York 'bad' cycling video

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
johncarnie

York 'bad' cycling video

Post by johncarnie »

There is yet another cyclist bashing piece on the Daily Mail web site (material kindly provided by a cyclist - who wishes to remain anonymous - I wander why?) - I'll not bother to give you the link (it's easy enough to find)- but as always I had a look - and the usual comments were there - so my bp went up a few notches. Next time will someone hit me over the head with a crank if I even just open the first page!!! :(
Mark1978

Re: Why do I bother raising my blood pressure?

Post by Mark1978 »

York one?
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

Yep!
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

whilst I sympathise somewhat, the clue is "Daily Mail".an evil organisation which makes it's money by pandering and encouraging the base hatreds of its readership - eg against immigrants jews, bolsheviks, cyclists etc - and if readers can be encouraged to come out with even more outrageous stuff, then so much the better. Bear in mind even visiting their site to respond or be annoyed actually gives them money. If enough of us resist the temptation to check their latest outrages, then bit by bit we might at least their income - every farthing they don't get helps the cause of decency.

Only recently they accused Milliband's dad of being "The man who hated Britain" - he hated Britain so much after fleeing here from the Nazis that he served on a destoyer at D-day. A few years earlier the Mail had supported Hitler
gaz

Post by gaz »

johncarnie wrote:.... Next time will someone hit me over the head with a crank if I even just open the first page!!! :(

Mark1978 wrote:York one?

johncarnie wrote:Yep!

I wasn't aware that York made cranks, I do know that they make barbells and similar weight lifting equipment; so I agree, it should do the job :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
irc

Why You Don't Remove Jacket Whilst Cycling.

Post by irc »

From 2:36 in tthe video. A sore one. :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_oSt8v8Nk
Vantage

Re: Why You Don't Remove Jacket Whilst Cycling.

Post by Vantage »

That gave me a good chuckle :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

That 'remove jacket' one happened to me once, years ago! I wasn't taking any item of clothing off, I was carrying a loose bag on the handlebar (OK OK: me stupid!) and went over the bars :oops: just like that guy. Left my front teeth on the tarmac :( . Ah well, I was young in those days.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
horizon

Post by horizon »

I haven't read the comments but I thought it was a good video. It shows how cyclists behave in the real world. I do patiently and long sufferingly obey traffic rules but I can see why other people don't. I would like it to be compulsory viewing for highway engineers to show them how irrelevant most of what they do is for cyclists. Their work is best ignored. There is little that helps and guides cyclists (even in York) so no wonder people take the law into their own hands.

When stopped by two police officers (clipboards in hand) for cycling through the pedestrianised section of Newcastle under Lyme, I explained that the alternative was to use the dangerous by-pass. Since it was not the intention of the council that I should use it but nor could it have been their intention to stop me cycling across Newcastle, I would have to cycle along the pedestrianised streets. The sensible police officers accepted this without further protestation and I went on my way.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe they'll publish a balanced article where they show a video of all the highway code breaches by motorists recorded over three weeks in York, probably already a load in the video they already have.
boliston

Post by boliston »

The only dangerous bit of cycling I spotted, apart from taking off a jacket and trapping it in the front wheel was undertaking a car that was about to turn left, the rest was mainly a few cyclists going along pavements which apeared to be almost devoid of any pedestrians, and a middle aged lady on her phone cycling along a traffic free path.
jezer

Post by jezer »

The Daily Mail and the Mail on Sunday must surely be the ultimate read for small minded bigots everywhere. Please don't encourage them by reading or commentating on their links :cry:
Power to the pedals
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

While he was filming the guy in the blue jacket undertaking the silver convertible signalling left, he was busy undertaking the red hatchback while it too was signalling left. On another thread, someone recently asked me why I don't use a headcam. The words hoist and petard sprang immediately to mind.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Pompey Monkey

Post by Pompey Monkey »

Hahahahaahaha!

That'll go viral! :)
leftpoole

Well done!

Post by leftpoole »