it, so that's ruled out as a solution.

I am terrified now, of having people come to me and complain about their stuff being under this buggy, when I literally have no choice if I want to go to work.

Rant over, I am now looking for any ideas at all.

My first thought was that we all have allocated parking spaces. Is there such a thing as a bike shed that I could erect in my allocated parking space that would be secure for my bicycle? Would I have to consider anything like planning permission if such a thing exists? (I could find anything obvious from a brief search)

Is there anything else I could do? I can't make people clear their stuff out of the shed, and there is no requirement to my knowledge that the bike rack be kept clear.

Sorry if this is off-topic. I'm desperate, frustrated, scared and angry :(
Mark1978

Re: Bicycle storage conundrum

Post by Mark1978 »

Is there no way you can keep it inside your flat? Hung on the wall perhaps? The shared 'parking' seems like a nightmare and your right to be wary.
Froom2

Post by Froom2 »

There is no wall space :(
I have two rooms in my flat, excluding the bathroom: of the two walls in the living room that are long enough to take a bicycle, one is full of sofa, and the other has my animal cage - and besides, is an interior hollow wall thing which is unsuitable for hanging anything of weight on even if it wasn't occupied.

In the bedroom, one wall is covered in the wardrobe, one with the bed, and there is no space inbetween.

Perhaps I need to move house. Perhaps that is the only option :( Unless there is some way of converting my parking space into bicycle storage, I don't see what on earth I can do.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

It's a shared space issue. Speak to your landlord. Are there any regulations regarding the use of the shed? Do any of the shed's current contents belong to former residents rather than current ones? What is his view on the problem?

Could you get to work on a folder?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I would not put any of my machines in a shared shed. Many years ago I lived in a fair size bedsit with my own separate bathroom. The bike lived propped up on its back wheel alongside the toilet. I could not sit straight, but my bike was looked after. The worst part by far was carrying it up and down two storeys of narrow winding stairs.
Froom2

Post by Froom2 »

gaz wrote:Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

It's a shared space issue. Speak to your landlord. Are there any regulations regarding the use of the shed? Do any of the shed's current contents belong to former residents rather than current ones? What is his view on the problem?

Could you get to work on a folder?

I could get to work on a folder... getting back would be a challenge on three gears due to the hill ;)

I've sent my landlord an email to find out, but I'm not very hopeful. I suspect a house move might be in order - I was considering it anyway, just not for another year or so :)
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

Froom2 wrote:My first thought was that we all have allocated parking spaces. Is there such a thing as a bike shed that I could erect in my allocated parking space that would be secure for my bicycle?

Yes. It's called a van.

You will pick up a non-runner Transit-sized van for ±£200. SORN it. Put after-market locks on it. Keep it reasonably clean and keep the tyres inflated. Voila a 5 x 2 m storage shed. No planning permission required.

Alternatively buy a Brompton.

We have a similar arrangement in our block with a shared use store room. I have to admit I probably make more use of it than any one else in the building; currently have: one Brompton, one mountain bike, one kid's bike, one tag-along, and a road bike coming soon. Sssh, don't tell my neighbours.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I was going to suggest a van as well...

cheap and reasonably secure...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It wouldn't even need to be a transit, a bike will fit into the back of a small van, but a transit might be more convenient with room for a workshop inside and extra storage!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Of course you need to be able to get it there....

You might be able to find a local breakers yard who could sell you the van sans engine/gearbox - and even deliver it. Or find an MOT failure form somewhere...

With a van in that state you could even put a fat bolt through the brake disc in lieu of a handbrake! make it rather hard to steal.
Pop in a 12V leisure battery and you could run central locking and/or an alarm in there as well.

I'm quite liking this idea actually...
Dead van, without any of the dodgy fluids normally present (so no risk of wrecking the pavement)
12V battery gives you remote locking and the possibility of gentle music whilst you work.
Easy to move when you move property.
Just need to keep it reasonably clean.
If you wanted more stability then drop a couple of caravan legs inside the wheels, or axle stands under the chassis, but don't lift it much above the normal suspension level, just enough to take the weight and give you good stability.

Keep the tyres pumped up, wash the outside occasionally...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I thought of a van or maybe a box trailer in your parking area. There are also plenty of folders with more then three gears - I have a Birdy with 7 gears which I was able to cycle up Chantry View Road in Guildford whilst carry a fair amount of clobber. I have thought that if I ever lived in a block of flats about installing a block pulley outside of the windows and winching the bike up the outside of the building and securing it there - would be fairly theft proof!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ooh - a box trailer is another good call. Easier to justify things like legs on a trailer. Easier to move as well.
If you're really lucky with positioning then running a mains feed might be possible... Even if it's only one you pop on for the time you're there, just to charge a battery and provide lights/music.

Internal LED lighting... Build it properly as a workstation.

Hmm... So much fun.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I understand that you need to move the buggy to get access to your bike, but I can't understand why you can't replace it once your bike is out of the rack. :?

(On the subject of using a motor vehicle for storage, I see plenty round here with signs saying "Nothing stored in this vehicle overnight.")
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Froom2 wrote:There is no wall space :(
I have two rooms in my flat, excluding the bathroom: of the two walls in the living room that are long enough to take a bicycle, one is full of sofa, and the other has my animal cage - and besides, is an interior hollow wall thing which is unsuitable for hanging anything of weight on even if it wasn't occupied.

In the bedroom, one wall is covered in the wardrobe, one with the bed, and there is no space inbetween.

Perhaps I need to move house. Perhaps that is the only option :( Unless there is some way of converting my parking space into bicycle storage, I don't see what on earth I can do.

Over the sofa?
Couple of hooks reasonably high, and get one of the spinning headsets?

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/two-comp ... bike-thin/
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

If you do use some sort of vehicle that requires a Tax Disc if it is not insured and registered in your name you will get an automatic fine unless you keep the SORN up to date.
Once a motor vehicle enters a scrap yard and the V5 is sent away by the previous owner then it is very difficult to keep the registered vehicle.
As most flats have parking restrictions for their car parks then a scrap uninsured and no current tax disc may be recovered and the owner charged. A lot of this type of parking does not allow trailers to be parked overnight as well.
So the solution is a road worthy motor vehicle if you want to try this solution.

Is it not possible to hang the bike up from the roof of the shed?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar