walking more dangerous than cycling?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: walking more dangerous than cycling?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bicycler wrote:
skicat wrote:
Bicycler wrote:Are we into "did you spot the gorilla" territory? I never get those videos as I always see the thing i'm not meant to.

Isn't it the participants throwing the ball who are being tested in that experiment? Because they are concentrating so hard on their task, they miss the gorilla. As someone casually watching the video, you are not as engaged and therefore you would be expected to see it.

I had a big moment of doubt when I read this, but no it's definitely the viewer being tested: http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gori ... iment.html

And the viewer is trying to count the passes made by the team in white, so shouldn't be disengaged...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ellieb

Post by Ellieb »

Have a look at how many cyclists too. For 2011 the percentages of fatally injured cyclists and pedestrians over the drink drive limit were 19% and 37% respectively. Age profile differences don't help remove the gap either.

Well, the proportion of pedestrians is double that of cyclists, so it rather supports my point. Also, if a third of pedestrian casualties are due to being drunk it suggests that it isn't the mode of locomotion that is risky.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Bicycler wrote:I had a big moment of doubt when I read this, but no it's definitely the viewer being tested: http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gori ... iment.html

And the viewer is trying to count the passes made by the team in white, so shouldn't be disengaged...

Yeah, honestly I didn't know what it was about when I first did it and I was counting the passes but still saw the ruddy great gorilla. But then if you look they only say that more than half didn't see it so maybe 1/3 of people did and i'm not exactly unusual. Either way, I'm not doubting the effect exists.
skicat

Post by skicat »

Bicycler wrote:
skicat wrote:
Bicycler wrote:Are we into "did you spot the gorilla" territory? I never get those videos as I always see the thing i'm not meant to.

Isn't it the participants throwing the ball who are being tested in that experiment? Because they are concentrating so hard on their task, they miss the gorilla. As someone casually watching the video, you are not as engaged and therefore you would be expected to see it.

I had a big moment of doubt when I read this, but no it's definitely the viewer being tested: http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/gori ... iment.html

Ah yes, so it is. It's a few years since I looked at that.
The hurrier I go, the behinder I get
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Ellieb wrote:Well, the proportion of pedestrians is double that of cyclists, so it rather supports my point.

Not really. If means a small correction to the 6x more dangerous per km figure but not one large enough to come anywhere near reducing it to 1x or less. Both per km and per hour cycling remains much safer than walking.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

How many viewers of the silly video expressed a preference to be out riding their bicycles?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ayesha wrote:How many viewers of the silly video expressed a preference to be out riding their bicycles?

I did, but I was in the office, so I couldn't avail myself of that activity...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

How many cyclists are so attentative on the traffic that they completely miss the Hedge Sparrow that flew across their path?
Or was it a House Sparrow?

Whatever it was, the road traffic was the most important issue at that moment.

If the bird had hit my eyes and brought me off in front of a 30 ton truck, it would have been important. But it didn’t, so it wasn’t.

The point is. ‘What’s not important, gets ignored.” Just like the stupid bloke in the gorilla suit.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ayesha wrote:How many cyclists are so attentative on the traffic that they completely miss the Hedge Sparrow that flew across their path?

Whatever it was, the road traffic was the most important issue at that moment.

If the bird had hit my eyes and brought me off in front of a 30 ton truck, it would have been important. But it didn’t, so it wasn’t.

The point is. ‘What’s not important, gets ignored.” Just like the stupid bloke in the gorilla suit.

And to some motorists cyclists are "not important".

It's not as much importance as what you are looking for. If I look down a road for a car I might not see a cyclist, motorcyclist, pedestrian, lorry even. If I look down the road for another road user then I would likely see any of the above.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ayesha wrote:How many cyclists are so attentative on the traffic that they completely miss the Hedge Sparrow that flew across their path?

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen sparrow? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vorpal wrote:

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen sparrow? :wink:

European or African?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Duchess of Cornwall's brother died after a fall (walking, apparently).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
And to some motorists cyclists are "not important".

It's not as much importance as what you are looking for. If I look down a road for a car I might not see a cyclist, motorcyclist, pedestrian, lorry even. If I look down the road for another road user then I would likely see any of the above.

A line of about six vehicles passed me yesterday on a stretch of road near where I live that I've had more close encounters than I care to mention.
The first three gave me plenty of room,the fourth nearly took off my right elbow.
I knew,due to the traffic I'd catch up with him,as it happened he turned into a pub car park 1/2 a mile further on,on following him in and asking him why he overtook me so close,his answer was where,where did I do that?
I won't say what my reply was but it wasn't pleasant.
They don't see cyclists because they've more 'important' things on their minds,this goon's 'importance' was a pint.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden