'Bike shaped' bike light?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

'Bike shaped' bike light?

Post by 661-Pete »

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 49504.html

Any thoughts about this one, before I add my own comment? :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
beardy

Re: 'Bike shaped' bike light?

Post by beardy »

If they manage to miss the 2 metre cyclist when looking, the 2" one should catch their eyes instead.

That seems to be the idea, I cant help having a slight nagging doubt in the back of my mind that there is a slight flaw in the logic.

However when they see that little 2" cycle they will know the big thing it is stuck on is a cycle and then they will see it. So it is a safety device. :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Heard about this a few weeks back, if they can't see my 1000 lumen eyeball killer how on earth are they going to see a tiny bike silhouette?

Too much thinking and not enough thought.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Possibly even more crap than that stupid one that uses a laser to project a green bicycle on the road ahead.
There are plenty of drivers out there who will automatically overtake or pull out in front of something they know to be a bicycle because of their perception that they will be "held up" at some point.

I reckon I benefit from having lights that people mistake for a car or motorcycle's - and because of what I wear and the way I ride, possibly a policeman.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gentlegreen wrote:... I reckon I benefit from having lights that people mistake for a car or motorcycle's - and because of what I wear and the way I ride, possibly a policeman.

Maybe there is a market for helmets shaped like Image

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Psamathe wrote:Maybe there is a market for helmets shaped like Image

To go with that, I suggest a cycle lamp like this one:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I wear a black jacket and a Sam Brown belt - not that the police wear them any more.. plus my lights are simply unusual (but not blue or flashing)
I suspect it's my upright posture and stern expression. :mrgreen:

I may have related this before, but I once had an ambulance follow me up my street and to my door when the casualty was several doors away.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

gentlegreen wrote:I wear a black jacket and a Sam Brown belt - not that the police wear them any more.. plus my lights are simply unusual (but not blue or flashing)
I suspect it's my upright posture and stern expression. :mrgreen:

I may have related this before, but I once had an ambulance follow me up my street and to my door when the casualty was several doors away.

One of the lads I cycle with wears a simple silver helmet, plain fluorescent yellow jacket, black trousers and rides and plain looking mountain bike. Even though I know I'm out riding with my mate I still occasionally do a double-take when my sub-concious yells at me "it's a copper".
Braveheart

Post by Braveheart »

Saw these lights demo'd at a stand at the Bike show at the Excel

My mate and I wrote them off immediately as a gimic. Drivers will only be confused by the image, even if they spot it. The girl on the stand was more interested in telling us that the concept had been crowd funded than the design features - says it all really.
..... they may take our lives.... but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Braveheart wrote:The girl on the stand was more interested in telling us that the concept had been crowd funded than the design features - says it all really.
And proves nothing. The 'crowd' in question could possibly have been drawn entirely from amongst denizens of the Daily Fail comments columns....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

661-Pete wrote:
Braveheart wrote:The girl on the stand was more interested in telling us that the concept had been crowd funded than the design features - says it all really.
And proves nothing. The 'crowd' in question could possibly have been drawn entirely from amongst denizens of the Daily Fail comments columns....

Tells you that noone with a track record in investment thought it was a good idea maybe...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I just had a look around their website. £45.00 for a front and rear set.

One of the photos of the rear light also shows a standard rear LED (for comparison?). When I say standard I mean basic, mounted behind the rear carrier.

I'm left wondering why they didn't show it with a rear LED in a similar price range, although I'm not wondering very much.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

They're doing complete light sets - front and rear - in Wilkinsons for £5.99 I think - including batteries. May not be up to much, but I'd hazard a guess that they're at least as bright and conspicuous as this - er - contraption. :?
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

The word "design" used to count for something.
These days it makes me expect to be disappointed when it relates to an area of life I have an interest in.
Revolution

Post by Revolution »

after reading the article I immediately checked the date ......expecting it to be April 1st :?